IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Larry, thanks for the nice words. Regarding the "DSD" logo, I'm not sure it means much. I have many SACD's that are not native DSD recordings, yet have a DSD logo (Rolling Stones and The Police, for example). I'm not sure why some don't have the logo, since DSD is certainly used in the process.

Thanks, Ted. I went to the SA-CD.net website and looked up a bunch of my SACD's. Most of them (including those with the DSD logo) were not listed as native DSD. As tiberiuspv noted, it looks like most companies are not revealing their recording chain. I did notice that some of the SACD's do say "Native DSD". Perhaps that is where SA-CD.net gets their information about DSD origin in their website.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Thank you Ted! Just won a PS3 on eBay (CECHA / firmware 3.01) and look forward to backing up my SACD collection. Have some rare titles such as Allison Krauss / Union Station, Duke Ellington / Blues in Orbit that I am looking forward to backing up. I want to get Sarah Brightman SACD's yet they are VERY expensive such as La Luna.

Will let you know how it goes...

Jeff

So my MoFi Sinatra "Where Are You" appears to hang when I click "OK" to rip to USB flash drive. No visible progress, unable to go back or quit the app; the disc ejects quickly if I press the eject button, but the screen still hangs and I have to power the PS3 down with its power button. However, I discovered that the ISO was created and appears to be full size and fully usable. No such problem with the other Sinatra MoFis or the other SACDs I've done so far (Mingus, Brautigam's Beethoven sonatas), which show the proper progress bar etc. Any suggestions?

Yes Sam, we've documented that here before. When that happens the ISO is being ripped, just the display is frozen. So...get yourself a USB stick that has a light on it so you can see when the rip is done (i.e the light stops blinking). But then, yes, you need to reboot. Happens with about 5% of my rips.

Thanks, I'd missed that part of the "hang" posts. I saw posts about various USB flash drives and speed. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G3 I had lying around, and getting speeds just over 2 MB/s, which I gather is close to the max possible. Is there a consensus or recommendation about the fastest flash drive (for this application) that also has a status indicator light?

It's very difficult to say for sure whether or not one can really tell the difference between DSD recordings and PCM ones, though the best source of comparison might be the SFSO Mahler series, where the first 5 or so recordings are DSD, and the latter ones PCM (by recording date, not Symphony No.). There are so many different engineers out there, who have different preferences, that a true A/B comparison as a simple consumer is almost impossible.

Once the SACD patents expire there should be computer SACD player and ripping programs, e.g. JRMC. So the mess will have an end... :-))

SACD patents supposedly will expire in 2014 according to some source I cannot identify anymore. Anybody knowledgeable to comment/ confirm?

Fred,

You can rip SACDs now. And the DSD patent is not expiring soon; not sure where you got that.

Why did you post this exact question in FOUR threads here??

Fred,

You can rip SACDs now. And the DSD patent is not expiring soon; not sure where you got that.

Why did you post this exact question in FOUR threads here??

Thanks for the prompt reply, and my apologies, Ted, I did not intend to bother you. As a newbie I thought some older threads would not be read anymore, so I posted two (not 4) identicals.

Neverhteless, I find the current way of ripping SACDs far more difficult in terms of equipment (PS 3 et al.) and effort than the ripping of CDs, like with db poweramp. Or did I miss a simpler approach?

No, you are correct, the PS3 approach is much more kludgy (not the actual ripping per se, just the obtaining and hacking/preparing)...but it's all we've got. I would love for the patent and the DRM locks to be moot by next year, but not at all what I've heard. I'd love to be wrong; DSD is a great format.

Not a bother, FredoDeville, just a rule of these forums..so people don't go helping and chasing solutions that have already been replied to in the other identical posts. Also, trolls and spam tend to show up in duplicates, with identical wording, so I'd hope we don't throw out your legitimate input accidentally. No harm no foul, though, in your case. And yes, sorry, THREE threads not four. :)

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Any further news on installing the sacd ripper on PS3 machines upgraded to firmware newer than 3.55?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Hi-

I see several models with this number CECH-2001A for sale online.

Is this one of the CECHA models that will work?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi-

I see several models with this number CECH-2001A for sale online.

Is this one of the CECHA models that will work?

