IGNORED

Speaker Grills

Do speaker grills degrade sound quality?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's likely that any speaker designed to work with cover over the drive units will not include a frame or baffle as part of them. They tend to either have fine acoustically transparent cloth fixed over the whole enclosure, like Linn Kans for example. Or they use some fraim-less transparent material like Naim used to with SBLs, SL2s DBLs etc.

Of course in some circumstances non-fixed covers may help tame a bright environment but the speakers are usually designed with them as protection/WAF when not in use, mine lose a significant amount at the top end when in place.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Speaker grills have an effect mostly on mid/high. If the speaker is designed right, i.e neutral, grills have a negative effect. But if the design is hifi i.e. some peaks at higher frequencies the grill could be beneficial. So I obtained from voting!

Quite right. You often see upper mid/top lifted by as much as 5dB on axis for modern speakers, quite scary really.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

This is a quote from Alan Shaw, head of Harbeth:

Harbeth speakers are designed to be used with the grilles fitted (on); thanks to the unique Harbeth SuperGrille, the frequency response is measurably flatter with the grilles fitted. This is the exact opposite with all other types of speakers. The tweeter performance is set to be just right when the grilles are fitted..

So as others have stated, some manufactures account for grill and bake it in.

The funny part is, often when I see pictures of Harbeth speakers, the grills are off.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

The funny part is, often when I see pictures of Harbeth speakers, the grills are off.

Even on Harbeth's own website... Harbeth UK

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That is what happens when marketing takes over from engineering.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

That is what happens when marketing takes over from engineering.

And those images may be nothing more than showing the driver layout of each model and not a recommendation to use them without grills.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 4 weeks later...

One alternative is to split the difference between on/off:

iPhonePictures3969.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 2 months later...

hear no difference w/wo grills with my reference 3a mm de cappo i's but there is a difference with my outlaw bls. better sound without .maybe due to that they are metal.great though when grandkids come to visit.more protection from pushed in tweeters and woofers

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

With the grills off you can see the units, so you know where the sound comes from and your mind is psychologically focused on that. With the grills on the invisability of the units make it is easier to imagine the soundstage. On the other hand, that only lasts while its new to you.

Maybe it is psychoaccoustics or maybe it is just me :-)