IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Using SACD Ripper version 0.36

Yeah, same disc freezes at same spot every time. I can send the sacd_log file if that may be of any help?

Most of the time I don't run into this problem. I've got 16 rejects out of about 200 total...

Have you tried dropping back to version 30?

Have you tried dropping back to version 30?

I can't seem to find version 30 anywhere. I'd love to try it out, looks like it has worked for at least one other person here.

Also...I just realized that I've been making a mistake: I haven't been joining the 4GB+ split iso's before extracting the stereo dsf's. But, no music seems to be missing from the 5 albums that I've now gone back to check. What am I missing? What do we gain by going back and joining the split iso's and re-extracting?

Also...I just realized that I've been making a mistake: I haven't been joining the 4GB+ split iso's before extracting the stereo dsf's. But, no music seems to be missing from the 5 albums that I've now gone back to check. What am I missing? What do we gain by going back and joining the split iso's and re-extracting?

Most likely these were SACDs which contain a muti-channel ürogramm ("Layer"), too.

So these may have made problems if you had tried to extract the multichannel files.

The stereo ones should be ok.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I can't seem to find version 30 anywhere. I'd love to try it out, looks like it has worked for at least one other person here.

Anyone know where to find older versions of the SACD ripper? And if so, is it worth trying that to solve the problem of certain SACDs not ripping?

Anyone know where to find older versions of the SACD ripper? And if so, is it worth trying that to solve the problem of certain SACDs not ripping?

Yes, you just need to ask! Why do you think I asked about moving back to 30? PM sent.

Hello

This is my first post at CA (but not the last).

First of all, thanks to Mr Wicked and Ted_b for all the work they have done and interresting reading about the capability of the PS3 as a SACD ripper.

At this time I'm waiting for my PS3 fw 2.60 so be sendt. Not easy to find one here in Norway that hasn't been updated, but I found one at last. My main purpose is to extract ISO's and burn them to "SACD-R". I hope my Pioneer DV-575A is capable to play the discs, so I can keep my dearest Genesis SACD's in their boxes.

While I wait for my PS3 I would like to test if the Pioneer can read ISO burned to a DVD-R. Can anyone recomend a (legal) link to ISO samples, or is it possible to burn a DFS-file or another hi-res file to a DVD to get the same result as an burned ISO?

Hello

This is my first post at CA (but not the last).

First of all, thanks to Mr Wicked and Ted_b for all the work they have done and interresting reading about the capability of the PS3 as a SACD ripper.

At this time I'm waiting for my PS3 fw 2.60 so be sendt. Not easy to find one here in Norway that hasn't been updated, but I found one at last. My main purpose is to extract ISO's and burn them to "SACD-R". I hope my Pioneer DV-575A is capable to play the discs, so I can keep my dearest Genesis SACD's in their boxes.

While I wait for my PS3 I would like to test if the Pioneer can read ISO burned to a DVD-R. Can anyone recomend a (legal) link to ISO samples, or is it possible to burn a DFS-file or another hi-res file to a DVD to get the same result as an burned ISO?

Bjorn,

Hi. Here is a list of SACD players capable of playing SACD-R's. Your player is listed in category 2 (after custom firmware).

SACDRCompatiblePlayers - sacd-ripper - A list of SACD-R compatible players. - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

PM me.

Thanks for posting that list Ted. I didn't know this was possible.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Ted, excellent posts. Looking for a PS3 on eBay and have found luck doing the following searches:

Playstation 3 20GB

Playstation 3 3.41

Playstation 3 3.55

The PS3 firmware version history is located here:

PlayStation 3 system software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a rather large SACD collection with some very rare titles (Blues in Orbit, etc.) and can you please send me your latest ripping guide? Noticed, there are some SACD's at bittorrent.com already converted to ISO. KAT.ph has some SACD's as well. And, found some interesting SACD links:

https://wdnqg3ehh3hvalpe.tor2web.org/

Index of /git

PSL1GHT - Lightweight PS3 Homebrew SDK

Though there are keys and software at these links, hopefully the guide has the correct OtherOS++ version to download?

Found the HDMI 4x1 HIFI Switch Toslink Coaxial Stereo Audio V1.3b converter on eBay:

HDMI 4x1 HiFi Switch Toslink Coaxial Stereo Audio V1 3B | eBay

Keep up the great work!

OPPO-95 / Emotiva XPA-2/3 fan

Need some confirmation: Finally found an SACD capable PS3 (CECHB) with old (2.42) firmware and want to rip SACD's to DSF or similar for playback on a Meitner via USB. Have followed the thread and have the helpful instructions on this from others here

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

Do I need to update the PS3 firmware to 3.41 or .55 before beginning?

Is the "how to" download form J Malcom dated 7.04.2011 the latest version?

Best current source for Other OS++, SACD ripper, and the root keys?

