IGNORED

Audiophile Household Income

Household gross annual income (Anonymous)  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not at all! It's a matter of priorities. My system is far and away better (and more expensive) than that of any of my middle class friends. I just make it a priority to spend my extra money (ie, after food, housing, clothes) on audio rather than a new car (my rig is 15 y old), cruise, boat, snowmobile, whatever. My TV is an old vacuum tube (really awkward to watch in this day of widescreen everything). Hell, I don't even pay for cable or satellite.

Sure it helps to be wealthy in this hobby (mandatory, of course, for the top shelf gear). But middle class losers (like me) can put together a decent system, all the more so if you "sacrifice" in areas where most middle-classers spend their extra money.

I'm sure at one point or another we've all seen online, or witnessed face-to-face, a system comprised of megabucks gear, but so ridiculously poorly set up that anything else would've sounded better. It's one thing to have a ton of dough to throw at this hobby. It's an all around different thing to know what to do with it. Means vs. Execution, if you will.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

I'm sure at one point or another we've all seen online, or witnessed face-to-face, a system comprised of megabucks gear, but so ridiculously poorly set up that anything else would've sounded better. It's one thing to have a ton of dough to throw at this hobby. It's an all around different thing to know what to do with it. Means vs. Execution, if you will.

Too true!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Then at least find a way for the rest of the 240,000 regular monthly visitors who are unable even to see how the results are progressing, to see how they are progressing.

On my computer there is a box: "View Poll Results".

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Forrest

I did not see the Poll results until after I had voted.Normally these polls do not let you see how others have voted until after you yourself vote.

This would be to avoid the "me too/follow the leader" type replies

Regards

Alex.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Not at all! It's a matter of priorities. My system is far and away better (and more expensive) than that of any of my middle class friends. I just make it a priority to spend my extra money (ie, after food, housing, clothes) on audio rather than a new car (my rig is 15 y old), cruise, boat, snowmobile, whatever. My TV is an old vacuum tube (really awkward to watch in this day of widescreen everything). Hell, I don't even pay for cable or satellite.

Sure it helps to be wealthy in this hobby (mandatory, of course, for the top shelf gear). But middle class losers (like me) can put together a decent system, all the more so if you "sacrifice" in areas where most middle-classers spend their extra money.

100% Agree..

I would certainly not consider myself a "High Roller" by any means but I do do without many things the average Joe can't seem to deprive themselves of. No cable TV, No new car, No weekly trips to the bars, No weekly trips to my favorite resturants..etc..etc. Of course I do treat myself to these things on occasion though.

My thought is, I haven't found a bar that serves better microbrew's or hard liquor than I keep on premises nor have I found an entertainment venue that sounds better than my living room so I have a blast at home and pocket all the money I would have spent elsewhere and reallocate it toward better audio and more music.

Its certainly a tough discipline to follow but I am 110% addicted to this hobby and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hi Forrest

I did not see the Poll results until after I had voted.Normally these polls do not let you see how others have voted until after you yourself vote.

This would be to avoid the "me too/follow the leader" type replies

Regards

Alex.

Never allow mere facts to get in the way of a good tantrum.

Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 7.43.46 PM.png

Ill-tempered Audiophool

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

If in fact the progressive poll results were clearly visible to visitors at the time of my original posts about permitting non members to see the results, I unreservedly apologise to wgscott.

I am however surprised that neither Jud, Julf, or Eloise corrected me at that time if this was the case.

Alex

If in fact the progressive poll results were clearly visible to visitors at the time of my original posts about permitting non members to see the results, I unreservedly apologise to wgscott.

I am however surprised that neither Jud, Julf, or Eloise corrected me at that time if this was the case.

Alex

I voted early and paid no attention to remembering whether I'd seen the poll results prior to voting. Nor did I even understand that was something you were complaining about.

I know you're not actually making this point, but something in what you are saying makes me want to respond that neither I, nor Julf, nor Eloise is responsible for making sure what you say here makes sense.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Never allow mere facts to get in the way of a good tantrum.

I "filed off the serial numbers" and used that comment on a friend of mine who would make Scrooge McDuck look like a spendthrift.

Without missing a beat, and in a dead serious tone, he replied - 'Facts are expensive, opinions are cheap. Let people have all the opinions they want!"

You know, that does say something. There is a cost involved with finding out the facts and getting a clear and as correct as possible understanding of a subject, event, or - anything.

I wonder if that could suggest someone with more free time, money, and resources in general is more likely to come up with a system that sounds really good and has the most bang for the buck? Meaning success is more likely the more resources you have, not really how much you spend?

It seems logical. When I get hurried, I sometimes will just spend more money to solve a situation, versus when I have the time to be more detailed and nitpicky, I usually get a better solution for less money.

And as a corollary, what would that suggest about people with very limited time? Limited budgets?

Also, I know that it is true for me, I had much more free time when I was younger and made less money thank I do now. I expected the 50+ years to be a slow spiral to retirement, but actually, I am working harder, longer, and having more fun now that ever before in my life. :)

Thoughts?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

There is a cost involved with finding out the facts and getting a clear and as correct as possible understanding of a subject, event, or - anything.

And as we have seen in politics and business, there is a cost involved in getting people to accept your opinions as facts :)

what would that suggest about people with very limited time? Limited budgets?

That would suggest they should find a good dealer, or a friend like you who will advise them.

I recently gave the benefit of my experience to a recent college grad who was buying a first system. I think he found it helpful.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That would suggest they should find a good dealer, or a friend like you who will advise them.

Perhaps... But dealer time also costs money... We do seem to forget this which is (partly) why IMO bricks and mortar dealers are dying out...

Here's an example - which "costs" more: using a Naim UnitiServe (£2000) with a Naim NDX streamer which is virtually plug and play; or a VortexBox (£500) which requires a little knowledge and time with keeping it updated, etc.?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

An observation.

59% of the respondents to this poll have a self reported income between 100K and 500K. I submit that many individuals in this income range are over 50 years of age. Please note that I did not include the over 500K group since many hip-hop and rap king-pins are indeed under the 50 year mark.

Now, since most folks in this over 50 age bracket have lost at least some hearing due to the normal aging process, are they spending money for high end audio to compensate for hearing loss or for other reason?

Just as youth is wasted on the young, perhaps some of our more esoteric equipment is also wasted on the mature.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

If only it were just hearing loss.

Amen, brother.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

An observation........most folks in this over 50 age bracket have lost at least some hearing due to the normal aging process

But this is loss of threshold sensitivity, which is a measure of the quietest sound you can detect. The phenomenon of recruitment (defined as abnormal growth in loudness) means that many people with threshold sensitivity losses hear loud sounds with little or no impairment. The theory is that adjacent hair cells in the cochlea are "recruited" to take over the function of those aging ones that are failing, but that they're not ideal length and configuration for the unintended frequencies and therefore aren't as sensitive at low levels. So presbycusis often means a loss of sensitivity at very low levels but relatively normal perception at suprathreshold levels.

In essence, the functional dynamic range of one's hearing often narrows with aging. Fortunately, this may not affect general listening much at all. If you're not in need of a hearing aid, you may not be losing a lot of high frequency sound above 75 db.

I submit that many individuals in this income range are over 50 years of age.

If you mean the majority, I'm not so sure that is a good assumption. I would expect a forum dedicated to computer audio to skew younger and to include a lot of well paid engineers and the like.

If you mean the majority, I'm not so sure that is a good assumption. I would expect a forum dedicated to computer audio to skew younger and to include a lot of well paid engineers and the like.

My sense is many (well over half) of the participants are over 50. Maybe we need another poll…