IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

This sounds weird to me since iUSB should have sufficient power to feed your DAC. Have you tried MacBook Pro > uArt > iUSB > AQ Coffee and then compared to without iUSB?

Yes, it is strange as the iUSB obviously has sufficient power. As I mentioned, the $20 Belkin powered USB hub worked. I am sure it has something to do with the separate power and data lines and I would have this issue regardless of the brand of twin headed USB cable.

For example, I tried (with "Direct" and "Integer Mode" selected on Audirvana):

1. MBP > uArt (data line and power line of uArt connected to separate USB hubs on my MBP) > uLink (USB/SPDIF) > DAC (clicks and pops- as expected without the powered iUSB hub in the chain)

2. MBP > Blue Heaven USB > iUSB > uArt > uLink > DAC (clicks and pops)

3. MBP > uArt (data line and power line each connected to a separate USB hub on my MBP) > iUSB > Coffee > uLink > DAC (clicks and pops)

Note: With all three setups listed above, going to the system menu in my Mac, and the menu on my Audirvana, the USB 2.0 is now automatically listed as USB 1.0 with the uArt in place. When I swap out the uArt for the standard single strand USB, the USB changes back to 2.0 on my Mac system menu and on the Audirvana menu.

4. MBP > Blue Heaven USB > iUSB > Coffee > uLink > DAC (no clicks and pops- it works terrific and iUSB definitely improves the sound).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Note: [/b] With all three setups listed above, going to the system menu in my Mac, and the menu on my Audirvana, the USB 2.0 is now automatically listed as USB 1.0 with the uArt in place. When I swap out the uArt for the standard single strand USB, the USB changes back to 2.0 on my Mac system menu and on the Audirvana menu.

6moons review says uArt is in full compliance with USB 2.0 high speed. Now, I'm wondering what's inside that metal box in the middle of the cable ...

I received my iFI USB Power yesterday morning. Had a quick refresh with a few familiar tunes using the Aqvox USB power supply first of all and then connected up the iFI USB Power. Initially the ground was not lifted with the provided switch. The bass notes became more differentiated during heavy electric bass passages, the soundstage receded to a more believable and more preferred position and gained more dimension and inner space. The voices also found their appropriate new position within the soundstage. Glare was reduced and there was more sweetness to the upper registers, violins etc. On moving the switch to the ground lift position there were further improvements along the same lines.

I got a brainwave then and thought to myself could I ever have too much of a good thing, so I reconnected the Aqvox PSU and then connected the iFI USB cable to the output of the Aqvox connector? I perceived an increase in weight of the sound in general, but it seemed to be at the expense of characteristics I perceived as advantages with the vanilla iFI USB alone. For the moment at least I have reverted back to the iFI alone. Internet Radio via iTunes is also sounding particularly good today, even in another room from the system, being dynamic, crisp and musical from top to bottom. Recommended.

The company has announced that the first production run have been sold out, but Stephen at Select Audio who are the distributors for the UK and Ireland, and I think for part of Europe steered me in the right direction for a unit and told me that a number of his other dealers have stock also.

Oh and another thing. I made a posting above about the requirements of the USB input of the m2Tech Young dac. I can confirm that there was no adverse issue in lifting the ground with this dac in my system.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

@Blake. Option 2 versus option 4 seems interesting. Only difference being the substitution of uArt with Coffee to eliminate the clicks.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

@tubesound: I just sent Drew at Moon Audio an email about the 1.0/2.0 issue and will see what he says, although that would be incredibly odd if my uArt is only 1.0, as it was built only a few months ago.

@Liam: My plan was to use setup #2, but for now it will have to be setup #4.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@tubesound: I just sent Drew at Moon Audio an email about the 1.0/2.0 issue and will see what he says, although that would be incredibly odd if my uArt is only 1.0, as it was built only a few months ago.

@Liam: My plan was to use setup #2, but for now it will have to be setup #4.

Seems to point the finger at the uArt unless I am missing something.

Seems to point the finger at the uArt unless I am missing something.

Agreed, that is my conclusion as well. It has to be related to the separate power and data lines on the uArt. To be clear though, I am thinking it would be an issue with any brand or model USB cable with separate power and data lines.

Agreed, that is my conclusion as well. It has to be related to the separate power and data lines on the uArt. To be clear though, I am thinking it would be an issue with any brand or model USB cable with separate power and data lines.

