IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I have reformatted the usb stick on my MBP but to no avail. However, it seems I have found a work-around (at least it works most of the time). If I plug the usb stick into my Mac and the drag the iso file into A+ (the files drop in perfectly and play without issue from the stick) and then do a copy from the stick to my music folder in Finder, it copies OK. How can dragging into A+ first possibly have anything to do with "unlocking" the usb drive?

Weird! Do you have another USB stick you can try?

Also try powering down the Mytek just to see if you can copy without the error. Maybe shutdown, remove the Mytek, then power up again and see if you can copy without error. Doubt it's the Mytek, but eliminating variables couldn't hurt.

I actually use my Mac Pro to extract the ISOs. I then upload the DSFs to my NAS. I then Screen Share into my Mac mini and add the DSFs to iTunes using A+. I never had a problem copying ISOs off my USB stick.

Ken

P.s. Also as an FYI, I use a Patriot Xporter XT USB stick. This boosted extraction speed. Well worth it as it puts less wear on the PS3.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hello Ted,

I've only just come across this thread and I'm interested to learn more, would it be possible to send me your packaged instructions. I'm on the look out for an appropriate PS3. A while ago I modded a Cambridge Audio Blue-Ray player to out put spdif at 24bit 88.2kHz from SACD but this seems like a better route for archiving.

Thanks! Jack.

Weird! Do you have another USB stick you can try?

Also try powering down the Mytek just to see if you can copy without the error. Maybe shutdown, remove the Mytek, then power up again and see if you can copy without error. Doubt it's the Mytek, but eliminating variables couldn't hurt.

I actually use my Mac Pro to extract the ISOs. I then upload the DSFs to my NAS. I then Screen Share into my Mac mini and add the DSFs to iTunes using A+. I never had a problem copying ISOs off my USB stick.

Ken

P.s. Also as an FYI, I use a Patriot Xporter XT USB stick. This boosted extraction speed. Well worth it as it puts less wear on the PS3.

Ken,

I have tried a recently purchased Sandisk 32 Gb stick with same results. In fact, I think I buggered-up that stick. I have reformatted it several times now on (1) my MBP, (2) W7 office laptop and (3) wife's W8 laptop. Although it successfully formated each time (used both quick and standard format - 4 hours on my W7 laptop for standart format!!), it still gave me the 36 error on the MPB every time. In addition, the stick crashed yesterday during a standart BU of my office MS laptop - never had that happen in the many years I've been backing-up my files.

So I am going to buy a new 16 Gb stick tomorrow and see if it works.

I will also try your suggestion of shutting down the Mytek and pulling the USB cable to see if that makes a difference.

I also have a FW cable that I can connect and see if that route eliminates the issue. But I'll try the USB removal first since I would like to keep that connection to my Mytek if possible.

Also, you seem to suggest that there is a difference in download speed with different sticks. How can I tell which ones available at my Best Buy store are better for this application?

I really appreciate your interest in my problem.

Regards,

John

I had a similar problem with my stick, but it was more due to using the joiner program in PC and then going back to Mac and trying to copy. In the end, I had to use the LAN to copy the joined file from the PC to the external HD. I also had issue with a couple older ripped files that worked months ago, but are grayed out now. I was discussing it over at A-circle, but no one else had that problem. I think it was with a 64gb stick.

Also, you seem to suggest that there is a difference in download speed with different sticks. How can I tell which ones available at my Best Buy store are better for this application?

I stumbled upon the Xporter XT after Googling for comments on what folks found the fastest. The Xporter XT proved to be faster than the cheap Sandisk I got at Radio Shack.

I also tried ripping to an external USB driver that had been formatted as FAT. Speeds were the same, so I figured that after a certain point it's the optical drive's speed that will govern extraction speed.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have tried a recently purchased Sandisk 32 Gb stick with same results. In fact, I think I buggered-up that stick. I have reformatted it several times now on (1) my MBP, (2) W7 office laptop and (3) wife's W8 laptop.

Sorry if you answered this already ... Does this happen with all SACDs you rip? Also have you tried the other USB port?

Also from one of your Windows machines try checking for disk errors on the USB stick. Sandisk may even have a utility that does this.

Sorry if you answered this already ... Does this happen with all SACDs you rip? Also have you tried the other USB port?/QUOTE]

Ken,

Most all CDs exhibit this same characteristic. Must be something to do with the USB port but I haven't yet swapped ports with the Mytek USB cable.

I did buy another USB stick today, a PNY 16 Gb. You brought up a great point that hadn't crossed my mind - speed of rip. With the 8Gb Sandisk I have been using the data rate was between 1-1.2 MB/s. I am now ripping the first SACD with the 16Gb PNY and the rate is double that at 2.2 MB/s!.

What are you getting with your Xporter XT?? Is it a 16 Gb capacity?

It would be most interesting if others would post what type/size drive they are using and the average rip rate they are getting.

John

I did buy another USB stick today, a PNY 16 Gb. You brought up a great point that hadn't crossed my mind - speed of rip. With the 8Gb Sandisk I have been using the data rate was between 1-1.2 MB/s. I am now ripping the first SACD with the 16Gb PNY and the rate is double that at 2.2 MB/s!.

What are you getting with your Xporter XT?? Is it a 16 Gb capacity?

Yes it is 16GB, which has been sufficient.

2.1 MB/s sounds like a very nice improvement in speed. Your PS3 is thankful I'm sure. I think I was getting somewhere between 2.4 and 2.6, but it's been a while since I paid attention to that number.

Yes, the kind of USB-thumb drive does matter, as I have stated somewhere earlier in this thread.

Most likely this is controller related, and a bit of hit and miss ...

But these sticks are quite cheap today, and getting a second one wouldn't kill your wallet.

I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 16GB, which gives me around 2,5mb/s speed .

According to the readme from Mr.Wicked, this is nearthe maximum speed one would get:

"There seems to be a SACD read speed limit that sets the maximum read speed to 2.6MB/sec"

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Just wanted to advise that with the new 16Gb PNY drive I have not experienced a single problem copying iso files into my MBP's music sub-folder. Have copied about 25 rips without issue. So there was definitly something wrong with the two Sandisk drives that gave me fits. The one thing I did notice with the PNY stick is that it seems have a tighter fit into MBP USB slot. Maybe poor contact with the Sandisk sticks had something to do with the problems I had.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to CA. PM sent.

FYI. Just the guide itself is now available on the DSD database google page (bottom of page, under "DSD sites")

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

Hi Ted,

I got an old CHECC02 60GB and would love to start ripping my sacd collection. could you please PM me.

Best regards and thanks for ur great work

Catalin

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

It´s of course not a CECH-H but a CECH-C and has FW 3.55...

Jan

SACD-ripper does not need to be compiled. It comes as a .pkg to load onto the PS3 as per my guide. I've sent you a PM with the guide and links. Welcome to CA.