IGNORED

Speaker Grills

Do speaker grills degrade sound quality?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my experience, it is speaker dependent whether or not the grill effects the sound positively, negatively, or not at all.

agree. My Ushers sound better with grills off. My other speakers sound the same with grills on or off. Plus with grills on, there is a little protection during house cleaning.

The Truth Is Out There

I can't say that I hear a difference whether the grill off or on and I guess this is speaker dependant, but I "feel" it "could" be for the better to remove them when doing critical listening. Since I am biased thinking it best to remove them, I voted "Yes" :-).

Alain

Before I started faffing about with computer audio, I'd have said no, no difference. But with a computer & dac, definitely better with them off. Same amp, same speakers but different source. Go figure. Something about the stereo image and the higher frequencies.

Sorry, didn't vote - neither option fits for me. My TT and cdp have qualities that are less affected by the speaker grills.

I can't imagine grills on would be helpful, unless they were helping to tame some tweeter brightness/harshness. In that case, I would suspect a component issue, or more likely, a tweeter characteristic (usually aluminum dome). If they sound better with them on I would change something, firstly, get rid of the aluminum tweeter. Either way, I prefer to see my drivers, so no grill.

But I leave them on anyway, b/c my tweeters are easy to damage and it is recommended not to touch them at all

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I also voted for grills off. Anything between your ears and the raw speakers, no matter how "acoustically transparent" the material is claimed to be, will act as a filter. I suppose some speakers could be voiced by the manufacturer with the grills on, but I suspect that most are not. I always take mine off for critical listening and put them back on when not listening (for protection purposes).

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

My Paradigms were designed to sound better with the grilles on. My Dynaudios didn't even come with grilles.

I preferred my B&Ws with the grilles on and my Vienna Acoustics, Quads and NHTs with them off.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I always take the grills off of my speakers, with only one exception, my Revel Ultima Gems. The grills on the Gems are genius in design and do not negatively impact the sound quality, and they look cool as well.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Well......lots of varying opinions on the subject but some points

The Grille material and mounting will determine if there is a change to the soundscape, not the speaker....AND given the fact that no grille material is effectively sonically transparent we can deduce that there is a difference with grilles on or off. It is up to the individual listener to determine if one sounds 'better' than the other.

Most people will either leave the grills on or off because of looks, not because it sounds any different. My grills stay on because I don't want to accidentally destroy the cone, not because of sound quality differences (if there really is any).

Snap, crackle, and pop is for breakfast cereal, not for music. Go digital!

The thrifty audio critter who does not buy into audiophile nonsense.

My father has a pair of large floor standing Keffs - bass port at the bottom / front. Had to leave the speaker grills on as young kittens tended to try and climb in the bass port. (My mother used to breed Siamese cats). Also, the speaker grills made good climbing "poles" as well for forsaid kittens.

The speaker grills did get recovered once my mother stopped breeding cats - the cat she has now would never "stoop" to losing his dignity by climbing up the speaker grills. :-)

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my Zu Audio Essence speakers will be the tiniest bit better without the grills.

I have the grills on because of the cat that lived here in my study for many years. He passed this summer, and I have not the heart to remove the grills yet. I will one day, and then I might can tell you if there is any difference. My current music room is very much less than ideal for music though, and I don't know if the difference will be appreciated here.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys