IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hols,

First off, I am not an HQPlayer user so Miska (the developer) will have to weigh in. Second, I do not use DFF files as they have no tagging capability; I use DSF. That being said I doubt it is format (i.e probably same HQPlayer issues with your files if they were DSF). Have you tried them in JRIver? And what do you mean by :only a few of them can be played like the demo SACDs"? What demo SACDs, and how do you play SACDs on HQPlayer?

So, I tried a bit more tinkering (what could really go wrong?) and managed to solve it by using the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -i192.168.0.14:2002

To confirm:

1. the sacd_extract.exe and Extract ISO Via Network.BAT files need to be in the same folder, and no need to have a Programs folder as suspected.

2. the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT should have the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -iPS3IPADDRESS:2002

double clicking on the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT file should now run the process and place an ISO in the same folder as the two files above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4540[/ATTACH]

Great. I will check my instructions in the guide, but I thought that is what I instruct as well. ? Anyway, thanks for getting it fixed on your end.

Gang, do not get rid of the Programs folder. It is needed for all the extraction bats should you want to run them.

Hi Ted,

I extracted the dff files from using same method but some can be played but some cannot. Usually those with both stereo and multichannel ones cannot be played but some with pure stereo files also cannot be played. Usually the files ripped from demo SACD disks can be played but those from classical music SACD may not be playable in HQplayer. But these files can be played normally in foobar 2000. I have not tried them in J River. I played these files with DSD mode in HQplayer using the DOP without conversion to PCM and output through Asus Xonar soundcard ( can't use RME because it is not bit perfect) digital output to MSB IV DAC which is compatible with playing DSD 64. It sounded so much better than playing the SACD in my EMM Labs SACD combo.

Is it possible that the ISO contains both stereo and multichannel files and then the ?header already tells the player it contains both stereo and multichannel files and some players can't handle multichannel and so will shut down? I have asked the developer and he says the HQplayer can't play compressed files but I don't think that these are compressed files. thanks.

Hi Ted,

I extracted the dff files from using same method but some can be played but some cannot. Usually those with both stereo and multichannel ones cannot be played but some with pure stereo files also cannot be played. Usually the files ripped from demo SACD disks can be played but those from classical music SACD may not be playable in HQplayer. But these files can be played normally in foobar 2000. I have not tried them in J River. I played these files with DSD mode in HQplayer using the DOP without conversion to PCM and output through Asus Xonar soundcard ( can't use RME because it is not bit perfect) digital output to MSB IV DAC which is compatible with playing DSD 64. It sounded so much better than playing the SACD in my EMM Labs SACD combo.

Is it possible that the ISO contains both stereo and multichannel files and then the ?header already tells the player it contains both stereo and multichannel files and some players can't handle multichannel and so will shut down? I have asked the developer and he says the HQplayer can't play compressed files but I don't think that these are compressed files. thanks.

I suspect a simple issue: the files that don't work are DST encoded, and you used a non-DST bat file. I ALWAYS use a DST bat file (extract stereo DST DSF bat) to stay away from this issue. Maybe foobar has no issues with DST or has an internal decoder?

I have asked the developer and he says the HQplayer can't play compressed files but I don't think that these are compressed files. thanks.

Most likely they are ...

Depends on how you have extracted these from the ISOs you got from the ripper.

If you run Foobar, you could check the file(s):

- right-clivck on the track

- choose "properties"

- select the properties tab, and look whats stated in the "Codec" column

- it should read "DSD64"

- if it shows DST64, you use DST compressed files ...

edit:

advantage Ted ... again ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I know that when I tried to play multichannel files inside an ISO using JRiver 18 to my TEAC DAC, JRiver would crash every time...

Stereo worked fine though.

It would be nice if JRiver offered some better way to handle this type of error instead of crashing. Like an option somewhere (not sure what section it would make sense to put it) for ignoring these types of tracks for 2-channel setups.

So, I tried a bit more tinkering (what could really go wrong?) and managed to solve it by using the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -i192.168.0.14:2002

To confirm:

1. the sacd_extract.exe and Extract ISO Via Network.BAT files need to be in the same folder, and no need to have a Programs folder as suspected.

2. the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT should have the following code:

@Echo Off

"sacd_extract.exe" -I -iPS3IPADDRESS:2002

double clicking on the Extract ISO Via Network.BAT file should now run the process and place an ISO in the same folder as the two files above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4540[/ATTACH]

Have you confirmed the quotes around sacd_extract.exe in the .bat file are necessary?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Have you confirmed the quotes around sacd_extract.exe in the .bat file are necessary?

I have just confirmed that...they're not necessary! I just looked at the code in the other BAT files and noticed that the .exe file had "" around them, hence why I used them. Am now running a rip having removed them, and it's running fine. It seems that in the originally supplied code by Ted, there was a $ plus a space before the sacd_extract and it was the $ that seemed to be being questioned when I tried to run it. As I mentioned, I'm doing this with trial and error and a bit of guestimation, so I can't explain why this would be.

but I thought that is what I instruct as well. ?

See above with reference to $.

Sorry, taken word for word from MR Wickeds google page instructions, complete with $ sign. But my guide was very explicit that the network ripper bat needs to be in the parent folder, and needs to be edited to include the PS3IP address. Again, do not get rid of the Programs folder or my true extraction bats (which have worked fine) won't work.

FYI. I will announce, likely tomorrow, a new guide, renamed bats, etc and new streamlined way to get everything required for ripping/extracting/tagging...No more PMs. Yeah!