Will it be clear during ripping which tracks are multi-channel vs 2 ch (the ones I want)?

many thanks for any hints

-

Please read my guide. It has all you need, including all the tools, firmware, keys, ripper.pkg, extraction links, etc. Do not update your stock PS3 at all!! Let the new hacked firmware do it. Your PS3 then rips ISos (disc images). Your multichannel vs stereo decision is when it comes to extracting DSF files from your ISO (on Windows, preferably, or MAC). I provide all the bat files, etc. Simply click on "extract DST to DSF stereo" bat once you have your targeted ISOs in there. Read it and it will make sense.

Congrats on finding a good PS3.

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

Sorry...Ripping issues. No problems with extracting.

Sometimes the ripper won't go to the next screen. I'll follow your suggestion of just letting it do it's thing until HDD status indicator stops blinking.

In other cases, the progress bar will freeze. Every once in a while progress will continue, just extremely slowly. In other cases, it just halts. It halts at the same point when I try again on the same disc. Dirty/scratched disc? Again, these discs are pretty much flawless...a few very minor surface marks here and there.

Thanks!

I have had this happen with one disc. I"ve ripped about 300 or so. It happened just recently. When I placed my ear, next to the PS3 it was making a ticking sound, like it was having trouble reading the disc or something. Tried a couple of times with this one problem disc until it finally worked. No problems whatsoever with disc after that one. The disc that caused problems was in mint condition.

Dear Ted_b, I am new in this interesting blog, so forgive for the trivial question: where can I find your pdf guide for ripping SACD? Can you help me?

Thank you very much

Paolo

As I've posted a few times now, it's on the DSD database page. But I sent you a PM, regardless. Welcome to CA.

A big thanks to Ted for his kind and generous support and work. Because of his latest downloads and the very generous long term loan of a SACD rip prepared PS3 from an audiophile friend, I have been able to rip about 240 SACDs in my collection and convert them to stereo dsf files and about 85% into multichannel dsf files (those that were multichannel). I have been playing them, but not through a DSD DAC. I am still waiting to get one, preferably multichannel - so I am in the waiting mode. However, A+ automatically converts the dsf files to 176/24 for my BADA USB and BADA DAC2, which sounds quite good. A couple of questions.

1. Has anyone compared the BADA USB + DAC2 with the Mytek 192 for playing DSF files? I might be willing to buy a Mytek 192 just to play the dsf files, while I wait for a great multichannel DSD DAC, if the sound quality is a decent step up from the BADA combo for DSD files. If they are close, then I would wait.

2. I read with interest the comment from Ted about the number of SACD's which come from DSD origins and which do not (all PCM?). Anyway I looked at the cases and discs of my 200+ SACD's and all but 6 show "DSD". So my limited sample, N=240, has 97.5% DSD. Of the six, 1 is Reference Rec, 1 is Chesky, 2 are Sony and 2 are Hannsler Classics. Almost all of the SACD's are classical. The 97.5% looks much higher than what Ted posted. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Larry, thanks for the nice words. Regarding the "DSD" logo, I'm not sure it means much. I have many SACD's that are not native DSD recordings, yet have a DSD logo (Rolling Stones and The Police, for example). I'm not sure why some don't have the logo, since DSD is certainly used in the process.

1. Has anyone compared the BADA USB + DAC2 with the Mytek 192 for playing DSF files? I might be willing to buy a Mytek 192 just to play the dsf files, while I wait for a great multichannel DSD DAC, if the sound quality is a decent step up from the BADA combo for DSD files. If they are close, then I would wait.

Larry you can borrow my Mytek if you'd like. I'll send you a PM.

Ken

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I can only second astrotoy's words of thanks to Ted and Mr_Wicked for all their work.

I just got my SACD-compatible PS3 tonight and had my first SACD ripped within an hour. Very easy setup thanks to the detailed instructions. Now I have work ahead to go through my SACD collection...

My DSD DAC (Chordette QuteHD) is at the office right now, so my first listen is using conversion to 96/24 PCM - the real listening will be tomorrow. I'll see if the QuteHD works as well in DSD as it does in PCM.

As to the DSD logo on SACDs, I do not believe it refers to the method used for initial recording, it just indicates that DSD is used to encode the SACD layer [as if there was another choice :-)]. It is quite unusual for SACDs to describe precisely the recording chain...

Almost all recordings are edited/modified/improved during production, and all that work is essentially done in PCM. DSD is excellent as a storage and distribution technique due to its higher quality than PCM for a given bit rate, but it is often more convenient to do the initial recording in very high quality PCM and convert to DSD as the final production step. Going direct-to-DSD means the only production changes have to done live during the recording process - very challenging.

Of course, corners have been cut and SACDs released from a master that was CD-quality. That is unacceptable. But deriving SACDs from high-quality PCM masters (192/24 or 384/24) is perfectly reasonable in my view. High-quality PCM files are quite large, both for download and for distribution on silver discs. DSD coding is a good tradeoff for now.