IGNORED

How Happy Are You With Your (Main) System?

How happy are you with your (main) system?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like I was wrong about Halcro.

However unless you WANT to change your amps; surely they work the same today as they did before Halcro went bankrupt. It's the same with my Saab... Works just as well today as before GM cut the apron strings... And if there's a problem with it; plenty of skilled independent engineers or look at replacing it then.

Eloise

Yes its true the amps work but for how long? Without customer support, the danger increases daily. I prefer to purchase from companies that are thriving and continue to support and upgrade their products. Mark Levinson is one of those companies. I traded the Halcro's while they still had some value. The longer I kept them the lower that value would have been.

Cincy

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords

The first album in Auro-3D 24/96 9.1 surround has been introduced by 2L - the Nordic Sound.

Auro-3d: Auro-3D / Auro Technologies : Three-dimensional sound

Should I become unhappy with my rig for only being that old fashion 5.1?

I can go 7.1 with my current setup, but I'll need an extra Weiss AFI1 to go beyond that.

Thanks to smart modular approach, I can just keep adding speakers up to say 15.1 or 13.3

Hmmmm . . . I do believe I still love my current rig!

I love the enthusiasm DigiPete!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yes its true the amps work but for how long? Without customer support, the danger increases daily.

Actually ... there is no more danger of an amp stopping working if you don't have customer support than if you do. I guess what you mean is if the amp does stop working you no longer have any warranty.

I prefer to purchase from companies that are thriving and continue to support and upgrade their products. Mark Levinson is one of those companies.

As I commented Mark Levinson did go through its own difficult patch and are no longer an independent company - though very few audio companies (of any size) are completely independent these days.

I traded the Halcro's while they still had some value. The longer I kept them the lower that value would have been.

I can't fault your logic there... though some products will actually rise in value if they are no longer available.

I hope I didn't come across as saying your changing the amps was a bad or wrong decision; just giving an alternative point of view.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I love the enthusiasm DigiPete!

Thanks Chris

It's interesting to note that we now have an increasing variety of PCM music formats available expanding the music into 3D:

1.0 A single point source. Known as mono.

2.0 Expands the point into a 60 degree surface. Known as stereo, old school and widely available

4.0 Expands the surface into 360 degree.

5.1 360 degree surface in higher resolution. Todays std. surround music format.

7.1 360 degree surface in even higher resolution.

9.1 Half sphere made up of a 5.1 plate and a 4.0 situated above pointing down 30 degree. #

10.1 Half sphere in higher resolution. #

11.1 Half sphere in even higher resolution. #

13.1 Half sphere in the current highest resolution. #

Morten Lindber of 2L:

"The difference between Surround 5.1 and Auro 9.1 is much different then the difference between stereo and surround sound . . . suddenly it feels so natural using the 3-D Auro listening formats".

#new Auro formats used in the latest 2L surround recordings, see:

Auro-3D / Auro Technologies : Three-dimensional sound

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

As much as there is a "standard" isn't the standard usually 5.0 - i.e. no sub channel?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

4.0 Expands the surface into 360 degree.

A question I have been asking myself for a loooong time - maybe you can help me. What is the advantage of 5.x towards 4.x for music reproduction?

And why not have the fifth speaker over the listening place pointing downwards? That should allow reproduction of a half-sphere, too?!

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

As much as there is a "standard" isn't the standard usually 5.0 - i.e. no sub channel?

Eloise, you may have a point, I suppose I do not notice the difference in my system.

A question I have been asking myself for a loooong time - maybe you can help me. What is the advantage of 5.x towards 4.x for music reproduction?

The idea is that the angular information is higher, helping both at recording and reproduction.

I am constantly fooled, so I'm not sure the center channel is a huge advantage on a well set up audiophile surround setup reproducing a good source.

Ie. I think the biggest advantage is if either the recording or the reproduction equipment is sub standard or not set up optimally.

Getting perfect timing from all speakers to get optimal stereo/3D image becomes increasingly complex as you increase the number of speakers.

Automated delay compensation is a great help and important for the WAF in as it gives some freedom in speaker placement - just move them out to the wall.

And why not have the fifth speaker over the listening place pointing downwards? That should allow reproduction of a half-sphere, too?!

The guess brain is way too clever for that.

It takes at least 2 fronts and one rear, and preferably 4 elevated speakers to get the required 3D effect IMHO.

All in all we have a lot of exiting stuff to learn about surround, I can't wait, I want to hear 9.1 asap ;-)

I am very happy with the current main stereo system. I made the switch to digital inputs and a DAC.

