IGNORED

Digital only stereo related, cost question

Peter Bomberg

Question

For those of you who's main system is 2 channel and digital only (streaming and local flac files)  have more than 50K of gear what % of your budget went where?

I am curious if your cost is 50% speakers and 40% electronics + 10% cables or ??? mine looks lobsided with 70% main speakers and subs, 20% electronics and 10% cables.

Went through the math last year after I compiled my main system.

Room acoustics - 23.5% (including audiolense, measurement mic…)

cabling - power cords, interconnects...... 2.5%

Power related - dedicated line 20A, power conditioning /surge protectors ...... 5.5%

Speakers and subs - 40%

Gear - DAC, preamp, power amp - 25% (Thanks to Hqplayer, spent $0 on streamer for qobuz)

Tweaks - tubes, USB isolation ...... - 3.5%

image.png.1aa555b0ecd2170fdf43329c7606626e.png

Just saying - no right or wrong here - the result to the owner is the big key.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes!

We all have read about these percentages, and what they "should" be, and we all have our own experience with them. The more systems I hear and own, the more I learn that for myself, the percentages are meaningless. They also get thrown out of whack when components are upgraded at different times. 

I remember a system I had in middle school. $32/ea. Kenwood speakers and Technics receiver and CD player. Huge distortion at high volumes. A cousin told me I needed better speakers (a greater percentage spent on speakers). In the long run, I was able to test a different, much more powerful and better designed, receiver from Yamaha. It made those inexpensive Kenwood speakers sing! Pushed them hard and made the room smell like the MDF of which they were made :~)

More than likely chip board but same adhesive. :D In the 70's, most speakers where chip board.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

In the groovy 70-ies Philips was only dreaming about Compact Disc

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

The cheaper speakers in 1990 were still chip board - depending on where the speakers were from.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 1/16/2024 at 8:46 AM, jcbenten said:

My system is nowhere near $50K...but if I as building one for that budget:

80% Active Speakers

15% Analog TT system (TT + preamp, etc)

5% Streamer/Cables/etc...

KISS system...

I did not realize you could spend $40K on active speakers.  The most expensive I've seen are the B&Ws for about $5K.  Maybe B&O for $10-20K?  But with B&O you are paying a hefty premium for design, so I would not call those audiophile.  Please advise

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

I did not realize you could spend $40K on active speakers.  The most expensive I've seen are the B&Ws for about $5K.  Maybe B&O for $10-20K?  But with B&O you are paying a hefty premium for design, so I would not call those audiophile.  Please advise

I would not call these $90K B&Os "audiophile" either.  They do not succumb to audiophile foibles but are based on solid engineering and acoustical science.  https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

117bo.promo_.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

15 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I would not call these $90K B&Os "audiophile" either.  They do not succumb to audiophile foibles but are based on solid engineering and acoustical science.  https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

117bo.promo_.jpg

They honestly have a great sound. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

One blurb, 12 of the world's most expensive loudspeakers | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com), had these up to $16,000,000 ....CAT – CALIFORNIA AUDIO TECHNOLOGY (calaudiotech.com)

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

14 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

117bo.promo_.jpg

They are gorgeous!  And I would not be at all surprised if they sound great.  When I use the term audiophile, I mean a person who is primarily interested in great sound.  But I do not mean to be classist about it--I think audiophile systems are available for just a few thousand dollars from NAD, Schiit, B&W, used gear, etc; and there are certainly expensive systems that sound meh

On the B&O's--if you're telling me that they perform at about the same level as Wilsons or Magicos that I might drop $80-100K on, then I stand corrected, and acknowledge them as audiophile. 

But if you're telling me they sound only as good as, say, Wilson Sashas that I might buy for $50K, and the other $40K is for their style,  I would say they sound amazing, but that's not really an audiophile product as much as it is a lifestyle product.

4 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I assume the ATCs that Chris cited are great, based on having heard other ATCs and their excellent reputation, and I'll go either way on the B&Os depending on the answer to my question above.

But it's hard to know from the CAT website whether these guys are audiophile or just really high service/price.  I do like that they will travel to my yacht or plane 

6 minutes ago, PeterG said:

On the B&O's--if you're telling me that they perform at about the same level as Wilsons or Magicos that I might drop $80-100K on, then I stand corrected, and acknowledge them as audiophile. 

I cannot argue directly with that point because I have heard the Wilsons and Magicos only at dealers and shows and I have heard the B&Os only at B&O and in my own home.  That said, I definitely preferred the B&Os and, if I were considering a purchase at that level, I would certainly gravitate towards them.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I cannot argue directly with that point because I have heard the Wilsons and Magicos only at dealers and shows and I have heard the B&Os only at B&O and in my own home.  That said, I definitely preferred the B&Os and, if I were considering a purchase at that level, I would certainly gravitate towards them.

That's good enough for me!  Definitely an audiophile product.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I assume the ATCs that Chris cited are great, based on having heard other ATCs and their excellent reputation, and I'll go either way on the B&Os depending on the answer to my question above.

But it's hard to know from the CAT website whether these guys are audiophile or just really high service/price.  I do like that they will travel to my yacht or plane 

Years ago I went to a Home & Garden show and one of the vendors had a pair of large bookshelf speakers by CAT...looked like PA speakers.  They were not playing so have no idea of their sound.  Looked them up and that speaker went for $20K...I stopped looking.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Formulas for how to split your money between HiFi components, and the related concept of how much to spend in absolute terms, are fraught with problems, scientifically speaking.

As a science fanboy I realize that like so many other areas, theories and hypotheses abound but definitive (scientific) conclusions do not follow - instead replaced with belief systems based on many factors.

On what components you spend your money will be strongly influenced by those belief systems - and your tendency to find confirmation in the evidence you seek and opinions proffered

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Just now, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Formulas for how to split your money between HiFi components, and the related concept of how much to spend in absolute terms, are fraught with problems, scientifically speaking.

As a science fanboy I realize that like so many other areas, theories and hypotheses abound but definitive (scientific) conclusions do not follow - instead replaced with belief systems based on many factors.

On what components you spend your money will be strongly influenced by those belief systems - and your tendency to find confirmation in the evidence you seek and opinions proffered

I am aware that, if there is a 'classic' popular wisdom, your formula in the OP is about right - "buy the best speakers you can as they influence the sound the most" and so tilt your budget accordingly.

FWIW, even for someone where whatever belief system remains constant, the split of how the money is divided between components will change per system and over time.

As an impression rather than a generalization , at a certain level of speaker excellence it will be the electronics that needs attention to remove last remnants of a signature sound ie  if overall neutrality is the goal as opposed to compensating one coloration for another

My experience, FWIW, is that once you get into many or most very expensive speakers, better electronics just continue to make them sound better.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Digital Source - 28% (wi-fi extender, switch, computer, software, DAS, endpoint, DAC)

Amplification - 11% (bespoke transistor integrated)

Speakers - 60% (3-way floorstanders)

Cables - 1% (digital, analogue)

Total - $8,550

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 1/19/2024 at 7:14 AM, PeterG said:

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a good selection of active speaker systems above $40K.

The current retail on my SGR MT3.3 actives is $110K here in Australia. (They haven't yet made the web site which still shows the previous 3.2 model.)