IGNORED

Drugs

Which option(s) most closely matches your thoughts ...  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm actually one on the medicinal / prescription drug users on the forum. Not that it makes me a spokesperson for all of us, but personally I have no objections to the poll or ensuing discussion.

I figure CA is pretty much a self selecting forum for adults, not children, so the subject of drug use seems appropriate given the many links between it and music. I've found this particular thread by turns amusing and interesting.

To those who have objected, I wonder if you'd be kind enough to expand on your reasons?

I knew you were a cable denier all along but I was willing to overlook it.

I admit it was hard to be so understanding when I realised you were also a commie renewable energy user, bent on depriving the noble utility companies from income.

But now, to have the gall to admit to being a push poll starter... Some sins are simply unforgivable. Have yourself slapped with a wet kipper and then, maybe, we'll talk about reparations, ok?

Who cares, people are wise enough to know what they put in their body could harm them later in life and the take risk they take so its always a personal choice, but I can't wait for the thread on which fine Ale's people enjoy when they set back while listening to music..

The Truth Is Out There

@dallasjustice One of the terrific things about this forum is the amount of comity it has. Accusing another member of a hidden agenda goes against that.

Also, you might wish to reconsider the benefits of arguing about global warming with a bunch of guys with backgrounds in science and engineering. This may be an issue better raised in Anti-Anthropegenic Global Warming Audiophile, which I believe is a spin-off from Young Earth Audiophile.

Also, you might wish to reconsider the benefits of arguing about global warming with a bunch of guys with backgrounds in science and engineering. This may be an issue better raised in Anti-Anthropegenic Global Warming Audiophile, which I believe is a spin-off from Young Earth Audiophile.

Thanks, Akapod, I very much appreciate your support. However, I disagree that he is wrong to argue about this, or anything else, with "experts" (not that I am one). I was reminded of a quote by Karl Popper from Quantum Theory and the Schism in Physics, which, by the way, advocates an objectivist interpretation:

Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 5.51.26 AM.png

What is objectionable is not the questioning; this is far too important to discourage, as it is the only way forward, ultimately. Rather, it is seeing hidden agendas and conspiracies where none exist. Scientists (and everyone else) can be wrong about this for perfectly legitimate, honest reasons. When the preponderance of the accumulated empirical data fail to support the hypothesis, I will quite quickly change my mind.

I will however confess one secret opinion that I hold: those susceptible to such suggestions are probably suffering from the same malady that makes them susceptible to extraordinary claims about audio cables, differences between files with identical checksums, and other such opinions.

I agree with regard to extraordinary claims about cables - except if they are extraordinary cables. ;-)

mav52, since I think alcohol is fairly considered a drug, name your ale, man.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I agree with regard to extraordinary claims about cables - except if they are extraordinary cables. ;-)

mav52, since I think alcohol is fairly considered a drug, name your ale, man.

Hey Jud, I happen to enjoy, Chimay Blue, Vicavis Tripel, Three Floyds’ Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout and Trappistes 10, Founders KBS to name a few, oh Anchor Summer Beer

The Truth Is Out There

Hey Jud, I happen to enjoy, Chimay Blue, Vicavis Tripel, Three Floyds’ Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout and Trappistes 10, Founders KBS to name a few, oh Anchor Summer Beer

They have Founders in SC? They are local for me, sadly the acoustics there (at the brewery bar) are awful!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I happen to enjoy, Chimay Blue...

After the first Chimay, I can't detect any difference between Red and Blue. :)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

They have Founders in SC? They are local for me, sadly the acoustics there (at the brewery bar) are awful!

I pick it up when I'm in Charlotte NC or Augusta GA

After the first Chimay, I can't detect any difference between Red and Blue.
after 3 I'm pretty happy.

The Truth Is Out There

Sierra Nevada is pretty darn good for something that's everywhere now. And have you tried Stoudt's American Ale? Nicely light for summer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Sierra Nevada is pretty darn good for something that's everywhere now. And have you tried Stoudt's American Ale? Nicely light for summer.

