IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi Ted

I've been a lurker... until now...

Any chance of sending me the links - I have downloaded the guide already..now I have a CECHC PS3 with 3.55 firmware!

P.S. I like your DSD stack you set-up for Multichannel DSD playback!!!

Thanks. PM sent. Welcome to CA.

Hi Ted,

Yet another lurker unmasked... I have been through the guide (very clear & detailed, thanks), I have a PS3 CECHA 3.55 coming in soon. I would appreciate the final missing pieces of info . Thanks in advance for your help.

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

PMs sent to both of you. Welcome to CA. :)

Hi Ted,

I am new to Music Server on computer. I have been using a piecemeal system for Christmas music for the last few years so I did not have to jump up and change CD. Burned WAV files, played with FUBAR into a 24/94 usb DAC. Sounded pretty good.

I am now getting ready for a hi-fi show and exaSound has been kind enough to loan loan us a DAC than can throughput full DSD or DSD X 2 as well as other PCM files up to 384kHz at 32 bit via usb. We want to show off the best we can and would like to get as much DVD-A and SACD onto a hard-drive. I am pretty sure I want to go jRiver unless someone has a better suggestion for the Windows environment.

I may have access to or will try to purchase a PS3 or an older Oppo that streams. I do have an Oppo BDP-105 on loan for the show – will that stream pure DSD? In either case if you could PM me with the info so I can burn the hi-rez files to HD, I would be soooo appreciative.

Best regards,

David

Hi Ted,

I am new to Music Server on computer. I have been using a piecemeal system for Christmas music for the last few years so I did not have to jump up and change CD. Burned WAV files, played with FUBAR into a 24/94 usb DAC. Sounded pretty good.

I am now getting ready for a hi-fi show and exaSound has been kind enough to loan loan us a DAC than can throughput full DSD or DSD X 2 as well as other PCM files up to 384kHz at 32 bit via usb. We want to show off the best we can and would like to get as much DVD-A and SACD onto a hard-drive. I am pretty sure I want to go jRiver unless someone has a better suggestion for the Windows environment.

I may have access to or will try to purchase a PS3 or an older Oppo that streams. I do have an Oppo BDP-105 on loan for the show – will that stream pure DSD? In either case if you could PM me with the info so I can burn the hi-rez files to HD, I would be soooo appreciative.

Best regards,

David

PM sent. But my guide is only for ripping DSD off your existing SACDs. And no, Oppo 105 will not stream DSD, it will play DSD off an SACD disc (just like any Universal player). It's USB input will play PCM and soon DSD (pre-beta firmware), but it will never stream DSD to the Exasound.

I would appreciate receiving the guide also. Our friend in Colorado has just finished ripping a couple hundred for me, most of them rare and offbeat titles. Will need to get this treasure trove set up & tagged properly.

PM sent, but you don't need the ripper. Simply follow the directions for the extractor, the latest of which is here:

sacd_extract_0.3.7_WIN32.zip - sacd-ripper - SACD Extract 0.3.7 (WIN32) - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

My recommendation is DSF (Ii have a bat file that does stereo DSF and looks for DST just in case). That way you can tag to your hearts content in JRiver.

Occasionally, especially when dealing with classical music, the extracted path names can be too long for Windows. Two steps to help prevent this are:

1) place your extrcation work folder close to a root drive (i.e not "C:/username/music/favorites/documents/my documents/ripping/SACD/daily" but instead "C:foldername"

2) rename the ISOs to a short but identifiable name

How long is that!? The file name length limit in Windows is 32767 characters...

Pathname (including the filename, ...). Limited to 256 characters (if I remember correctly).

That isn't a limit of windows, but the ISO extractor (sacd_extract).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Pathname (including the filename, ...). Limited to 256 characters (if I remember correctly).

That isn't a limit of windows, but the ISO extractor (sacd_extract).

You can save the file with longer than 256 characters and you can see it on the disk, but you sure can't open, delete or rename (even with Rename Master).

One trick is to use the old Winfile.exe, (yes from windows 3.11), as it treats anything over 8.3 as AAA~.dsf and you can rename that way.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I've seen this problem a number of times.

I moved my extraction folder to the root, and with a short folder name. I've since not found a disc that would not extract.

Exactly! As per my post (which seems to have stirred things up). i did not mean to imply the path name limitation was with the native OS (my bad), but with the Windows version of sacd_extract. The point is, keep it simple and straight forward.

Hi Ted

I've been a lurker... until now...

Any chance of sending me the links - I have downloaded the guide already..now I have a CECHC PS3 with 3.55 firmware!

P.S. I like your DSD stack you set-up for Multichannel DSD playback!!!

Got my first PS3 Rip done!!!

Photo0033.jpg

David Bridie - Act of Free Choice - BTW...

Thanks Ted for the scripts....

I had an issue with ripping Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (thought I'd better back that puppy up early)!!

It didn't come up with the status bar when ripping...and never finished... so I had to kill the program after waiting a long time.

However - it did actually work.. an ISo was on the USB & it is readable.

I suspect because the artist & title information is missing the ripper didn't like it?

Anyone ever seen this?

I had an issue with ripping Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (thought I'd better back that puppy up early)!!

It didn't come up with the status bar when ripping...and never finished... so I had to kill the program after waiting a long time.

However - it did actually work.. an ISo was on the USB & it is readable.

I suspect because the artist & title information is missing the ripper didn't like it?

Anyone ever seen this?

Yes, and we've reported on it here, but the thread is long. If the progress bar doesn't show just wait for the USB thumb drive to quit working (blinking, etc). Give it 30 min if you have no status indicator on the USB drive. Another method is to back up in the menu process, restart and try again. A few times the progress bar would then start, but often not.

Yes, and we've reported on it here, but the thread is long. If the progress bar doesn't show just wait for the USB thumb drive to quit working (blinking, etc). Give it 30 min if you have no status indicator on the USB drive. Another method is to back up in the menu process, restart and try again. A few times the progress bar would then start, but often not.

Thanks - I have a USB with a status indicator - I'll make sure I use that one in the future!!!

Hi Ted,

Just found this forum, and unlike others, it seems very active. Can you PM me your guide and link to sacd-ripper.pkg (or links to other software needed for your guide)? I have an old PS3 and 50+ SACD that I want to backup ASAP, and I would rather not go through the trouble of compile the ripper on linux myself.

Thank you in advance!

YJ

Thank you. Great guide, extremely detailed. I have found the "via network" batch file has an extra $ in front of the actual command, which prevents the bat from executing on Windows 7.

Thanks. I will fix. I don't use it, so nice work finding it. :)

First, thank you Ted for all your hard work on the great guide.

But, a question: When I try to install the 3.55 OtherOS++ from your package over 3.15 on my CECHA01, I get a warning when the box reboots that installing the (unnamed) update means I will never be able to install OtherOS (!). I used the System Update option rather than the Install OtherOS option (which I did try after seeing this warning, but it didn't see what it wanted on the USB drive).

I imagine that this is a false alarm and a function of the current FW's relatively great age, but I don't want to assume. BTW, I disabled the internet connection, so I don't see how this could be an automatic update trying to override the one I'm attempting.

Is it safe to ignore this warning?

Nessuno, I will look into it. it has been sooo long since i did the fw update that I don't remember the warning. Those of you who did this within memory's reach could you comment please.