IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

Now there seems to be something called Ifi Purifier too:

IFI iPURIFIER INLINE USB AUDIO CONDITIONER at Music Direct

Interesting gizmo. I've been happy with the iFi i-USB Power Supply.

So if I got one of these iFi iPurifiers, would I place it between the USB cable coming from computer and the USB Power Supply?

Or would I place it between the USB Power Supply and the next step in my system, the Bel Canto uLink?

Not clear, because it's not clear exactly what the iPurifier does or how it does it.

Dave, who says he might take a chance for $99 especially from Music Direct since he could return the iPurifier if it does zilch

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now there seems to be something called Ifi Purifier too:

IFI iPURIFIER INLINE USB AUDIO CONDITIONER at Music Direct

I've seen this type of device before. They are not compatible with numerous DACs. It probably depends on whether your converter or DAC uses the USB bus for power, "handshake', or not at all. I would certainly investigate it furthur before purchasing this "magic" device.

After reading the whole thread I have a couple of questions left for those in the know.

1. Does the IFI cut both pin 4 (ground) and pin 5 (shield/drain ground) USB connections, or is the shield still connected?

2. Does the IFI cut pin 1 (5v) USB connection completely, and thus no 5v is being drawn at all from the computer's motherboard, or does it just filter the 5v coming from the computer?

3. If the IFI does cut pin 1 (5v) completely, why would you still need an SOTM USB card?

4. Has anyone tried replacing the SOTM USB card with using the motherboard's USB instead in conjunction with the IFI?

Cheers

I just bought the iusb and first auditions are positive. But I am not sure about the provided blue usb cable quality.

Do you think a better cable will have better sound.

I already use a Wireworld platinum on the dac side and thinking to test a mapleshade or totaldac usb cable for the other side ( mbp -->iusb).

Looking forward to your feedback.

-.- Also the iusb does not supply the extra power needed from the ipad2 and camera kit to work with dac.

!

I shared your impression rearding the blue USB cable quality, which is why after getting the iUSB I quickly got the iGemini cable. I did not A-B to test whether it made an audible difference, but the iGemini cable looks very audiophile, which is already a source of satisfaction in itself :-)

Boris75 thanks for your reply.

Basically my question is that iusb needs 2 usb cables , so is it essential to be both aftermarket?

I already have one Wireworld platinum from iusb to dac and need to know if the second usb cable from computer to iusb device have to be a good one too or the supplied blue one from ifi is sufficient?

!

After reading the whole thread I have a couple of questions left for those in the know.

1. Does the IFI cut both pin 4 (ground) and pin 5 (shield/drain ground) USB connections, or is the shield still connected?

2. Does the IFI cut pin 1 (5v) USB connection completely, and thus no 5v is being drawn at all from the computer's motherboard, or does it just filter the 5v coming from the computer?

3. If the IFI does cut pin 1 (5v) completely, why would you still need an SOTM USB card?

4. Has anyone tried replacing the SOTM USB card with using the motherboard's USB instead in conjunction with the IFI?

Cheers

I would very-much like to see these questions answered too. Specifically questions 3 & 4 above are what I am also wondering about. Has anyone tried this with a generic USB card? Because it really seems like this unit should render the SOTM USB card to be useless. Or am I missing something?

AFAIK the answer to question 2 above is that it is supplying fresh, DC, not filtered DC from the computer, which seems to be the whole point.

Also: Did Ted ever link to his review of this unit? I'm very eager to read about his experience with this unit.

Do you mean this review he did of the iFi?

iFi iUSB Power Supply : HPSoundings

that's a very nice write-up. thanks for that.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Boris75 thanks for your reply.

Basically my question is that iusb needs 2 usb cables , so is it essential to be both aftermarket?

I already have one Wireworld platinum from iusb to dac and need to know if the second usb cable from computer to iusb device have to be a good one too or the supplied blue one from ifi is sufficient?