Jud I sure haven't. My daughter lives in Morrisville Pa and is coming down in Nov. I will have to get her to bring me a few samples of Stoudt.

The Truth Is Out There

The placebo effect is the most common explanation for expensive cables...

...I think the results of this poll are a much better explanation.

:)

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

For the beer fans:

Pester you local dealer for Little Creatures pale ale. It comes all the way over here from Australia (to Scotland in my case) but still manages to taste fresher than much of our home grown.

Works well with Dire Straits and similar, in lossless aiff files, mid-fi system, no special room treatments. A chilled glass (Italian style) helps, though it's also good straight out of the bottle, outdoors on a warm evening.

Oh, and ps - no paticular dress code, but I like to enjoy it wearing denims, white shirt (untucked, open neck, no tie), and no shoes. YMMV etc, but I think you'll find I have a point (somewhere!)

I'm enjoying some tasty New Belgium Ranger IPA at the moment. Picked it up last week in Indy while visiting the parents...can't get it here in Philly so I picked up a case of their variety pack as well...mmm...tasty.

My favorite is some Victory V12 and some John Coltrane.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I'm enjoying some tasty New Belgium Ranger IPA at the moment. Picked it up last week in Indy while visiting the parents...can't get it here in Philly so I picked up a case of their variety pack as well...mmm...tasty.

My favorite is some Victory V12 and some John Coltrane.

Bill

Although I am sick to death of IPAs, it is hard to go wrong if Coltrane is involved.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Little Creatures is one of our best local brewers.

Unfortunately it has just been sold to international brewer Lion.

LC Pale Ale with a healthy dose of Led Zeppelin seems to bring back memories of Dental School, and I'm never sure if that's a good thing or not!

Little Creatures is one of our best local brewers.

Unfortunately it has just been sold to international brewer Lion.

LC Pale Ale with a healthy dose of Led Zeppelin seems to bring back memories of Dental School, and I'm never sure if that's a good thing or not!

A few St. Peter's cream stouts with some 'Gary Moore' also works wonders.

The Truth Is Out There

Boy, I'm sorry but people who have a problem with the poll should lighten up! Haven't any of you noticed Bill has quite a well developed sense or humor, irony and sarcasm? Reading in context is a more intelligent approach than being a literalist.

It's certainly your right to not like it or be offended, but you know, you really don't have to read it...Just don't click.

I don't read the threads arguing about cables anymore b/c they are pointless circular arguments. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a thread like that if others want to discuss it. It's not my place to enter the ongoing discussion and complain about its' existence. If the thread grows, that means there are people who want to respond.

The only person that has a right to censor here is Chris. I'm thankful he rarely uses that power.

I do agree that maybe there should be an "off topic" category. Then complaints about "why is that here?" wouldn't be valid.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

How can this be an anonymous poll if you have to log in to vote?

Unlike many here, I was too young to participate in the hippy generation. However, what followed seemed like a main-stream co-optation of the recreational drug culture by the music industry. Music from groups like Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead seemed almost designed for recreational hallucinogenic drug users.

It occurred to me recently that audiophiles who care enough about sound to worry one way or another about what their cables and electronics sound like in micro-detail might have pretty strong opinions, either negative or positive, about mixing music and drugs.

I also recognize the reason this is not discussed on a public forum.

So I thought an anonymous poll might be amusing...

Boy, I'm sorry but people who have a problem with the poll should lighten up! Haven't any of you noticed Bill has quite a well developed sense or humor, irony and sarcasm? Reading in context is a more intelligent approach than being a literalist.

It's certainly your right to not like it or be offended, but you know, you really don't have to read it...Just don't click.

I don't read the threads arguing about cables anymore b/c they are pointless circular arguments. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a thread like that if others want to discuss it. It's not my place to enter the ongoing discussion and complain about its' existence. If the thread grows, that means there are people who want to respond.

The only person that has a right to censor here is Chris. I'm thankful he rarely uses that power.

I do agree that maybe there should be an "off topic" category. Then complaints about "why is that here?" wouldn't be valid.

"What do you mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind." Peace Sells, Megadeth, Dave Mustaine

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX