IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

I hadn’t considered exploring just what and how much, if any, the USB power from my MBP (into my DAC) might be effecting and degrading my sound quality until recently. I hadn’t been concerned about it because my DAC is one which is designed not to use the USB power in its USB module. And I try not to get overly compulsive with refinements. But there was obviously room for improvement as they say ;)

I put into play this power accessory called the iFi iUSB Power Supply module last week . What it does - bottom line - is stop dead the power supply coming out of the computer through your USB cable and injects a new clean (audio grade level) power supply from its dedicated source. You run a supplied USB cable from your computer’s USB port into one end of the module - with your DAC’s USB connected and running out the other end (monkey tailed)

The degree to which it lowered the noise level floor (even with my MBP plugged into a passive power conditioner) surprised me. A noticeable difference in clarity and purity of the sound - which I always welcome. All the instrumental and voice elements in the recording were more present, vivid with a cleaner separation. Black was blacker. A nice tweak. I am attaching some photos. Worth exploring...

P1060082.JPG

P1060079.JPG

P1060080.JPG

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)

It's on test loan from Avatar Acoustics... It sells for $200. My system is tube-based and pretty revealing. When I took the module out, I could hear the graininess and the slight edginess return. A subtle overlay of what I call hashiness. Something that would not have been that evident unless I had listened for a week with the power supply. I consider my system pretty clean

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)

I saw these at the recent National Audio Show at Whittelbury Hall in the UK and I had a listen to the headphone amplifier, USB power and DAC - sound quality was very good. The USB mains cleaner was of interest to me and I asked Vince of AMR if he thought it would improve things much re the DP777 and he felt it would to an extent but it was really more aimed at other USB DACS - as well as being used with the other Ifi products - as the DP777 already had some aspects of the Ifi USB Power built into it already.

I assume you hooked this in-between your computer/mac and the DP777? If so it makes me want to try one in my own set up sooner rather than later.

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

'Its only by asking questions that we can learn'

Very interesting.

Earlier today I had been searching (without success) for an audiophile-grade powered USB hub. I currently am using a $20 Belkin powered USB hub and since this is at the front end of my system, and I am sure the cheap and presumably very noisy power supply that comes with the Belkin is introducing problems downstream in my system. Of course, I have a Bel Canto uLink Asynchronous USB/SPDIF converter between my Mac and my DAC, and the uLink features filters to cancel out the noise coming from the computer's USB hub, so that may be sufficient to cancel out any power noise from the Belkin, which would make the iFi redundant in my system.

If I am following this product correctly, this iFi is basically a high-end powered USB hub.

I would definitely be interested in trying out this device.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I assume this is a new AMR product from the posts in this thread. It is not on the AMR website.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

The Item is part of a new range manufactured by Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) I am actually surprised the Ifi range is available already as I thought it might be a wee bit longer till they would be on the shelves. I recall Vince telling me that all the items are class a and analogue in terms of their function.

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

'Its only by asking questions that we can learn'

Blake, actually there are quite a few of such devices about such as the Aqvox usb isolator. I personally have a vaunix though I don't really use it as often now.

It's important to check the speed of these devices, and if it can passthrough usb2.0 for hi-res.

It does.... I had a conversation with Vince Luke at AMR. Loesch their designer is really into hi-res.

Alex

I assume this is a new AMR product from the posts in this thread. It is not on the AMR website.

I think it was presented at RMAF... mine is on loan from Avatar Acoustics, their distributor in the States. I am sure they can tell you it's availability. I have the AMR DP777... and was surprised to see how its inclusion really gave a real nice tweak to the clarity of the audio image.

Alex

From my understanding - which is limited - you have two sources of power contamination and degrade emanating from the PC.. the power that is going into the computer itself... and that includes battery generated power within the laptop... And then you have the multiple switch mode power supply (SMPS) within the laptop itsle, which cannot be fixed at source - a power conditioner. So to one degree or another - the laptop/desktop is generating noise throughout the system. How much difference the elimination will make within your system? - only YMMV will determine.

This is my understanding of SMPS generated noise. It is outside of the range of power conditioners that primarily deal with EI and Torroidal transformers - and essentially do not address this kind of contamination. If one had a power generator or conditioner that truly filtered SMPS noise, then you would have addressed the SMPS contaminating the local power pool. However, you would still NOT have addressed the USB line negatively impacting the DAC.

My read on this? You try it, explore it... if it alters your listening experience, enhances the quality of the sound.. pursue it. I live in NYC and have grit all over the place ;)

Alex

Thanks for the info on the iFi Alex. I am going to go ahead and purchase it. I will contact Avatar tomorrow and check on availability. Thanks for the head's up.

From my understanding - which is limited - you have two sources of power contamination and degrade emanating from the PC.. the power that is going into the computer itself... and that includes battery generated power within the laptop... And then you have the multiple switch mode power supply (SMPS) within the laptop itsle, which cannot be fixed at source - a power conditioner. So to one degree or another - the laptop/desktop is generating noise throughout the system. How much difference the elimination will make within your system? - only YMMV will determine.

This is my understanding of SMPS generated noise. It is outside of the range of power conditioners that primarily deal with EI and Torroidal transformers - and essentially do not address this kind of contamination. If one had a power generator or conditioner that truly filtered SMPS noise, then you would have addressed the SMPS contaminating the local power pool. However, you would still NOT have addressed the USB line negatively impacting the DAC.

My read on this? You try it, explore it... if it alters your listening experience, enhances the quality of the sound.. pursue it. I live in NYC and have grit all over the place ;)

I'm still confused. If the DAC supplies its own power to the USB chip, how would this ifi iUSB gadget improve the sound? The USB power from the upstream, either cleaned or contaminated, is discarded by the DAC anyway.