Mmm from my perspective that seems a leap too far. The clicks issue, as you have said is related to an inadequacy of power. Would it seem reasonable to conclude that the uArt may be attenuating the power, but I can conclude no reason why all cables with separate power and data lines would attenuate power. It does seem though as if the computer is sensing something of a data restriction for some reason. Will be interesting to see what they say if you are in a position to report.

I am in the midst of writing my iFi USb power review for a website, so I can't spill the beans, but I can report this: the Acoustic Revive 1.0 SP dual conduit cable works just fine with all sample rates (including DSD) from Windows based CAPS V2+ (SOtM card) to ifi (using iFi-provided blue USB umbilical) and then iFi (AR 1.0SP) to Meitner MA-1. The Meitner requires USB power from the computer end.

It could be your MBP, but have no further ideas. I had similar dual conduit issues with my MAC Mini (no iFi back then, just dual conduit from 2 MAC USB ports) and the Revelation Audio Labs cable. Brad redesigned it a couple times. Got clicks and never worked Mac to Antelope (which needed power) but ran fine to Mytek (doesn't need USB power).

Ted

Although some DACs with their own PSUs need to see incoming USB +5V, a little bit of cable trickery can be done by those who are into DIY, so that the PSU's +5V gets looped back into the USB socket.This is possible as there are no timing functions involved with the incoming USB supply.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Alex,

Sorry, but I'm not sure of your point. I'm enjoying hassle free; that was my point. I just wanted to tell those whoa re having trouble is that it could be the Mac.

My clicking and popping issues running Integer Mode in Audirvana are 100% related to my older (2007) Mac. Damien notes this problem on the Audirvana website. And my experience is in-line with Damien's workaround (just use a powered USB hub).

I am now just trying to figure out why using a Y cable is defeating that workaround.

Alex,

Sorry, but I'm not sure of your point. I'm enjoying hassle free; that was my point. I just wanted to tell those whoa re having trouble is that it could be the Mac.

Hi Ted

I was simply pointing out those who are having trouble ( not you) with some types of equipment that need to see incoming

+5V from the USB cable, and are into DIY, can make bodgy cables to feed the PSU +5V back in to the USB port of the equipment to fool it.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Alex,

Thanks. i thought so; I'm just dense sometimes. :)

Do you believe there are three (at least) categories of USB DACs (5V electrically speaking)? That is, those who don't need 5V at all; those who need it simply to handshake, and those that need it to live? I believe my Meitner is in category 3, need it to live. Why, cuz I tried a couple USB cables that supposedly have the ground still intact but no 5V (a combination that was fine with my Antelope Gold) and the Meitner doesn't see them. I also tried, with the antelope Gold, a dual conduit cable with full 5V and I found that I could disconnect the power leg, but only after music started. Does any of this make sense?

Hi Ted

Those that are into DIY should be able to make any USB powered DAC with it's own PSU work if they can make bodgy cables to feed the PSU +5V back in to the USB port of the equipment to fool it.You piggyback an added cable from the PSU to the plug at the device end to give it +5V and 0V. A bit fiddly and bulky, but can be done.

I needed to do that with an external USB case for both HDD and external DVD writer.

Regards

Alex

I received my iFI USB Power yesterday morning. Had a quick refresh with a few familiar tunes using the Aqvox USB power supply first of all and then connected up the iFI USB Power. Initially the ground was not lifted with the provided switch. The bass notes became more differentiated during heavy electric bass passages, the soundstage receded to a more believable and more preferred position and gained more dimension and inner space. The voices also found their appropriate new position within the soundstage. Glare was reduced and there was more sweetness to the upper registers, violins etc. On moving the switch to the ground lift position there were further improvements along the same lines.

I got a brainwave then and thought to myself could I ever have too much of a good thing, so I reconnected the Aqvox PSU and then connected the iFI USB cable to the output of the Aqvox connector? I perceived an increase in weight of the sound in general, but it seemed to be at the expense of characteristics I perceived as advantages with the vanilla iFI USB alone. For the moment at least I have reverted back to the iFI alone. Internet Radio via iTunes is also sounding particularly good today, even in another room from the system, being dynamic, crisp and musical from top to bottom. Recommended.

The company has announced that the first production run have been sold out, but Stephen at Select Audio who are the distributors for the UK and Ireland, and I think for part of Europe steered me in the right direction for a unit and told me that a number of his other dealers have stock also.

