IGNORED

Article: Beethoven Symphonies & Ouvertures Heard Like Never Before

Wow, this sounds like an experience I would love. Time to plan Minneapolis Trip #2! 🤓 I listened to the 2ch version on Qobuz and it is a fine recording indeed. 

BTW - just for giggles, take a look at one of the reviews of this Immerseel cycle by David Hurwitz of Classics Today. Review. Ouch! I wonder how he really felt. That said, I find myself disagreeing with David on many recordings, especially historically-informed recordings, to which he seems particularly allergic. I myself love several of Immerseel/Anima Eterna Brugge recordings, including the Schubert/Berwald Octet and Carmina Burana, to name only a couple.

Finally, most music reviews tend to discount the audiophile qualities of a recording. And this is an area where Bert's release of this cycle particularly excels, based on your experience. This is probably a topic all in itself - to what extent do audiophiles favor sound quality over strict musicality in determining favorite recordings. I know for me, sound quality is an important factor, and I make no bones about it.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Wow, this sounds like an experience I would love. Time to plan Minneapolis Trip #2! 🤓 I listened to the 2ch version on Qobuz and it is a fine recording indeed. 

BTW - just for giggles, take a look at one of the reviews of this Immerseel cycle by David Hurwitz of Classics Today. Review. Ouch! I wonder how he really felt. That said, I find myself disagreeing with David on many recordings, especially historically-informed recordings, to which he seems particularly allergic. I myself love several of Immerseel/Anima Eterna Brugge recordings, including the Schubert/Berwald Octet and Carmina Burana, to name only a couple.

Finally, most music reviews tend to discount the audiophile qualities of a recording. And this is an area where Bert's release of this cycle particularly excels, based on your experience. This is probably a topic all in itself - to what extent do audiophiles favor sound quality over strict musicality in determining favorite recordings. I know for me, sound quality is an important factor, and I make no bones about it.

WOW! One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. The very thing that gives me chills is called a “CD from hell.” Some of us like sashimi while others want a well done steak. 

Having no frame of historical reference for this recording was nice because I had no baggage. I had no clue what it’s “supposed” to sound like or how it’s “supposed” to be played. I’m sure connoisseurs have a different take, but perhaps the connoisseurs’ versions are an acquired taste that would turn me off. Who knows. 

I do know that I immediately went for these recordings again this morning. I had to keep listening. I just love them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 hours ago, Apollo said:

I bought the stereo DXD version at the Spirit of Turtle website today

Can you post the link? I'm not finding it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

The All Music reviewer liked it....and commented on the fine sound.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, 3dsoundshop said:

I am interested in purchasing the complete Auro-3D set... Am I missing the option for a complete package price or must each volume be purchased individually?

When you put  1 album in your shopping basket, at the bottom right there is an 'Frequezntly bought Together' area, where a bundle of albums is shown to be bought together.  You can unmark the albums you don't want to purchase.

image.thumb.png.00f8c1148b7716560d06080bbccc6258.png

8 hours ago, Apollo said:

When you put  1 album in your shopping basket, at the bottom right there is an 'Frequezntly bought Together' area, where a bundle of albums is shown to be bought together.  You can unmark the albums you don't want to purchase.

image.thumb.png.00f8c1148b7716560d06080bbccc6258.png

Thanks... Ordering now!

Lumin T2 / Smyth Realiser A16 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC / Raal SR1a > Enhanced LFE by Clark Synthesis Platinum TST429

On 12/1/2023 at 2:28 AM, Kalpesh said:

https://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2011/02/music-and-intelligence/#post/0

to be taken with a grain of salt : I'm a huge Beethoven fan, could live with only the piano sonatas and quatuors to listen to, while I don't even know what a SAT score is

Yeah, more than a grain. The guy supposes that people who listen to classical music are more hardworking and ambitious, as well as more intelligent. 🙄

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Yeah, more than a grain. The guy supposes that people who listen to classical music are more hardworking and ambitious, as well as more intelligent. 🙄

Plus he associates jazz and low SAT scores while other "findings" associate jazz, when non vocal, with high IQ

reminds me of adolescence when asking someone what he or she was listening to was a assessment criteria of the worth of involvement 

37 minutes ago, Kalpesh said:

Plus he associates jazz and low SAT scores while other "findings" associate jazz, when non vocal, with high IQ

reminds me of adolescence when asking someone what he or she was listening to was a assessment criteria of the worth of involvement 

It was 2011 in Kentucky and Obama was president, so an article associating listening to Black musicians with laziness and low intelligence sadly does not shock me.

Edit: BTW, apologies for the OT; if you feel it ought to be removed, please do so.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This is really "junk science". 

Here's one example: 

"However, when Hargreaves and North looked closer, they found that some of these categories overlapped – many fans of classical music were also fans of heavy metal.

“We think, what we think the answer is, that both types of music…have something of the spiritual about them – they’re very dramatic,” said North and Hargreaves in their book, “The Social and Applied Psychology of Music."

In other words, 'our study really doesn't show anything, b/c it is too simplistic to reflect a somewhat more complex reality. So when it is shown not to make sense, we make up explanations that fit our original mistaken conclusions.'

34 minutes ago, Apollo said:

image.thumb.png.5310124dc26724bcb0e042131a2e8cba.png

I bought the DXD 356,4kHz (Stereo) version of this album.

Analyzing it in MusicScope, it looks to me like a DSD128 recording.  Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Dirk

According to Bert it was a DXD recording with a prototype dCS A to D converter. I wish I had MusicScope, I could put the 10 channel version in there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I hadn't realised that Immerseel had recorded a new Beethoven set.

From the photo it looks like minimal miking was used which to me matters more than the format.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 3 weeks later...