IGNORED

Recommend An Album Everyone Should Hear

Pick out one album you would recommend to everyone that you think may not be well known but is of such good quality in your opinion you want others to know about it. Any genre is fine.

my choice is

JIMMY WITHERSPOON

Blue Spoon

Jimmy was comfortable singing the blues or jazz and this effort to my mind leans more toward a Nat King Cole small group type of vibe. If you can find it and check it out I hope you enjoy it.

image.jpg

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Mescalito.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Pick out one album you would recommend to everyone that you think may not be well known but is of such good quality in your opinion you want others to know about it. Any genre is fine.

my choice is

JIMMY WITHERSPOON

Blue Spoon

Jimmy was comfortable singing the blues or jazz and this effort to my mind leans more toward a Nat King Cole small group type of vibe. If you can find it and check it out I hope you enjoy it.

It's available in Amazon (CD & MP3 DL) & QOBUZ (DL: CD & MP3 resolution).

Thanks,

Roch

Pierre Rochas "Le Petit Dictionaire de L'Orgue Illustré" - Harmonia Mundia, Germany.

Pierre is an MD but also an organologist and his great work goes to recover and preserve old organs and organ music mainly from France. Also, the repertoire, execution and SQ of those two CDs are quite extraordinary.

Hard to find, but still available, type "Pierre Rochas" only in Google, and not the full name...

Pierre Rochas_Le Petit Dictionaire de L'Orgue Illustré.jpg

Emmet Cohen: In the Element. Disclosure: Emmet's proud father was a suite-mate in our office for a few years. In support of my recommendation, allow me some exposition about his bona fides. I am a decades-long fan of Bill Evans (and many great other Jazz pianists) and Emmet has the chops to join those elegant musicians in both technique and musicality.

At 22, jazz pianist Emmet Cohen, a finalist in the 2011 Thelonious Monk International Piano Competition, plays with the maturity and confidence of a seasoned veteran. With astonishing technique and an innovative harmonic palate, Emmet engenders a deep musical bond with his audience. Cohen has shared the bandstand with a plethora of musical luminaries, including Christian McBride, Benny Golson, Joshua Redman, Dave Holland, Patti Austin, Maceo Parker, Carmen Bradford, Billy Hart, and many others. he is completing a music degree at the University of Miami where he studies with Brian Lynch, Terence Blanchard, Shelly Berg, and Martin Bejerano. Emmet regularly appears as a sideman and leader on both piano and Hammond B3 Organ in New York and Miami.

Perhaps a session listening to this talented Jazz pianist will be persuasive with your own discernment.

Best,

Richard

Emmet Cohen In The Element.jpg

One of the most beautifully-recorded albums I've ever heard is Alison Krauss + Union Station Live:

51K9KE4U2mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The sense of presence and intimacy is amazing.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Based on the above. Good to be unbiased for the election.

image.jpg

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Screen Shot 2012-10-25 at 22.57.47.png

Never fails to satisfy, whatever my mood.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

8d0bc0a398a08c0695942210.L.jpg

My digital copy has an HDCD & Redbook layer.

My vinyl version sounds even better.

Even those who do not care for Jazz have appreciated this album when I have played it.

Gene's gospel style piano is the stuff that will make the synapses in your brain keep your toe tapping regardless of your conscience objection.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2413[/ATTACH]

Even those who do not care for Jazz have appreciated this album when I have played it.

Gene's gospel style piano is the stuff that will make the synapses in your brain keep your toe tapping regardless of your conscience objection.

Fully second this! Great album. I also still have the vinyl (unfortunately in a box right next to my good old Project record player, not sure ever to be resurrected), and the CD. I've had the pleasure of hearing this combo live back in 1990. Ray Brown is of course a genius, Gene really has a particular style (Gene Harris +1 is another great album), but Jeff Hamilton to me is the real king here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2413[/ATTACH]

Beautiful indeed. Thank you for suggesting this, I don't know how I've missed it. Going to buy a CD and also will see if I can get vinyl album

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2403[/ATTACH]

Order placed.

Thanks, Richard.

Great thread guys .. just ordered these.

Melvin.

My pleasure. Would be curious to learn how you both find Emmet's CD. I, too, ordered the Gene Harris CD. Including another Harris SACD, Harris Trio Plus One with Stanley Turrentine, available at Elusive Disc as I was attempting to discover if Listen Here is available as an SACD. Look forward to hearing both. Thank you for the recommendations wkhanna.

Best,

Richard

My pleasure. Would be curious to learn how you both find Emmet's CD. I, too, ordered the Gene Harris CD. Including another Harris SACD, Harris Trio Plus One with Stanley Turrentine, available at Elusive Disc as I was attempting to discover if Listen Here is available as an SACD. Look forward to hearing both. Thank you for the recommendations wkhanna.

Best,

Richard

Plus One is great fun too. You'll love it.

Plus One is great fun too. You'll love it.

That's good news coming from you. As I was merely going on intuition. Last time I heard Stanley T here fine was several years ago in WA/ D.C. at a club in Georgetown. Wonderful set. We seem to take such good care of each other at this thread. Grateful for the great recommendations.

Best,

Richard

That's good news coming from you. As I was merely going on intuition. Last time I heard Stanley T here fine was several years ago in WA/ D.C. at a club in Georgetown. Wonderful set. We seem to take such good care of each other at this thread. Grateful for the great recommendations.

Best,

Richard

My iPad changes what I write even when I correct the typos substituted for my original words. I wrote "Turrentine in person".

These typos happen persistently. My apologies,

Richard