No, that is a 2009 release, doesn't play SACDs and is not compatible. See last column "CECH2xxx"

sacd list.jpg

No, that is a 2009 release, doesn't play SACDs and is not compatible. See last column "CECH2xxx"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4895[/ATTACH]

okay, get it now. the chart has that type as CECH2 (no hyphen before the 2) so I wasn't sure. Thanks

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4895[/ATTACH]

okay, get it now. the chart has that type as CECH2 (no hyphen before the 2) so I wasn't sure. Thanks

Yeah! STS, you are a new member of the ripping club. :)

Hi Ted,

just being curious ... any idea how many club members are around and on which continent?

Thanks to your great support on this issue you might be the only person to guess ...

I have about 400 CDs, 80 SACDs, 10 DVD-As, and have been a longtime audio enthusiast. I have always used traditional surround sound receivers and combo players to listen to this collection. I now want to make a big push into digitizing my collection. Ideally I would like to be able to

1. Digitize my entire collection

2. Playback in native format - two channel for CDs and some SACDs and multichannel for many SACDs and DVD-As

3. Use some easy method to pick out which music to play

A newbie question - can this be done?

I have been trying to soak up as much from this site as possible. I am thinking of doing this with a Mac, Audirvana Plus, some type of multichannel DAC, and run it all through my existing 5.1 speaker setup

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

I have about 400 CDs, 80 SACDs, 10 DVD-As, and have been a longtime audio enthusiast. I have always used traditional surround sound receivers and combo players to listen to this collection. I now want to make a big push into digitizing my collection. Ideally I would like to be able to

2. Playback in native format - two channel for CDs and some SACDs and multichannel for many SACDs and DVD-As

I have been trying to soak up as much from this site as possible. I am thinking of doing this with a Mac, Audirvana Plus, some type of multichannel DAC, and run it all through my existing 5.1 speaker setup

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

Welcome to CA. By the way, a PM has been sent to you for your Guide request. :)

I am doing exactly what you describe. 2010-2012 was my 2 channel DSD/hirez PCM learning curve (while evaluating dozens of DACS, etc). After much trial and error I settled on a CAPS V3 Lagoon-like server (I called it CAPS V2+ in my thread here, just search on my profile) with Windows 8 and JRiver...after being a MAC Mini person for several years. I settled on the Meitner MA-1 as my big rig DAC, and a Mytek DSD-capable Stereo192-DSD DAC as my home office rig.

I became a sort of Mytek field rep during all this :) and one thing I kept harping on them was to get me to my next goal: 2013 was to be the attempt to do pure native DSD in 5.1. Well, my thread about 3 stacked Mytek stereo DACs was published almost two months ago! It was easier than I thought (thanks to Mytek, Miska and others here) and I now have a listening chair and an ipad jremote app that allows me to browse and play redbook, 24 bit hirez (including DVD-Audio) and DSD, the latter two in both 2 channel and 5.1 native playback. And the results are amazing.....computer audio not only improves convenience and library browsing, but also improves the playback quality through all the things we discuss here (minimalism, reduced EMI/RF, better s/n, lower noise floor, lack of spinning discs, better playback software, etc etc).

It's not done by any means. It's still a bit kludgy (5.1 DSD I mean) with cabling, USB hub, 3 DACS, etc...but it is a great set of building blocks..and proves that 5.1 surround is here for computer audio music lovers. On the MAC side both Damien (Audirvana Plus) and Rob (Pure Music) have either released or announced full multichannel playback capabilities, to go along with JRiver's new expansion to the OSX platform.

I will cover some issues and options in my May column due out shortly.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Guys, thanks for the quick reply. Ted, your setup certainly proves it can be done and I am excited to hear of the great sound quality you are getting. I am hoping that multi-channel DACs are in the very near future. In the next month or two I would like to purchase a Mac Mini, Audirvana, and if need be a 2 channel DAC and start digitizing/listening to my collection. Past that I am hoping to use the great directions Ted sent along to digitize my SACDs but of course to play them back in multi-channel I need a multi-channel DAC. I am hoping to use the iTunes App on a iPad Mini to control the whole thing.

Since much of this is new to me, do most DACs hook to surround sound receivers over RCA connections? Will multi-channel DACs use an HDMI connection to a surround sound receiver?