Oh and another thing. I made a posting above about the requirements of the USB input of the m2Tech Young dac. I can confirm that there was no adverse issue in lifting the ground with this dac in my system.

Edit: Just another suggestion in relation to the above. Have a play with different forms of isolation under your Mac Mini (or whatever you are using), and the iFi USB Power as it can make a difference. I find that using some Russ Andrews oak cones, (point up), is preferable to brass, which seem to remove some of the musicality.

I haven't seen this posted before, but iFI have posted a teaser regarding the new USB cable here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1332479&l=cbc9845e60&id=460963790606035

Looks interesting. Worth a wait I think.

Edit: Just another suggestion in relation to the above. Have a play with different forms of isolation under your Mac Mini (or whatever you are using), and the iFi USB Power as it can make a difference. I find that using some Russ Andrews oak cones, (point up), is preferable to brass, which seem to remove some of the musicality.

Liam

The "bits are bits" brigade would love that. NOT ! (grin) Next you will be trying to markedly reduce PC vibration while ripping CDs !

Regards

Alex

Liam

The "bits are bits" brigade would love that. NOT ! (grin) Next you will be trying to markedly reduce PC vibration while ripping CDs !

Regards

Alex

Ah well...whatever keeps me happy eh. It's nice to share a little happiness especially at Christmas time :-)

Yes, I posted that a few pages back and even commended on the speculated price...

I was referring to the link to the image. Is this not new?

I dont think so...that article is the basis of my discussions about the cable and the price speculation is based on what I could cajole out of them. Prices not fixed yet, so they wont give a definitive answer and that is understandable.

If not posted here, I may have done so on the Circle...

Edit

You are correct, I neglected to post the link here, just this blurb:

The ifi USB 2 head cable should be shipping in January. Pre-orders this month. More tech explanations to come they say.

Stunning Ifi Audio feedback from a pal who has been around the Audiophile block! This should be a testament to the quality of all the iFi products:

I followed up on your mention of the ifi products and did some checking.

The result is that I bought the i-phono. It arrived last Friday and, cold out of the box, it was unimaginably better than any phono stage I’ve ever had.

I exchanged a series of e-mails with Vince Luke at AMR regarding my assessment. I had met Vince and Thorsten when they visited the Boston area several years ago and was fortunate enough to have lunch with them and then talk for several hours. Thorsten is the engineer at AMR; Vince is the marketer.

This thing is truly amazing and brings LP significantly past my current CD replay. It is the only phono stage I’ve ever heard which is dead silent.

I’ve been using my $5000.00 Auditorium 23 T-1 Homage step-up transformer for a number of years now. This allows me to connect my Miyajima Shilabe MC cartridge (< 0.3 mv output) to the MM inputs of a preamp and only apply 40 dB of gain. Despite doing this, background phono noise has always been vastly noisier than that of CD.

Now, I can run the Shilabe directly into the i-phono, apply 66 dB of gain, and get a background noise level which is the same as the background noise level of my CD inputs!!! No analog guy, including me, would ever believe that without hearing (or not hearing) it. Even then, it still seems impossible.

Extreme transparency, thunderous dynamics, unmatched timbre, positively spooky imaging and spatial cues, etc. etc.!!! I could go on and on but you get the idea. All of this for less than $400.00 is incomprehensible. Anybody making and selling phono stages should be afraid; very, very, afraid.

For reference: My Shindo Vosne-Romanee with the Homage T-1 step-up together retail for over $25.000.00. The i-phono plus W4S STP-SE retail for less than $$2400.00. How’s that?? Less than one tenth the price and unimaginably, pricelessly better!!

It’s so good I ordered another one before they come to their senses price / performance-wise. In addition, I got an i-USB and an i-DAC at, I think, ~$300 each.

As I said earlier, i am writing an iFi iUSB review for another site so I will keep my feedback to myself for awhile, but I wanted to mention this:

UDPATE: my version of the iFi iUSB package came with an additional cable! It's a white USB-to-dc plug cable that allows the iUSB to be used as a "generic" 5V supply for whatever is needed; i.e Logitech Squeezeboxes, etc. Simply plug the cable into the left "power only" USB output of the iFi. Nice idea (I communicated this to Thorsten and Darren), Since I have the SOtM card installed in my CAPS server it allows me to compare the iFi-as-power-supply-only to the SOtM battery pack I am eval'ing. This allows me to keep my USB cable directly connected to the SOtM card as a setup option. iEarth is not used, but my point is it is a new option.