IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

I said in my post above that it was from the Best USB thread...read again! Here is my post from the Best USB cable thread. Note the Q&A on the ideal cable length and the response:

I have no connections (I work in pharma, this is just a hobby)...just enthusiastic, since I LOVE the concept and pricing and a buddy got the iPhono on a whim based on my suggestion and said it bested his $5k phono stage!

The post got not much traction on the other thread and here is was answering a DIRECT question from Dallas J.

So this is where the IFI action is! Thanks for posting all the info wisnon. Thorsten has come to save the day. Now if he could just be convinced to make an affordable power supply for low-power computers (like the budget CAPS)...

I said in my post above that it was from the Best USB thread...read again! Here is my post from the Best USB cable thread. Note the Q&A on the ideal cable length and the response:

I have no connections (I work in pharma, this is just a hobby)...just enthusiastic, since I LOVE the concept and pricing and a buddy got the iPhono on a whim based on my suggestion and said it bested his $5k phono stage!

The post got not much traction on the other thread and here is was answering a DIRECT question from Dallas J.

Wait, you work in pharma and are complaining about industry pricing. I wish iFi was making drugs...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

So this is where the IFI action is! Thanks for posting all the info wisnon. Thorsten has come to save the day. Now if he could just be convinced to make an affordable power supply for low-power computers (like the budget CAPS)...

I think they may offer the 9v SMPS for about $40 or so....same one that powers the iFi products. Good for the SB Duet.

Or buy the full iUSB package for $200 and as it comes with a USB to DC cable, you can also have 5v power....this would cover the SB Touch. wink, wink.

Wait, you work in pharma and are complaining about industry pricing. I wish iFi was making drugs...

Small Pharma with no patent protection. We dont get those exorbitant US type prices!

Also, where did you see me complaining? I posted a link to stir debate and it worked. LoL

Small Pharma with no patent protection. We dont get those exorbitant US type prices!

Also, where did you see me complaining? I posted a link to stir debate and it worked. LoL

Too bad for you, they rake it in over here!

Forrest:

In addition to a USB cable, iUSB now comes with an USB to DC cable as well, which was talked about in earlier posts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3141[/ATTACH]

I bought one of the very early units without the USB to DC cable. Anyone knows how and where to get the USB to DC cable?

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

I bought one of the very early units without the USB to DC cable. Anyone knows how and where to get the USB to DC cable?

I'd just ask them for one.

Forrest:

It seemed promising and I was close to buying one, but after reading Darko's review, I think I'll wait. I just got done with a JKSPDIF and didn't think much of it either. Maybe that's my queue to lay off the battery-buffered devices for a bit.

I wouldn't mind giving that new USB/spdif converter a shot and running it into a Bifrost.

Spent some time with US AMR/iFi distributor Darren Censullo at CEs today. I heard the phono pre; it's quite amazing, as Wisnon pointed out. Darren did not have the Gemini prototype yet. Looks like it will sell for like $75 for .75M and twice that for 1.5M. They will also have a single conduit version, perfect for replacing the generic blue umbilical included.

It seemed promising and I was close to buying one, but after reading Darko's review, I think I'll wait. I just got done with a JKSPDIF and didn't think much of it either. Maybe that's my queue to lay off the battery-buffered devices for a bit.

I wouldn't mind giving that new USB/spdif converter a shot and running it into a Bifrost.

I dont understand...no IFI product is battery powered....that is the point!

Nothing was negative in the darko review as he clearly stated that his sample ifi iDAC was faulty!

I was wondering about upgrading from my current AQVOX to the iUSB for to supply power to my Audiophilleo AP2 USB/SPDIF converter, but this excerpt of Darko's review convinced me that it was not worthwhile (especially given that I cannot try it at home before buying):

Only very minor improvements were observed with the iFi iUSBPower acting as intermediary for USB-S/PDIF convertors; such was the hair-splitting nature of observations that drove me to distractive doubt. Double-blind boys would have a field day.
I was wondering about upgrading from my current AQVOX to the iUSB for to supply power to my Audiophilleo AP2 USB/SPDIF converter, but this excerpt of Darko's review convinced me that it was not worthwhile (especially given that I cannot try it at home before buying):

Thanks for flagging this. I was also tempted by adding an IUSB power to my Belcanto mLink. I should probably stop tinkering and buy more music instead.