I use a Wireworld Ultraviolet from my Macbook to the iUSB, but this is primarily because the blue one from iFi is too short secondarily because the Ultraviolet looks nicer. I did no sound comparison but, if the iUSB does what it advertises, the cable from the computer to the iUSB should make no difference.

When I bought my iFi USB, I originally had a WW Starlight, I put on a cheap USB cable as I was waiting for my WW Silver Starlight to come in. I thought it sounded fine and I noticed a slight improvement. Not a ton and was thinking about returning the iFi. I had the cheap USB going from PC to iFi and starlight to MF V-Link192. I did swap them but thought it sounded better this way.

Once I got the Silver Starlight, I put that in the mix as PC -> Starlight -> iFi -> Silver Startlight -> MF V-Link192. I thought this sounded much better and I figured the silver starlight would work better since it would carry the signal and the power that I wasn't throwing away. The detail in the signal seemed a little bit more clear than it had, bass was ever so slightly tighter.

I then swapped the cables, being curious and found that I actually liked the Silver Starlight between the PC and iFi better... my guess is that the noise from the PC was effecting the signal more than the power coming from the iFi to the MF Vlink192. To me this sounded a little bit more clear and the sound stage was a little bit better.

So of course, noting that I liked each due to different things... the only course was to get another silver starlight. That to me made everything cohesive. It just brought everything together. No longer did I feel like one way was lacking vs another. I figured I have the same transport path (even though I'm dumping the power half way), so then there's no need to worry.

To me it just rounded everything out for the better. I will say I think the upgraded cables did as much or more then the iFi USB did.... guessing my power isn't all that bad (well it's not now especially since I have the iFi plugged into a PSAudio P10. That's where the magic happened.

Boris and Pewter thanks for the input.

Ifi worked very well for me with the Platinum starlight from ifi to dac and plain supplied usb on the other side. Break in also made a slight improvement.

Now I'm in a process to examine the supplied usb, the power side from mbp to ifi.

First I will test if another usb cable makes any difference, then I will test the starlight (red) and if I see that this brings better results I will see for a better one, although I can't afford another one Platinum starlight.

Maybe the mapleshade or vue.

Will let you know though.

!

Waiting for mine to come in, but I am planning on running my good USB cable (longer) from computer to ifi and will try to tape off (+) on pin 4 of the USB cable at the computer, and use a short generic 6" USB cable from iFi to DAC.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I ordered one of these to try. I have big power isolators so I am sure of the benefits. Has anybody run one of these with 2 Diamond cables? Is it a lot better?

I also wonder if this will work to blend the best of 2 different USB cables like the Diamond and Purist Ultimate or maybe the Lightspeed.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I ordered one of these to try. I have big power isolators so I am sure of the benefits. Has anybody run one of these with 2 Diamond cables? Is it a lot better?

I also wonder if this will work to blend the best of 2 different USB cables like the Diamond and Purist Ultimate or maybe the Lightspeed.

I am NOT sure of the benefits. Sorry

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Waiting for mine to come in, but I am planning on running my good USB cable (longer) from computer to ifi and will try to tape off (+) on pin 4 of the USB cable at the computer, and use a short generic 6" USB cable from iFi to DAC.

In my case I believe the USB receiver in the DAC benefits from good USB cables in both sides of the IfI USB PSU.

From computer to iFI I use a 1.0 meter Wireworld Starlight, from iFI to DAC the 1.0 meter dual conduit Acoustic Revive USB cable, or, 1.5 meter dual conduit iFI USB cable. I believe it changed a lot the SQ when I replaced the generic USB cable that came with iFI USB PSU (from computer to iFI PSU).

My impressions between the iFI dual conduit & Acoustic Revive dual conduit USB cables? Both are very good, but the harmonic richness from the Acoustic Revive are hard to reach, but maybe the iFI could be a little more neutral, then the millage could vary and depends on your musical taste. (I'm sorry if this last sentence is out of thread).

Roch

In my case I believe the USB receiver in the DAC benefits from good USB cables in both sides of the IfI USB PSU.