I would suggest you invite a few friends over and ask for second/third ... opinions.

I'm still confused. If the DAC supplies its own power to the USB chip, how would this ifi iUSB gadget improve the sound? The USB power from the upstream, either cleaned or contaminated, is discarded by the DAC anyway.

I would suggest you invite a few friends over and ask for second/third ... opinions.

Nearly all high end components with USB inputs require power from the USB port. I currently have one DAC here that powers the USB receiver chip, the ASUS Xonar Essence One.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The majority of DACs actually USE this contaminated power coming out of the computer and running through the USB cable in their DAC's USB module. This third party power supply may have minimal impact on a DAC that purely draws the power internally. I have one .... but still clearly hear a cleaner quieter sound image. Mind you I have a new pair of highly revealing speaker cables that I am also currently trying out on a pair of Quad57s... and it's hard to miss the difference in these old ears with the iUSB out. But, that's me.

Alex

The majority of DACs actually USE this contaminated power coming out of the computer and running through the USB cable in their DAC's USB module. This third party power supply may have minimal impact on a DAC that purely draws the power internally. I have one .... but still clearly hear a cleaner quieter sound image. Mind you I have a new pair of highly revealing speaker cables that I am also currently trying out on a pair of Quad57s... and it's hard to miss the difference in these old ears with the iUSB out. But, that's me.

I am not generally a skeptic (at least not regarding things where I can conceive, after 35 years of tweaking, that there could be a difference), and I love my linear PS for my Mac mini, etc.

And I do certainly expect that providing cleaner USB power for a DAC input will make a very nice difference (my DAC is having an XMOS-based 24/192 input board installed, and I insisted that it get its own internal PS and not draw from the bus).

However, although the AMR DP777 is certainly a very nicely engineered high-end DAC, I suspect it is doing something with the +5V coming in on a regular USB line. Otherwise, your iFi iUSB supply really should not make a difference. Unless the cleanliness of its output is beneficial just by being wrapped along the cable before the DAC.

The only surefire way to determine if your DAC is truly not using the USB power line is to cut a very narrow piece of biz-card-thick paper and fold it so it covers pin #1 of the USB A end of the cable at your computer. That will prevent any 5V power from going down the line. If your DAC still runs, then it really does not use USB power--and I will be stumped about why the iUSB supply is improving the sound with the AMR DP777.

Ordered and on its way. By the way, the people at Avatar Acoustics are terrific to deal with.

How much is that thing anyway?

$200 plus $17 shipping in the U.S.

I can't explain it. I just hear it in the clarity of the playback when I pulled the iUSB out. iUSB has 2 things going for it... the power and the ground loop breaker. For all I know, there might be the possibility that the power from the iUSB is enhancing the performance my Audioquest Coffee USB cable...

Alex

I will try it in my system soon. Even if the USB chip is not powered from computer, I still think the iUSBPower will surely help by:

1. breaking the noisy ground loops between the PC and the DAC

2. eliminates cross contamination of the data lines (D+/D-) by the noisy the power line (VBus).

3. Even the DAC may not be powered from the PC, it's USB input receiver IC is often powered from the PC or has a hard connection with the noisy power line (VBus) from the PC.

The second point above may need more explanation: basically as the 4 wires (VBus, GND, D+,D-) in USB cable are closely blundered together, there will surely be crosstalk contamination happening. But if the power is very clean, pure DC, no AC noise at all, then it can't contamination the data lines (D+/D-), so the data lines are more clean, less jitter etc. Just like optimising a computer for audio playback, which in a sense is optimising the quality of the power lines and data lines on the USB.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

I will try it in my system soon. Even if the USB chip is not powered from computer, I still think the iUSBPower will surely help by:

1. breaking the noisy ground loops between the PC and the DAC

2. eliminates cross contamination of the data lines (D+/D-) by the noisy the power line (VBus).

3. Even the DAC may not be powered from the PC, it's USB input receiver IC is often powered from the PC or has a hard connection with the noisy power line (VBus) from the PC.

Thanks, DM. I don't think the improvement that I am hearing is caused by the ground loop breaker as i hear no difference with it on or off. My hunch is that it is closer to your point (2) helping to eliminate the possible cross contamination of the data line by the VBus.

Vincent Luke of AMR advised me that because the AMR USB chip is internally powered, my benefits may be subtle or very little, if any. What I heard through my 57Quads was enough for me to want to keep it in. In the end, you trust your ears... and theory may or may not furnish you with an explanation. With those of you who have DACs that feed their USB chips through internal power, I am sure the experience will vary. But the possibility of a cleaner sound, greater clarity is always worth the venture... don't you think? ;)

Alex

So is this product from AMR? Sorry I'm a little dense this morning. If it is, wondering why Vince would say it would make very little difference in conjunction with the DP777; OP's findings notwithstanding. Is it intended for use with other manufacturers' DACs.

Regardless, I think I'll try one.

So is this product from AMR? Sorry I'm a little dense this morning. If it is, wondering why Vince would say it would make very little difference in conjunction with the DP777; OP's findings notwithstanding. Is it intended for use with other manufacturers' DACs.

Regardless, I think I'll try one.

Yes, it is from AMR. The dealer I purchased from said that AMR found that the iFi improved the DP777 sound by 5-7%. With other USB DAC's, the improvement was up to 30%. Of course this is all very much subjective and who knows what it will do in different systems. But for $200, even a 3-5% improvement would be worth the money IMHO. Additionally, the iFi's power supply was designed in-house by AMR specifically for the iFi, it is not an off-the-shelf supply that AMR sourced from another company.