IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

After reading relevant parts of the Wikipedia page on OtherOS and various posts on PS3 forums, I tend to think that the warning I received just means that advancing beyond FW 3.15 will eliminate the possibility of installing the official release of OtherOS via the "Install OtherOS" XMB option.

But I'm definitely going to wait for more informed opinion.

Another one of these first-timers keen to get one of those famous PMs ted_b seems to so freely send out.

I've finally opened up the box of the PS3 I bought last year, to see (a) if it works and (b) whether it has an older FW so that I can use it for the purpose for which it was bought -- to rip SACDs (now that I've bought a DSD DAC -- the new Teac one).

Both were successful (it's an unused first gen Japanese one) a CECHB. The FW as far as I can tell is 1.0!

One question that I have is whether or not I need to up the FW to 3.55 with an official Sony FW update before loading the other modified FW and where I might get that from (without risking putting the machine online and ending up with a newer FW)?

One question that I have is whether or not I need to up the FW to 3.55 with an official Sony FW update before loading the other modified FW and where I might get that from (without risking putting the machine online and ending up with a newer FW)?

1. If possible, don't connect to LAN network

2. You should be able to go straight from your current software version to CFW 3.55

3. disable the "auto-update" function (just to be sure ;-) )

If you might need some help in german, don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Grüsse ;-)

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

1. If possible, don't connect to LAN network

2. You should be able to go straight from your current software version to CFW 3.55

3. disable the "auto-update" function (just to be sure ;-) )

If you might need some help in german, don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Grüsse ;-)

Harald

Thanks for the advice, and Danke fürs Angebot!

Lenny

Just to clarify: Ted, could I get one of those PMs?

Oops, sorry, never saw the post in my email alerts! Did now. :)

PM sent, and welcome to CA. And yes, you can upgrade to the custom firmware from anything below or at 3.55. I did from 3.0x something.

There is no external way of knowing. The only way is to turn the machine on and go to System Information where the Firmware version will be displayed. If buying online, and presumable second hand, the seller should be able to do this for you. I understand that there are many non-SACD-ripping related reasons why FW3.55 versions might be floating about (I understand it's also necessary for playing pirated games), so it shouldn't be so hard/unheard of.

Good luck!

Hi all,

OK, so far so good. Updated the FW and am now on 3.55.

Installed SACD Ripper onto the PS3.

Tried my first rip (Carlos Kleiber Brahms 4 on Esoteric -- due to its small size: 1.65GB). ISO was extracted as expected onto external thumb drive.

All seemed to be running smoothly until I got to trying to rip SACDs using the Extract ISO Via Network function (much preferable). I did as asked, creating a folder called S on the C drive, ie C:/S/ and put the two files in there: sacd_extract.exe and Extract ISO Via Network.BAT which I edited to show the IP Address of the PS3: 192.168.0.14 (this seems not to change whether or not I change the socket in the wall -- which is connected to a patchpanel and onto a Gigabit switch). When I double click on the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT Windows asks me to verify running it ("Publisher could not be verified, etc etc") which I do. The command prompt style window launches for a millisecond and then disappears, and nothing else happens, either on the PC or PS3 (there's no "Client: connected" as promised).

Any thoughts?

PS This is the first time I've ever used a PS3. It gets really hot, doesn't it!? Must be Class-A...

Any thoughts?

I believe ted's batch files look to call the sacd_extract.exe file from a subfolder ("\Programs"). Edit the batch file and look. You can either edit the path or create the subfolder and move the .exe into it.

Also, you're getting the popup message because Windows doesn't trust the files. Right click on the batch file and exe and Unblock the files:

p0348b.jpg

I believe ted's batch files look to call the sacd_extract.exe file from a subfolder ("\Programs"). Edit the batch file and look. You can either edit the path or create the subfolder and move the .exe into it.

Thanks for the reply.

The code is as follows:

@Echo Off

$ sacd_extract -I -i192.168.0.14:2002

which to me implies that there's no sub-folder necessary. I could try various permutations, but I fear there must be some more fundamental issue which I've overlooked...

I thought I'd have a bit of a tinker, and decided to try in cmd

I navigated to the folder as mentioned above C:/S/ as mentioned above, and then typed the code:

sacd_extract -I -i192.168.0.14:2002

all expected actions then took place, and the SACD began to be ripped.

So, there must be something wrong with the way the BAT file is handled. And now I've reached the limit of my computer programming knowledge (which I concede is only a very small step from nothing).

Any further thoughts?

Leenyw, do you have the extract.exe both in your working folder as well as in the subfolder Programs? Sounds like it cuz my normal setup in my link is to put SACD-Extract in a subfolder called Programs, which the various extraction bat files (stereo, multichannel, DSF, DFF) call. I mentioned that the network bat file is not mine and I don't use it, but for it to work it needs to be in the same folder as the executable, right?

My guide needs a reworking I think (for many reasons). I may ask someone who has the network daemon down pat to PM me so i can make sure the instructions are crystal clear. Thanks

Hi Ted,

Can I ask some questions on playing dff files extracted from iso ripped by PS3? I recently played some dff files ripped from SACD with PS3. They can be played without problem in foobar2000 but when I play them with HQplayer the player immediately close down. This is especially when playing classical music. Only a few of them can be played like the demo SACDs. they are all ripped with the same method. I have tried both the album mode and playlist mode in HQplayer. The result is the same. Any clue what went wrong?

So, I tried a bit more tinkering (what could really go wrong?) and managed to solve it by using the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -i192.168.0.14:2002

To confirm:

1. the sacd_extract.exe and Extract ISO Via Network.BAT files need to be in the same folder, and no need to have a Programs folder as suspected.

2. the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT should have the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -iPS3IPADDRESS:2002

double clicking on the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT file should now run the process and place an ISO in the same folder as the two files above.

sacd-extract.jpg