IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

Apologies if I missed an entry above, but has anyone tried the iUSB with a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192? I use this to feed SPDIF to a Metrum Octave DAC.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Anyone tried using the super duper ifi 9v smps to power the SOTM PCIE USB card? I believe it also takes 9v. I just don't know if the pin size is the same as the ifi. It may be worth a go.

Yes, I powered the SotM card directly with the iFI if that's what you mean. I liked it ok (i.e better than mobo powered), but actually liked using the iFi in series in its classical setup better (especially with an AR dual conduit cable). Strange, I know, in that it uses another cable (umbilical from SOtM card to ifi) and connection, but also might do a better job of isolation? My HPSoundings review has been done for a few weeks; I expect it to publish asap.

Ted. You are always one step ahead. :-) I thought they both looked like 2.5mm. I wonder if ifi would sell just the smps by itself and I could try using it to power the sotm pcie AND use the ifi usb after?

Yes, I powered the SotM card directly with the iFI if that's what you mean. I liked it ok (i.e better than mobo powered), but actually liked using the iFi in series in its classical setup better (especially with an AR dual conduit cable). Strange, I know, in that it uses another cable (umbilical from SOtM card to ifi) and connection, but also might do a better job of isolation? My HPSoundings review has been done for a few weeks; I expect it to publish asap.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Ted. You are always one step ahead. :-) I thought they both looked like 2.5mm. I wonder if ifi would sell just the smps by itself and I could try using it to power the sotm pcie AND use the ifi usb after?

I thought of that while doing the review. But...isn't the power from the iFi a new beginning as it were...i.e not a filter but in fact a completely new power supply for the attached USB cable. So not sure what giving the upstream SOtM card a decent power source would get us. Won't it simply be "replaced" by the iFi SMPS anyway?

Even if you switch the vbus power off on the SOTM PCIE card, it still needs power to run. I would think the 9v power would still be better than powering off the mobo.

I thought of that while doing the review. But...isn't the power from the iFi a new beginning as it were...i.e not a filter but in fact a completely new power supply for the attached USB cable. So not sure what giving the upstream SOtM card a decent power source would get us. Won't it simply be "replaced" by the iFi SMPS anyway?

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Yes, they plan on selling the SMPS by itself for about $40 (ie 25 GBP).

I received my iUSB power supply today and have it hooked up between a MacBook and a Schiit Bifrost. How much burn in time should it take before I start to see some sound improvement?

I also noticed an immediate improvement...slightly quieter background and a smoother presentation. I played with the iFi plug's orientation but found little discernible difference.

You did say you also noticed immediate improvement, so I assumed you were referring to my post that said the same. You can see the confusion...

Anyway, the iso-earth is not supposed to work in every case, its for setups where there is a grounding issue and its hard to know beforehand. This is why I advised the OP to toggle the switch to see if there is a difference.

I also noticed an immediate improvement...slightly quieter background and a smoother presentation. I played with the iFi plug's orientation but found little discernible difference.

I have let the iUSB run all night playing music. I really can't tell if its made any real change to the sound of the Bifrost yet. I have had the Bifrost for a little over a month now and it has had a long break-in period. It has just kept getting better detail since I first go it. Things that were omitted, smeared, bleared are now coming through with such detail and resolution. I will give the iUSB a few more days to see if its worth keeping or returning.

Lee, what kind of USB cables are you using with the iFi? What is your USB source? Are you sure the Bifrost even uses the computer's 5V? Has the ground switch made any difference?

Lee, what kind of USB cables are you using with the iFi? What is your USB source? Are you sure the Bifrost even uses the computer's 5V? Has the ground switch made any difference?

I am using Pangea pure silver USB cables. They have displaced my Audioquest cables. The source is a MacBook running Lyon and Decibel. That's a good question if the Bifrost even cares about the computer's 5V. I am going to email Jason@schiit and ask about if it uses, senses or blocks out the computer's 5V source. From what I have read here and from Michael at Audiostream the amount of difference the iUSB will have varies from DAC to DAC due to their individual design. I just got my SX-1080 back from being serviced and brought back to spec yesterday afternoon. It will be a couple of days before I can make an honest evaluation of the iUSB.