Actually in page 8, Liam said both together works better than either alone...Aqvox+iUSB.

Thanks for flagging this. I was also tempted by adding an IUSB power to my Belcanto mLink. I should probably stop tinkering and buy more music instead.

MMMM. Not sure...

Both the Wyred4Sound uLINK and Resonessence Labs Concero (as USB-S/PDIF convertor) sounded better with the iFi candy bar in the chain…I think. Perhaps. Let’s conclude with ‘inconclusive‘.

I dont understand...no IFI product is battery powered....that is the point!

Nothing was negative in the darko review as he clearly stated that his sample ifi iDAC was faulty!

You're right! Every time I see "Clean Power Supply" I think it involves batteries.

As previously pointed out, Darko made it seem like the gains were slight.

Squidly,

Only for SOME USB/Spdif converters. It was inconclusive overall for converters but overwhelmingly positive for direct USB input on Dacs.

At this price, for me it is worth having in the arsenal as I can power SBT and Duet with the iUSB or its 9v very low noise SMPS as well as isolate the DAC from the PC. Very versatile and priced to attract, not to horrify.

Actually in page 8, Liam said both together works better than either alone...Aqvox+iUSB.

Yes, but Liam uses this Aqvox+iUSB combo to feed his DAC directly. Darko finds that the iUSB brings clear improvements when using the USB input on the DAC but "inconclusive" results when using the iUSB to power USB-SPDIF converters. Somehow the idea of placing an Aqvox, a iUSB and a SPDIF-USB converter between my Macbook and my DAC feels like overkill to me.

Correct Boris...I am in agreement.

However, the iUsb is more versatile that that. You can use it to power SB Touch 5v and Duet 9v as well as to isolate external HDs from the computer and hear improvement.

All in all for $200, its nice to have in the kitty. A great tweak and not something that creates a big financial exposure...

I really enjoy Darko's reviews and his website.

One item to note with respect to his review, and his comments on the relatively minor or questionable improvements noted when the iUSB connects to a USB/SPDIF converter- the Concero has its own power supply (in this scenario, Darko experimenting with improvements to USB/SPDIF converters, Darko was using the Concero as a converter, then presumably sending the signal on to another DAC), and the Wyred4Sound uLink has an optional power supply. I did not see where Darko mentions whether or not his Wyred4Sound was using the optional power supply.

I think that the iUSB will have a greater sonic benefit to USB/SPDIF converters that get power from the computer's USB buss, than it will for converters with an independent power source.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I really enjoy Darko's reviews and his website.

One item to note with respect to his review, and his comments on the relatively minor or questionable improvements noted when the iUSB connects to a USB/SPDIF converter- the Concero has its own power supply (in this scenario, Darko experimenting with improvements to USB/SPDIF converters, Darko was using the Concero as a converter, then presumably sending the signal on to another DAC), and the Wyred4Sound uLink has an optional power supply. I did not see where Darko mentions whether or not his Wyred4Sound was using the optional power supply.

I think that the iUSB will have a greater sonic benefit to USB/SPDIF converters that get power from the computer's USB buss, than it will for converters with an independent power source.

Another reason may be that most SPDIF inputs (and outputs) use pulse transformers providing some isolation, and therefore the USB receiver and +/- are further removed from the DAC.

Forrest:

4est- Good point. I had not thought about that.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I received Bel Canto mLink and the iUSBPower together on the same day and added them one by one to my system. The iUSB had a higher impact in SQ than the Bel Canto mLink (in my system). And iUSB was half price the Bel Canto mLink. Very likely my MBP is a noisy computer transport and the iUSB clears up the sound.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25