I feel this is a no-compromise system. The sound is so good I find myself listening to more music.

The convenience of a music server is awesome given the sound is no compromise.

This setup is providing excellent sound ...

Auraliti PK100 file player with the optional linear power supply

-- direct connected USB HD with music in AIFF format

-- MPOD on a Ipod Touch as the remote control

-- MPAD on an Ipad as another remote control

-- 75 ohm BNC out to the W4S DAC2

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DAC

Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 amplifier

B&W 802 series 3 (last year prior to diamond tweeters)

I find 24bit music sounds very good with more dynamic range. The system able to resolve subtle details.

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DAC

B&W 802 series 3 (last year prior to diamond tweeters)

I find 24bit music sounds very good with more dynamic range. The system able to resolve subtle details.

Pedentary here but - do you mean the B&W 802 Series 3; or the B&W 802 prior to the diamond tweeters? The latter is the N802.

The Matrix Series 3 came out late 80s/early 90s (not sure exact date) and the N800 series came out in 1998.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Yes, it is Nautilus 802 series 3 (just prior to diamond tweeters)

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DAC

B&W Nautilus 802 series 3 (last year prior to diamond tweeters)

Yes, it is Nautilus 802 series 3

Sorry as I say being pedantic/argumentative: but it's EITHER a B&W N(autilus)802 OR it's a B&W 802 (Matrix) Series 3.

As you say just prior to the diamond tweeter it will be a N802 (it has a spherical mid range and tubed tweeter).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Sorry as I say being pedantic/argumentative: but it's EITHER a B&W N(autilus)802 OR it's a B&W 802 (Matrix) Series 3.

As you say just prior to the diamond tweeter it will be a N802 (it has a spherical mid range and tubed tweeter).

Eloise

I had a pair of the N802 in the red cherry color. I loved those things.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am very happy with my main system (Macbook-Audirvana+-AP2-Hegel HD10-Van Medevoort MA250-Cabasse Riga&Cabasse Santorin30) when I listen to classical music. However, when I play electronica or hip hop, it comes out better on my B&W Zeppelin Air which cost me less than a tenth of my main system. Would you have an idea of what could explain this? My personal feeling is that my main system is very transparent, which is nice for well recorded classical music as it sounds very natural but not so nice for electronica as all the effects come out in a clinical manner. Does this explanation sound plausible, or could something else be at play?

I am very happy with my main system (Macbook-Audirvana+-AP2-Hegel HD10-Van Medevoort MA250-Cabasse Riga&Cabasse Santorin30) when I listen to classical music. However, when I play electronica or hip hop, it comes out better on my B&W Zeppelin Air which cost me less than a tenth of my main system. Would you have an idea of what could explain this? My personal feeling is that my main system is very transparent, which is nice for well recorded classical music as it sounds very natural but not so nice for electronica as all the effects come out in a clinical manner. Does this explanation sound plausible, or could something else be at play?

Two possibilities I can think of offhand (doesn't mean I'm right or even close, but you asked, so I'm speculating):

Classical: Orchestral or smaller ensembles?

- If the latter, then perhaps your electronica is louder, revealing limitations on how loud your system can be and still sound good.

- If the former, then perhaps the instrument localization problems inherent in a subwoofer-plus-satellite configuration (timing differences from different locations of the speakers - in real life, a synthesizer doesn't jump 10 feet to one side whenever it plays a low note, then back when it plays midrange and high notes) aren't revealed so much in the context of an orchestra where instruments are spread out in a mass across the soundstage.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It may also partly be a trick of the mind.

As you expect less of the zeppelin, you probably do not listen as critically.

I would love to know who voted for the "@#$%^&*+!!!!!!" option and why :~)

P.S. Unless it was WGScott, the ill-tempered audiophile, just playing tricks on everyone :~)

Dang. I just voted, and also didn't see that.

@#$%^&*+!!!!!!

I did vote "not completely happy", but I suppose it is more a reflection on my highly positive outlook.

However, when I play electronica or hip hop, it comes out better on my B&W Zeppelin Air which cost me less than a tenth of my main system. Would you have an idea of what could explain this? ... could something else be at play?

The Zeppelin does some pretty major digital signal processing. If it is done well, it should improve the sound. In this case, it might be improving it better than your expensive system can render it. Hip Hop and electronica recordings might be produced in such a way that they really do benefit from this sort of enhancement.

The Zeppelin does some pretty major digital signal processing. If it is done well, it should improve the sound. In this case, it might be improving it better than your expensive system can render it. Hip Hop and electronica recordings might be produced in such a way that they really do benefit from this sort of enhancement.

