IGNORED

Drugs

Which option(s) most closely matches your thoughts ...  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few St. Peter's cream stouts with some 'Gary Moore' also works wonders.

Hey !

Let's give this a (late) twist :

Why do I have the feeling that the US doesn't know what beer, whiskey and a coffee shop is ? did we discuss wines ?

I'd suggest England, Scotland, Holland, Belgium and France. Pick your choice which is where.

Can we fight over this now ?

:-)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

More seriously (okay, I already was), in my view the subject can be fairly serious and as someone already said : music should stand on its own. Hey, sex too.

Or ?

Well, as what I've seen this doesn't count for everyone. Not sure where this "starts to go wrong", but once one needs that drug etc., somehow it can't be a hoy without it. But why ?

I'm not an expert on this at all, but I seem to observe a few things. Take the good old house party.

Notice my own desrciption of "house party" : A large group of people (100s) in a hall filled with loud high bpm music, them getting high by means of amphetamine and such.

(I tried Wikipedia but that's too much about parties in a house - which is certainly not what I'm talking about - or ?)

I once did the test;

In my own house there was this party. Nothing much more than a birthday party with family like grand parents, neighbours and for sure of average age so they don't visit (my description of) "house parties" ever. Btw, I did.

It was in the time of "house music" being fairly popular and for today think about Infected Mushroom or something like that (ah, mushrooms should be in the list).

The beats per minute do a job here. Carefully select the music and carefully let go higher that bpm; Because it's the most stupid music to play in front of the elderly, it is them who make fun of it first. They may start to swing with arms and legs and such, and the jonger may say "hey, okay, when they like it, I can join in".

I could let last this happening for over two hours ("house parties" last until 10 am) and everybody was on couches and tables. Everybody - no exception. All stoned.

Alcohol yes, drugs no.

It takes "something" to get over a hurdle and without drugs this hurdle is high. With, it lowers. Well, nothing new I guess.

But the point is that the adrenaline or whatever it is, can be stimulated by other means just the same;

If I hear "perfect music" the shivers are there and chances are high that a next track sounds good because a first one did. It triggered something. Drugs can be this trigger. I never saw alcohol doing something like that.

I'm a bit reluctant, but I dare to go further :

Go and have this superior "never ending" night of sex ... and find yourself drunk the whole of the next day with the same feeling as having drunk a full bottle of distilled the night before - which you did not at all.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

@Jay Please accept my condolences.

I kind of got tired of repeating the following, but I will just one more time for clarification: It was never the intent of this poll to endorse drug abuse, etc. Personally, I am very afraid of drugs and alcohol, even prescription drugs properly administered, and avoid them. I don't even take vitamins.

I was however curious to see to what extent American/European casual drug culture influences or overlaps with high-end audio proponents and audiophiles. (The answer by the way is much more than I would have guessed.)

I don't know how I feel about the term "The Evil Weed" as here in Colorado the evil weed is now legal :) In my own case the only drug that I partake is Pepsi :)

ROTFLMAO

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it is my turn now. I've had far more drugs (mostly opiates) in the last 4 days than I planned to ingest in the next four lifetimes.

I thought it might change my perception of music, but it hasn't. If anything, it just makes it harder to concentrate and pay attention.

Well, it is my turn now. I've had far more drugs (mostly opiates) in the last 4 days than I planned to ingest in the next four lifetimes.

I thought it might change my perception of music, but it hasn't. If anything, it just makes it harder to concentrate and pay attention.

I turned down the strong pain killers and just took Ibuprofen after my knee replacement. Like you I do not like the way they make me feel.

No electron left behind.

Did I show you my piccie:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3331[/ATTACH]

Ouch. My sister-in-law had a similar injury a couple of years back. Be sure to do all the rehab faithfully, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

What you need to watch out for is the risk of contracting Metallosis Maligna.

Be warned, this is satire but done completely deadpan. Actually it's a bit freaky. I suppose you could use it to wind up family members, depending on how weird their sense of humour is.

I didn't get any fun drugs after my surgery, just over the counter type painkillers (albeit at the maximum dose of the maximum strength variants). They told me that there was absolutely no benefit in trying to cut down before I was ready. To me they didn't seem to be doing anything much, just (as you say) kind of dulled the senses. It wasn't until I didn't need them so much that I started to rather enjoy the sensation. Next time around I swear I'm gonna be more demanding (at the risk of sounding like the guy out of Police Academy).

Good luck with the recovery. It can feel like very slow going but you do get there in the end. One step at a time (forgive the pun)

I can honestly say I never really knew the meaning of the word before this.

Piccie? Yeah, first time I've seen that used myself.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 8 months later...

Nine months and one day later, countless hours of physical therapy, and, sure as shit, it still hurts. (For some reason, standing and walking around giving a biochemistry lecture at 8:00 AM hurts more than hiking to Angels Landing in Zion, or biking 40 miles.) I can easily see how people get hooked on prescription pain-killers.

It usually takes two years for the pain to really settle. Then it just aches a bit during cold weather. There's inevitably a bit of residual osteoarthritis in the ankle and the pain from that tends to be worse in the morning and lessens when you warm up - hence less with hiking and biking. Ibuprofen helps a lot and is non-addictive.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Nine months and one day later, countless hours of physical therapy, and, sure as shit, it still hurts. (For some reason, standing and walking around giving a biochemistry lecture at 8:00 AM hurts more than hiking to Angels Landing in Zion, or biking 40 miles.) I can easily see how people get hooked on prescription pain-killers.

Sounds like I'm joking, but I'm really not: Might different footwear help?

(Zion - fond memories. Hope to get into the Narrows one day; couldn't the last time, rain upcountry and danger of flooding.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It usually takes two years for the pain to really settle. Then it just aches a bit during cold weather. There's inevitably a bit of residual osteoarthritis in the ankle and the pain from that tends to be worse in the morning and lessens when you warm up - hence less with hiking and biking. Ibuprofen helps a lot and is non-addictive.

Yeah, my "pain" is more or less an ache rather than anything severe, and I have been eating a lot of Vitamin I. I hope my kidneys don't fail.

I traded in the sandals* for hiking boots** this morning (we try to be as formal as possible). Helped a bit.

* = eccou154782_85502_jb.jpg

** = 093ce4ac-cf2e-4562-b411-56d76b8519d4.jpg

I also test-rode a couple of road bikes yesterday, so that probably contributes as well.

One was $8.5K. Oy.

You need to waste that kind of money on audio, not something frivolous.

I've had a few very painful injuries and severe migraines several times a week for most of my life. Naturally I've taken all kinds of heavy duty pain killers. I could never get hooked on them. The only thing that would tempt me is the hospital morphine drip. If it were possible to get that at the drugstore, maybe.

I think getting "hooked" on anything has to do with personality more than the "thing."

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I'll stop complaining.

Please don't. Your complaints are usually fun!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.