From computer to iFI I use a 1.0 meter Wireworld Starlight, from iFI to DAC the 1.0 meter dual conduit Acoustic Revive USB cable, or, 1.5 meter dual conduit iFI USB cable. I believe it changed a lot the SQ when I replaced the generic USB cable that came with iFI USB PSU (from computer to iFI PSU).

My impressions between the iFI dual conduit & Acoustic Revive dual conduit USB cables? Both are very good, but the harmonic richness from the Acoustic Revive are hard to reach, but maybe the iFI could be a little more neutral, then the millage could vary and depends on your musical taste. (I'm sorry if this last sentence is out of thread).

Roch

Same findings here. You need 2 good quality usb cables to work right otherwise not sure it works well.

After many tests I preferred with my ww platinum starlight direct to dac.

But when I replaced the ifi generic usb cable, things chAnged.

Many tests again and found that the best usb cable should come out first.

From computer (mbp) ww platinum --> ifi iusb --> Vue usb cable --> dac.

Also that way you get best parts of both cables.

Ww platinum is more dynamic neutral and fast but Vue has slightly better soundstage and much better deeper liquid midrange. In the end all this blend together.

So I am not so sure to suggest ifi iusb without invest in 2 very good usb cables and this comes more and more expensive.

Still will try to audition other usb cables but can't afford a second ww platinum.

Keep testing and let you know.

!

Roch

is the iFi usb psu still worth it after the SD card trick ?

is the iFi usb psu still worth it after the SD card trick ?

I guess it depends on your DAC USB input interface. If selfpowered or not. But even with my PB DAC (that is selfpowered) benefits from the ground isolation.

To me, SD card trick is not a permanent solution. Under huge music library, Thunderbolt Hard Drives, internal SSD for the OS & LPSU for the Mac Mini I'm very happy.

Please remember, the more you can listen 'inside' the music (as in the SD card trick), the more you can fine tune another details that refine the SQ.

Roch

What is the SD card trick?

See: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/attention-current-mac-mini-users-boot-mavericks-sd-card-load-ramdisk-dismount-your-internal-sata-drives-and-pour-drink-musicians-walking-out-your-speakers-18159/#post270162

But then be sure to read my newest report: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/uh-oh-i-beat-my-sd-card-trick%3B-bypass-your-ethernet-switch-and-make-your-external-drives-sound-close-ram-disk-using-apple-thunderbolt-ethernet-adaptor-and-second-network-connection-18475/#post277280

Its kind of specific to a dual Mac set-up, but it does show promise. I think it works so well because Macs with SDXC slots (as opposed to early MacBook Pros with SD slots on the USB bus) share the same controller chip as is used for Ethernet.

Cheers,

ALEX C.

I guess it depends on your DAC USB input interface. If selfpowered or not. But even with my PB DAC (that is selfpowered) benefits from the ground isolation.

To me, SD card trick is not a permanent solution. Under huge music library, Thunderbolt Hard Drives, internal SSD for the OS & LPSU for the Mac Mini I'm very happy.

Please remember, the more you can listen 'inside' the music (as in the SD card trick), the more you can fine tune another details that refine the SQ.

Roch

thank you. I agree that more definition calls for more issues solving ; but since sd card trick and ifi usb psu both deal with the same issues i wondered if they were redundant.

Actually I have a TEAC 501 and maybe could you tell me please if the TEAC specifically benefits from the iFi. Btw, how far from your PD does it perform? Have you compared your mini+sd card trick to an expensive transport?

Booting on the sd card is not top convenient and you need to be meticulous. But i kind of like the idea of temporarily "creating" a super transport from my mbp, just when i really want to listen to music and do nothing else: i'm committing to music and can't browse internet, write or whatever at the same time and it's good. My music is stored on a Time Capsule (latest, 5GHZ band) and I was already used to importing files in a local folder: doesn't change much my habits. BTW, it works perfectly (about 1GB/1mn is a transfer time I accept) and I can't hear any downside, i don't even turn off my wifi once the files are loaded