Gosh, golly, gee, Scott, I feel the same way when listening to Led Zeppelin. No matter what the system. But I yield to your knowing in the facile way you easily communicate the opportunities that can be discovered and the myriad of meanings that can be meant. (OK, this post precedes three shots of Patron)(Anejo in case someone is interested. Excellent sipping T). Go figure.

Best,

Richard

I think you most definitely should. Or build a pair of 3.5's - they are sonically equivalent to the Wood Artistry Orion 4's.

My Exasound E20 + Orion setup is by far the most realistic, natural sounding system I have ever heard.

Greg

nothing to complain about here but I would like to try a pair of LINKWITZ LAB ORION-4 speakers.
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to listen to just itunes without a dedicated player and i always thought i was missing something... I mean my Music Streamer II DAC is incredible and i saw a huge difference the day i got it, but now that i got Amarra hifi... It sounds a whole lot better. I dont have no fancy setup but it sure as hell satisfies my music listening for now! :D

iMac -> Audirvana+ -> Schiit Modi -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Audioengine P4

• 3 weeks later...
The word I was trying to think of was: synergy.

Current setup exhibits "good" synergy between the DAC / HEADAMP / CANS - which I think is very important. On an individual basis, my equipment doesn't rank very high on the "cost" scale, but what is delivered in my opinion far exceeds what I paid out.

Anyway - me likes, me happy.

Of course, about five hours writing the above, I had to drag out my old Music Infinity amp & ELAC 202 speakers, migrating the B&W MM-1s to the bed room.

Now I want a better amp to use with my ATV2 / ELAC 202s as Music Infinity amp has cracked pc board (well I assume it is) beneath the volume pot .... guess ya get what ya pay for --> tis ok, but looks like better support for volume pot would have stopped the issues I am having now.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

I'm very happy with my setup as is. One of the main "turning points"(and that has since lasted and further evolved) came when I first tried out playing my music from a laptop-based harddrive to a D/A-converter some four years ago, instead of using a conventional CD-player. To me this solution bested my CDP and several others I tested in sound quality by several margins, at a much lower price no less, and moreover the user interface of computer playback appealed to me immensely - indeed free-setting.

Another turning point came a little over two years ago in the wake of a longer period of loudspeaker merry-go-rounds, where (among other things) I became increasingly annoyed by and aware of the limitations(to my ears and taste) of direct radiating dome tweeters, leading me to finally more or less settle down with waveguide-based speakers. First a pair of Aether Audio Timepiece 3.0, and then my current speakers from polish Auto-Tech using a larger 12" waveguide in front of a BMS compression driver(not least) and a 12" mid/bass driver, all built into sturdy and well-damped fiberglass enclosures. The energy-coherence here, effortlessness, physicality, honest insight, and naturalness was simply a relief to me to be confronted with.

Yet another turning point, perhaps a controversial one, was the "discovery" of the traits of solid-core wires. Obviously this may be a very generalized and even subjectively laden observation of mine, but all my solid-core cables - be they speaker-, IC-, digital-, or powercables - have now "rested" for some years in my setup.

Lastly, if you will, is the advent in my setup of the analogue switching amp from NuForce, now a few years old. Like my speakers there's a particular honesty, insight, and free-flowing agility to the sound of these amps, which to my ears simply translates into 'musically involving."

As is a few initiatives are looming in the horison: one, I'm planning on upgrading my current digital interface(RME 9632 - XLR AES/EBU) with the Audiophilleo2 + battery power supply for a direct BNC-BNC connection. Two, my listening-/livingroom needs some acoustical treatment. Three, a "Serious sub"(that is, only one - to begin with) may enter my setup in a year or so. It comprises a 21" Precision Devices bass driver build into a closed box.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

My system is complete, I am very happy with it and I do not plan any upgrades for the moment. The only thing that I am changing for the moment is the song that is playing!

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

Let's say, I'm happy with current results, but more happy with the direction and momentum. What that means in real terms, is that I'm building a new set of speakers (actually building) which I've been planning since 2007, and I'm fairly certain about my next DAC/preamp upgrade, based on the in home testing results of a friend in Europe who's system and taste I know very well. Well, at least the power amp and cables will stay the same... and the other stuff is spinning off into secondary systems. I'm very happy with the progress in the best of digital, just not especially the price... though very decent digital can be had for as little as $2K (NAD M51). That unit will either be moving to my girl friend's or my bedroom system.