And just to clarify, I (and I'm sure many more) am/are really grateful for your efforts Ted (you really helped me navigate a minefield of seeming misinformation out there on the intraweb). It would be good to get clarification from others using network ripping, whether they faced similar issues to me, or whether mine was a one off, before you edit your master-guide. Anyone?

Hi Ted and Synfreak,

Great!! Yes of course you are right. The files that couldn't play are those with DST64. But can I ask some further question. Is there any simple way to convert DST64 to DSD64? Or do I need to extract them again from the ripped files ? Thanks.

Most likely they are ...

Depends on how you have extracted these from the ISOs you got from the ripper.

If you run Foobar, you could check the file(s):

- right-clivck on the track

- choose "properties"

- select the properties tab, and look whats stated in the "Codec" column

- it should read "DSD64"

- if it shows DST64, you use DST compressed files ...

edit:

advantage Ted ... again ;-)

Is there any simple way to convert DST64 to DSD64? Or do I need to extract them again from the ripped files ? Thanks.

Not that I know of, so I think you will have to re-extract the files again.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Announcement:

I have redone the SACD Ripping Guide as version 3.0 and included the software dropbox links inside the contents of the Guide. It can be found here (or as this link in the DSD Database Project on Google):

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/1syTPLOlvmMz2ii_IvZx3unLwNRP7oTatKA0bEkwDPJMd0mc0W5nsOUnwyTd4/edit&usd=2&usg=ALhdy29fkTNt6YbFe4ULXa4iLOAxpvLrVw

Looks great Ted!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Some folks may get a blank page when accessing your URL. That's what I got at first. I was able to see the document only after logging into Google. Same behavior in both mobile Safari on my iPad and Safari on my Mac.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi Ted!

Great work as always.

Thank you!

I haven't had a problem seeing the document, and I don't have a google account (using Firefox 19.0 on Win7)

But a "direct" download link wouldn't be bad either ;-)

Cheers

Harald

Announcement:

I have redone the SACD Ripping Guide as version 3.0 and included the software dropbox links inside the contents of the Guide. It can be found here (or as this link in the DSD Database Project on Google):

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/1syTPLOlvmMz2ii_IvZx3unLwNRP7oTatKA0bEkwDPJMd0mc0W5nsOUnwyTd4/edit&usd=2&usg=ALhdy29fkTNt6YbFe4ULXa4iLOAxpvLrVw

I wonder whether this shouldn't be forwarded to the mods to be put at the top of the forum thread, ie in the first post (as is often the case on forum threads where updates to software are made), so that newcomers can immediately find it. Once this thread becomes another few pages long, it will involve reading through many (often out of date) posts to find the relevant post.

If I'm not mistaking you can convert with korg's audiogate for instance

Audiogate does not support DST compressed files. My own $.02 but even if it did DST conversion/decompression the batch processing of ISOs for re-extraction to DSF would be easier and maybe even quicker. With DST the tags are gone, so any fiddling with them would require complete manual tagging. I find the tags with DSF extraction are complete with about 75% of the discs.

Does anyone else experience errors in SACD extraction from time to time? Certain discs either won't rip at all or get hung up midway through. The discs are nearly pristine and they play back flawlessly on the PS3. Specifically having issues with:

-Rachel Podger/Gary Cooper - Mozart: Complete Sonatas for Violin & Piano, Vol. 4 (Channel Classics CCS SA 24607)

-Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (Columbia/Sony CS 65122)

-Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (Columbia/Sony CH 90320)

-Keb Mo - Just Like You (Okeh/Epic ES 67316)

-4 titles on the BIS label

-3 titles on the RCA Living Stereo label

Any ideas?

Does anyone else experience errors in SACD extraction from time to time? Certain discs either won't rip at all or get hung up midway through. The discs are nearly pristine and they play back flawlessly on the PS3. Specifically having issues with:

-Rachel Podger/Gary Cooper - Mozart: Complete Sonatas for Violin & Piano, Vol. 4 (Channel Classics CCS SA 24607)

-Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (Columbia/Sony CS 65122)

-Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (Columbia/Sony CH 90320)

-Keb Mo - Just Like You (Okeh/Epic ES 67316)

-4 titles on the BIS label

-3 titles on the RCA Living Stereo label

Any ideas?

I have all of those ripped AND extracted (you are mixing the terms, you said you have extraction issues, then mention the PS3 ripper). Sometimes the ripper will not go to the next screen (progress bar) but the rip continues. As stated a few posts earlier, just get a USB thumb drive that has a status indicator (usually blinking light) and wait for it to stop its activity.

Any extraction issues on mainly classical extractions is usually due to the previously discussed 256 character path name limitation, which includes folder name(s), ISo name, track names.

Sorry...Ripping issues. No problems with extracting.

Sometimes the ripper won't go to the next screen. I'll follow your suggestion of just letting it do it's thing until HDD status indicator stops blinking.

In other cases, the progress bar will freeze. Every once in a while progress will continue, just extremely slowly. In other cases, it just halts. It halts at the same point when I try again on the same disc. Dirty/scratched disc? Again, these discs are pretty much flawless...a few very minor surface marks here and there.

Thanks!

Sorry...Ripping issues. No problems with extracting.

Sometimes the ripper won't go to the next screen. I'll follow your suggestion of just letting it do it's thing until HDD status indicator stops blinking.

In other cases, the progress bar will freeze. Every once in a while progress will continue, just extremely slowly. In other cases, it just halts. It halts at the same point when I try again on the same disc. Dirty/scratched disc? Again, these discs are pretty much flawless...a few very minor surface marks here and there.

Thanks!

Hmm...I have not had one of my many hundreds of rips halt midstream. What version of ripper are you using? I'm worried its a PS3 issue.