IGNORED

How Happy Are You With Your (Main) System?

How happy are you with your (main) system?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So is your equipment allowing you to love the music? Or do you really, really need to change things?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Excellent poll idea. I think the results will speak more to the mindset of CA'ers than to actual system wonderfulness.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I just upgraded so I'm good for a while.

Room treatment is the priority, the DAC and computer will be upgraded in the future, but the speakers will stick around on the long term(I hope).

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

I feel like my system is extremely good, but, of course, there is always a bigger fish in the sea.

I am lucky that i don't feel the 'upgrade' bug very often (... he says after buying two DACs in less than a year...). Maybe it's just that i am too much a cheapskate and to take my system to the next level would be sooo expensive.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Very Happy. Starting to appreciate what can be done to improve SQ as with improvements using room treatments; and performance for SQ by making specific changes or additions that can only upgrade the sound without spending five figures for various upgrades. For example, I beta tested an OffRamp 5 just before it was released to the Public and discovered the OR5 added discernibly to my already fine performing W4S Dac2. Switching filter cards in the Bryston 10B crossover from 80Hz to 50Hz dealt with a 50Hz room node because of a combination of room dimensions, and heights of my KEF Reference 107 mains and JL Audio F112 (X2). For $100 in filter cards, the node was neutralized (thank you Art Noxon). I am seeking to learn as much as I can and make strategic changes rather than throw a lot of money (I do not have) to buy the SQ. I can make this happen the way I am slowly solving the obstacles to SQ. Granted I am working within a budget, and I am not disparaging more expensive and higher performance equipment. I picking off the shelves I can reach.

Great poll/survey Jud.

Best,

Richard

I think it's allowing me to love the music; the source (MBP/Amarra/FW/DAC2) and amp are incredible in my mind, but I would really love to have the dough to experiment with various speaker designs. Back loaded horns (small driver ones like mine, at least) can only produce so much bass and now I'm recently finding that there might be some shout in mine (darn!). I like the idea of single drivers, in general, and had another pair at one time that I should've never ever let go of. If I knew of a multi-driver design that did piano, guitar, lute, and other acoustic instruments of the sort, as well as I feel a single driver does, then I would be willing to make a move. Of course, the darn thing is that when it comes down to it, speakers are the pieces in my system that I haven't cycled through all that much, so I suppose I don't have a whole lot to go off of.

Given my system, any suggestions?

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

I am loving it, all digital just made my decade!

I do need a big Thunderbolt NAS to allow for all the Surround Music that I will be getting.

Also rebuld living room for optimal acoustics, but I think many have that high on the list.

Short of 3 more 12" DSP subwoofers, nothing could improve the rig itself.

Great thread!

PS. Still playing with the sub X-over freq., but as it only takes 5 minutes to re-calibrate and cost nothing, I put it down as software tweaking. A/B with a click, what is there to not love about a 100% digital setup ;-)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

. . .

If I knew of a multi-driver design that did piano, guitar, lute, and other acoustic instruments of the sort, as well as I feel a single driver does, then I would be willing to make a move.

. . .

Have you auditioned any speakers with Coaxial Mid/High drivers?

It need not be as exotic as Chris TAD's or my Genelec 8260a's.

I think your cravings can be satisfied by omnis or designs that have the high driver placed in front of the mid driver.

And you will be able to get some decent bass.

Alternatively consider digital EQing the bass.

"A/B with a click, what is there to not love about a 100% digital setup ;-) "

The sound ? (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

"A/B with a click, what is there to not love about a 100% digital setup ;-) "

The sound ? (grin)

I don't want a rig that has a sound.

If I did, I would probably go for tubes (Grin)

Have you auditioned any speakers with Coaxial Mid/High drivers?

It need not be as exotic as Chris TAD's or my Genelec 8260a's.

I think your cravings can be satisfied by omnis or designs that have the high driver placed in front of the mid driver.

And you will be able to get some decent bass.

Alternatively consider digital EQing the bass.

Nope, I sure haven't auditioned any speakers fitted with coaxial mid/high drivers. As far as a less exotic option, I suppose something along the lines of Tannoy might fit the bill then, eh? I just don't know of a whole lot of brands offering coaxial mid/high driver-fitted speakers. Thanks for the suggestions, by the way, Pete.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

No real reason to change. It's taken me years to get to this point and now its time just to sit back and enjoy the music without having to think about the equipment. After all, isn't that what its all about.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

No real reason to change. It's taken me years to get to this point and now its time just to sit back and enjoy the music without having to think about the equipment. After all, isn't that what its all about.

That's an important awareness. How long had I felt dissatisfied inside and continued reading, reviewing what I read. Now that focus is almost a fait a compli such that what I read is more out of enthusiasm for the "hobby" than to pursue the sound I wish I had. Best prescription I have read: "...just sit back and enjoy the music with having to think about the equipment". For the most part, that is what it is all about. You left out good sipping Tequila (may not) ;>]

Best,

Richard

Current home system could use an overhaul. First thing to go is the condo though. If gets any better my neighbors will vote me out of the association. Current plan is getting some nice nearfields for the home studio and a new interface with better DAC/ADC. I just need to find a place to audition the Adams vs Dynaudios.

Nope, I sure haven't auditioned any speakers fitted with coaxial mid/high drivers. As far as a less exotic option, I suppose something along the lines of Tannoy might fit the bill then, eh? I just don't know of a whole lot of brands offering coaxial mid/high driver-fitted speakers. Thanks for the suggestions, by the way, Pete.

I love coaxials, and run Tannoys for my HT. They will not sound like your single drivers though. One of the primary benefits of single drivers speakers is the lack of crossover and therefore the general cohesiveness of the sonic signature within the limitations of that driver. They are lovely with stringed instruments as you noted...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I confess that I can listen to quite a few different things and be perfectly happy lately. Not sure why but my quest for true high end sound has morphed into being able to listen "through" speakers, modest amps, etc. and really not pay much attention to what they are specifically doing or not doing but simply selecting some music and letting it play.

There are of course some choice components that I feel have really turned things around for me in this regard and the interesting thing is, I believe they have enabled me to have a different set of standards for other components also. In other words they have let me get on with listening and not critiquing. My critiquing has become easy, swift, no hand wringing and far less thought involved than even 2 yrs. ago.

So yes, I am happy and quite surprised at how easily I have become so.

David

I would love to know who voted for the "@#$%^&*+!!!!!!" option and why :~)

P.S. Unless it was WGScott, the ill-tempered audiophile, just playing tricks on everyone :~)

Ha, I didn't even notice that before. I would have picked it if I had seen it, just for the fun of it.

No electron left behind.