IGNORED

Recommend An Album Everyone Should Hear

Great music. It keeps your toes tapping but does not intrude on your concentration. Great vocals, acoustic bass & percussion. Great sound all around.

I like this recommendation and would include the first self titled album both available as hi res downloads at HD Tracks.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Michael Moore used it in the trailer for Fahrenheit 911

Thanks for that. You are of course correct, they used 'I'd love to change the world'.

In my best Michael Caine accent 'not a lot of people know that'.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Based on this, I picked this CD up from Amazon. I have been listening to it tonight in my office / listening room while trying to catch up on some work. It is more mellow than I expected, but still very good. It actually is really good for work music. I will continue to give it a good listen.

Jsmith- I hope it grows on you like it did me. We do seem to have very similar taste in music. What do you think about the sound quality? I think it is one of the best recordings I have heard for this genre of music. This album really tests the soundstaging, imaging, ambient detail and bass capabilities of your system.

On the metal side, I pull up your metal recommendations on MOG from time to time and have been impressed. Particularly Helmet.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

+1 on the K&D Sessions !!

If you like Electronica, I also heartily recommend 'Northern Exposure' by Sasha and Digweed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2589[/ATTACH]

Beware that their other Northern Exposure series CDs are nowhere near as good as this one.

I totally agree with you on this one. Love the Northern Exposure version by Sasha and Digweed.

How about the Late Night Tales series? It is hit and miss but some are quite good (Air's version, for example).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree with you on this one. Love the Northern Exposure version by Sasha and Digweed.

How about the Late Night Tales series? It is hit and miss but some are quite good (Air's version, for example).

Blake,

I checked my ratings for the Air LNT, and I didn't like it very much (avg ~2.5). The only other one I have is a Filla Brazilla 'Another LateNight', which may, or may not be the same series. I like it more (avg ~3.7). Have you tried any of the 'back to Mine' series ?

I wish that iTunes let me rate albums separately from individual tracks !

Some other stellar Electronic albums while we are at it:

Massive Attack - 'Mezzine'

Portishead - 'Roseland NYC Live' (CD or DVD)

Tosca - 'Suzuki'

'Best of Trance - Vol 2' ( a guilty pleasure :))

I could go on, but that's enough for now..

into-the-labyrinth-lg.jpg

Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth

rain_tree_crow_blackwater.jpg

Rain Tree Crow - Rain Tree Crow

Both fabulous albums and well worth a listen imho.

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

'Its only by asking questions that we can learn'

into-the-labyrinth-lg.jpg

Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth

rain_tree_crow_blackwater.jpg

Rain Tree Crow - Rain Tree Crow

Both fabulous albums and well worth a listen imho.

Dead Can Dance is typically not my style of music but I have this album, the only one of theirs I have, and it is very good.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

@mwheelerk

It is somewhat different to their other albums, some of which I like a lot and some I don't. One of my favourite tracks off Into The Labyrinth is 'The Carnival is Over' which to my ears is hauntingly beautiful.

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

and this one of Rain Tree Crow - Cries and Whispers

Rain Tree Crow - Cries and whispers - YouTube

Regards Neil

I really like this:

letenglandshake.jpg

I place PJ Harvey in my top 5 favorite musicians, but I just couldn't get into her last two studio albums (White Chalk and Let England Shake). White Chalk has some great songs, but way over-produced, I think, and ruined. Here's how it should have been produced:

The Toure-Raichel Collective - the Tel Aviv Session

Idan Raichel and Malian guitar virtuoso Vieux Farka Toure in an unscripted recording session in november 2010 in Tel Aviv. Masterful.

cover_500.jpg

• Win 10 (64), (Front Room) Phil's Audio Optimizer, Tidal/Roon, HQPlayer, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Hegel H300, van den Hul - The Clearwater, PMC Twenty.24's.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some happy discoveries I've made in the last few years (and given that this is an audiophile blog, I should note that all these albums sound superb to my ears)

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

220px-We're_Here_Because_We're_Here_(album_cover).jpg

They started out as a "Doom Metal" band (surprisingly), but have morphed into a space-rock outfit. They remind me of Pink Floyd/Radiohead/Coldplay. This album was produced by the incomparable Steven Wilson*. Sadly, I don't like their new album "Weather Systems" very much, but everything before that is excellent.

*(yes, you should also be listening to Porcupine Tree)

Oh, and the hard rock fans here should also check this out:

OSI - Blood

OSI_Blood_Cover.jpg

Featuring Jim Matheos of Fates Warning, Kevin Moore (formerly of DT) and the incomparable (everything about Porcupine Tree is incomparable) Gavin Harrison on drums.

And this:

Fates Warning - Pleasant Shade of Gray

A_pleasant_shade_of_gray.jpg

A great heavy concept album with the superb Mark Zonder on drums.

really good music -> high bitrate lossy files -> iTunes/foobar -> Fiio E10 - > Hifiman HE-400 headphones or Denon receiver/Mission 751/two 8" subs -> 45 year old ears

kim mitchell- akimbo alogo- great music from great canadian rocker. seen him about 10 times puts on a great show

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

Helmet - Meantime

Many people may not be familiar with this band or album, but if you have even the slightest inclination towards metal it is a must buy. Even if you are not into metal, this is just a great album. I may be biased since this was the first CD I ever bought and I have seen them live in concert many times.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2456[/ATTACH]

Aaaaagh.....I bet you have the Handsome disk too......awesome. Too bad they didn't see it through.

Aaaaagh.....I bet you have the Handsome disk too......awesome. Too bad they didn't see it through.

I don't have Handsome, but will need to check them out. Thanks.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

• 2 weeks later...

Zappa's "Shut Up and Play 'Yer Guitar". Needs to be listened to in the foreground I believe.

Zappa.jpg

Pick out one album you would recommend to everyone that you think may not be well known but is of such good quality in your opinion you want others to know about it. Any genre is fine.

my choice is

JIMMY WITHERSPOON

Blue Spoon

Jimmy was comfortable singing the blues or jazz and this effort to my mind leans more toward a Nat King Cole small group type of vibe. If you can find it and check it out I hope you enjoy it.

I've never really explored chorale music, but I ordered Rutter's "Requiem" to try it out. Oh. My. Goodness. This is one of the most amazing pieces of music I have ever heard. For someone who hasn't really been a fan of chorales, that's saying something. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

51aC-+UVCNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg