IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

Power-isolation novice looking for info:

WD ext hd via usb to - early 2012 macmini via fw to - mytek via xlr to - pre.

What are my power improvement options with iUSB etc?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

In your situation, iUSB is supposed to be put in between your Mac Mini and Mytek.

? He's using firewire, not USB. The ifi iUSB is a power supply for 5V USB (audio) lines. It is not relevant to his setup at all.

? He's using firewire, not USB. The ifi iUSB is a power supply for 5V USB (audio) lines. It is not relevant to his setup at all.

Mac Mini has USB out and Mytek has USB in; iUSB may make USB better than Firewire in Mytek; who knows? Blake reported even if his DAC doesn't need PC's USB power for the USB receiver chip, iUSB still made improvements in his system. Maybe the galvanic isolation provided by iUSB helped.

Mac Mini has USB out and Mytek has USB in; iUSB may make USB better than Firewire in Mytek; who knows? Blake reported even if his DAC doesn't need PC's USB power for the USB receiver chip, iUSB still made improvements in his system. Maybe the galvanic isolation provided by iUSB helped.

Yes I know the Mytek intimately. Yes, of course he can change his setup..but that's not what he asked! If he uses the Mytek USB 2.0 input (which doesn't use the 5V) then he should make sure he gets an hdd that is connected via firewire. Seems a lot of moving around to simply install the iFi in order to possible alleviate a ground loop (that he doesn't have today). Hence my earlier conclusion.

This may/may not be relevant to the mytek discussion, but I was using a good quality usb hub like vaunix in my setup before and found it also works really well even if I used it just to connect my keyboard/mouse to the PC.

I guess it provides grounding/isolation for even those devices to the PC..

Maybe can test this with the iFi. :)

Yes I know the Mytek intimately. Yes, of course he can change his setup..but that's not what he asked! If he uses the Mytek USB 2.0 input (which doesn't use the 5V) then he should make sure he gets an hdd that is connected via firewire. Seems a lot of moving around to simply install the iFi in order to possible alleviate a ground loop (that he doesn't have today). Hence my earlier conclusion.

I want to apologize to tubesound. One, I was a little harsh in my response to his jamesg11 question. And two..I think now that the iFI may indeed help in the standard setup jamesg11 proposed. That is, try it between the hdd and the Mytek, at the data end, not the music end. In speaking with Darren (AMR US distrib), he says some have found some benefit cleaning up noise at the data delivery end (caveat: suggestion coming from someone who sells these for a living, of course). I haven't tried this as my data is on a NAS, but maybe I will experiment with my Oyen digital USB drive, using the SOtM battery alternative on the DAC side.

I want to apologize to tubesound. One, I was a little harsh in my response to his jamesg11 question. And two..I think now that the iFI may indeed help in the standard setup jamesg11 proposed. That is, try it between the hdd and the Mytek, at the data end, not the music end. In speaking with Darren (AMR US distrib), he says some have found some benefit cleaning up noise at the data delivery end (caveat: suggestion coming from someone who sells these for a living, of course). I haven't tried this as my data is on a NAS, but maybe I will experiment with my Oyen digital USB drive, using the SOtM battery alternative on the DAC side.

Don't worry. I have no hard feelings.

I don't quite understand: how can iUSB be placed between the hdd and the Mytek?

Don't worry. I have no hard feelings.

I don't quite understand: how can iUSB be placed between the hdd and the Mytek?

Sorry, I meant hdd and the computer (the data end). Supposedly, according to Darren, the same way as between a computer and a DAC; that is, USB from hdd into iFI, then iFi into computer. Cleans up the same electrical noise. My issues have to do with how much electrical noise is on data if it's, er, data? But some folks claim self powered USB-bus powered hdds are noisier delivery mechanisms than others...dunno.

Sorry, I meant hdd and the computer (the data end). Supposedly, according to Darren, the same way as between a computer and a DAC; that is, USB from hdd into iFI, then iFi into computer. Cleans up the same electrical noise. My issues have to do with how much electrical noise is on data if it's, er, data? But some folks claim self powered USB-bus powered hdds are noisier delivery mechanisms than others...dunno.

Foe me the biggest deal about the iUSB is that quality SMPS.. counter-intuitive I know, but that is my suspicion.

Its not Darren who found this out, but his clients who told him. I think this is documented on the FB page.

and that is exactly what I said as well. His customers' feedback. My caveat was simply to remind folks that Darren is an AMR iFi distributor, not the unbiased user.

I know, I was just emphasizing that Darren was just passing on clients suggestions and not trying to invent reasons to buy...indeed, he would not have to as his stocks were sold out until recently and the units sell at a fast clip.

Not knocking your post at all, as I know you are a straight shooter and a valued contributed here and elsewhere.

I know, I was just emphasizing that Darren was just passing on clients suggestions and not trying to invent reasons to buy...indeed, he would not have to as his stocks were sold out until recently and the units sell at a fast clip.

Not knocking your post at all, as I know you are a straight shooter and a valued contributed here and elsewhere.

Same here, Norman. You are straight shooter. And Darren is an upstanding guy, distributor or not. But we are close to this industry, some are not. :)

Yes, I'm very interested ... sent an email to Avatar re costs to Australia (as usual local 'distributors' don't have what you want - smaller market). iPhono looks great too.

What about the FireWire (Granite) macmini into Mytek connect re power clean-up?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Agreed, that is my conclusion as well. It has to be related to the separate power and data lines on the uArt. To be clear though, I am thinking it would be an issue with any brand or model USB cable with separate power and data lines.

I just got my iFi USB power module today.

So far I'm very happy with it - from the packaging to the build quality to the sound improvement. I have it between a Squeezebox Touch, a MF V-Link 192 and EE Minimax DAC. Looks like I found the "missing link" to achieving a more relaxed sound without ditching the Touch and/or a major $$$ investment.

My BIG disappointment is that when I use the Elijah Y cable I get crackling sounds. I had high hopes for the Elijah/iFi combo. Looks like I'll need to look towards a decent conventional USB cable instead.

Dec 4, iFi Audio F-Book page:

From iFi’s secret laboratory - the final prototypes of the iFi Twin Headed USB Cable are here. And we have our quite unique design ready to be moved into production, likely arriving in Jan 2013 at our retailers.

After a several dozen trial versions and many more tests on raw cable we are very happy with the electrical and sonic performance.

The looks will still change, we are waiting for the machined Alu shells for the plugs to replace the improvised plastic end pieces. At the price point for our cable such luxury is as of yet unheard of.

Several sets have seen widespread audition in recent weeks and have stood up well against some of the ultra high priced and big name competitions, both single and dual head ones, from all around the world including US, Japan and Europe (you can surely think of the leading brands).

We are now confident that the iFi Twin Headed USB Cable will outperform anything even at many times it's expected selling price.

How do we do it? Stay tuned, we will tell more soon... including iFi exclusive features (world first), never seen before on other USB cables, no matter what price...

Wonder what difference there is between this cable and the other Y cables that don't work with the iUSB.

As I reported, the AR 1.0SP works fine (great blackness, great depth, a little too lean for me), and a buddy says the Kingrex u-art works (not sure which one).