IGNORED

Raspberry Pi 5

bobfa

Looks like a nice upgrade.

Is it actually available for order anywhere yet?

Of course, I won't get one at least untill there are some nice "audiophile" cases available. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Faster Pi and all. Good for hobby projects I guess. Curious what you guys would use this for as audiophiles?

My sense is that for a simple 2-channel endpoint the previous versions are more than adequate. These days, I've moved on to low-power MiniPCs (like this) and multichannel HDMI rather than Pi for my audio use given the software available like DSP, potential for HQPlayer, etc...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

5 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Faster Pi and all. Good for hobby projects I guess. Curious what you guys would use this for as audiophiles?

My sense is that for a simple 2-channel endpoint the previous versions are more than adequate. These days, I've moved on to low-power MiniPCs (like this) and multichannel HDMI rather than Pi for my audio use given the software available like DSP, potential for HQPlayer, etc...

There is talk of using it as an HQPlayer embedded machine.

I'm interested in it for 12 channel Ravenna / AES67 audio.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is talk of using it as an HQPlayer embedded machine.

I'm interested in it for 12 channel Ravenna / AES67 audio.

That would be cool! Looking forward to future articles on this. ;-)

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 4 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 11:10 PM, Miska said:

So at the moment, it is not possible to support that on ARM platforms, even if one would want to

@Miska you seem to have experience with the RAVENNA driver. On bitbucket they write: "While the Butler OEM build may be build for multiple architecture (ARM, ARM64, x86, x86_64), the public Butler is built for the x86_64 architecture only"

On the other hand there exists this project which implements a "daemon communicates with the driver [Merging Technologies ALSA RAVENNA/AES67 Driver] for control, configuration and status monitoring". They also test is on a Armbian NanoPi NEO2.
Also audio-linux is using the Merging driver to implement a virtual ALSA audio device on a Raspberry Pi 4 and 5.

I am curious about using AES67 on a Raspberry Pi 5, especially since it brings a Gigabit Ethernet with support of Precision Time Protocol (PTP). I wonder if that is beneficial for lower latencies?

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm doing some really cool stuff on my new Pi 5, and preparing an article for next week. 

Question: Has anyone got a realtime kernel working on the 5?

No, but I am also interested.

I looked into using Yocto since I used it before for an other board. But I don't know if rt linux is supported in that layer.
Anyway, I am looking forward to your article. 

1 hour ago, FilterPunk said:

No, but I am also interested.

I looked into using Yocto since I used it before for an other board. But I don't know if rt linux is supported in that layer.
Anyway, I am looking forward to your article. 

I haven't used Yocto forever. I'm using both the Debian with Desktop, and Ubuntu without desktop on my Pi. I don't think rt kernel is necessary, but I ran into one issue and wanted to try it. I see people have rt working on Pi 4, but I haven't found anything for Pi 5. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

USB and General purpose IO pins (GPIO) on Raspberry Pi 4 is connected directly to SoC, while those of Raspberry Pi 5 is connected to RP1 IO controller (South bridge) connected to SoC. Potentially it may introduces some stability problems https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/rp1-the-silicon-controlling-raspberry-pi-5-i-o-designed-here-at-raspberry-pi/

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin