IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

3 hours ago, Jud said:

"...*sonic* reason...."

Edit: You know Windows has WASAPI exclusive mode, right?

WASAPI doesn't support native DSD. In any case, you could never completely trust Windows not to interfere with the WASAPI driver.  If a DAC came with its own ASIO driver, that always worked better (e.g. the ASIO driver bypasses the Windows mixer),  And iTunes and Windows Media Player did not work in exclusive mode. Worse, Windows Media Player used to (I believe it still does) overwrite your artwork with a thumbnail size pic -- didn't even save the original file.  iTunes didn't even play flac files -- never mind DSD. And no on-the-spot sample rate changes for either.  IIRC, if your routing audio from one app to another, it will not work with WASAPI in exclusive mode (again making sample rate changes problematic).

mQa is dead!

12 hours ago, Jud said:

"Sigma-delta modulation," which is used to convert the file to DSD or other low word length format, is available in Audirvana, HQPlayer, and perhaps other software players. If not done there, it's done in the DAC chip (with the exception of a handful of DACs).

When there's no conversion of a-d or d-a, I loath to call it a "modulator".  Reminds me of a cable modem -- where exactly is the modem?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You work there?

Not that wonderful according to a few recent posts here. 

Sorry Chris you read a few folks who are having issues about the new update.   Out of 300,000 subscribers….there is bound to be a combo of streamers, networks and computers to have a few issues.

I keep a real simple chain, with no network involved short of software updates.  From all the other pathetic software music players I have tried, Roon has literally no competition!

In my 5th year as a subscriber, the combination of Organization, Features for listening, tagging, and finding wonderful new music by way of Roon Radio.   When you add the Roon Community and all the interesting tidbits of info you pick just adds to the music enjoyment.   When you pull up an album….it’s just like back in the day when I bought vinyl and you to hang out in records stores…..All types of info on the artist careers, background and such like liner notes from Albums….there are writers who write about the artist background prior to what ever album you have….. 

I could go on about how I listen to 10X more music than I did using the other players and the ever pathetic iTunes…..I get way more enjoyment and quality music than when I used to waste my time putting vinyl discs on my VPI cleaner, dragging out my lovely alcohol solution…..doing the scrub and vacuum dance then trying to decide …hmm..Whole album or just one cut….sheesh ….Roon is the way for me!

6 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Sorry Chris you read a few folks who are having issues about the new update.   Out of 300,000 subscribers….there is bound to be a combo of streamers, networks and computers to have a few issues.

I keep a real simple chain, with no network involved short of software updates.  From all the other pathetic software music players I have tried, Roon has literally no competition!

In my 5th year as a subscriber, the combination of Organization, Features for listening, tagging, and finding wonderful new music by way of Roon Radio.   When you add the Roon Community and all the interesting tidbits of info you pick just adds to the music enjoyment.   When you pull up an album….it’s just like back in the day when I bought vinyl and you to hang out in records stores…..All types of info on the artist careers, background and such like liner notes from Albums….there are writers who write about the artist background prior to what ever album you have….. 

I could go on about how I listen to 10X more music than I did using the other players and the ever pathetic iTunes…..I get way more enjoyment and quality music than when I used to waste my time putting vinyl discs on my VPI cleaner, dragging out my lovely alcohol solution…..doing the scrub and vacuum dance then trying to decide …hmm..Whole album or just one cut….sheesh ….Roon is the way for me!

No worries. I’m happy that your happy. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

When there's no conversion of a-d or d-a, I loath to call it a "modulator".  Reminds me of a cable modem -- where exactly is the modem?

Heh, I understand, but I'm not the one who named the process. 😀

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

WASAPI doesn't support native DSD. In any case, you could never completely trust Windows not to interfere with the WASAPI driver.  If a DAC came with its own ASIO driver, that always worked better (e.g. the ASIO driver bypasses the Windows mixer),  And iTunes and Windows Media Player did not work in exclusive mode. Worse, Windows Media Player used to (I believe it still does) overwrite your artwork with a thumbnail size pic -- didn't even save the original file.  iTunes didn't even play flac files -- never mind DSD. And no on-the-spot sample rate changes for either.  IIRC, if your routing audio from one app to another, it will not work with WASAPI in exclusive mode (again making sample rate changes problematic).

Do you need to do sample rate changes if you're not worried about being bit perfect?

WASAPI I think you might have to take up with Amir at ASR - I have the impression he headed the team responsible for it.

Interfering with album cover art and not supporting native DSD I completely agree are significant negatives.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Probably named by a software programmer.  You know, the ones who cheapened the title “engineer”.  😒

And before I take the heat for that comment I should note that I knew a few programmers who were friggin' geniuses and also knew some engineers who did nothing more than sell equipment (not that there's anything wrong with that). To me the use of the title is about (publicly) recognized certification and professional accreditation, common body of knowledge, adherence to and accountability for professional standards of practice and ethics, etc., etc.

mQa is dead!

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I will say this after using Audirvana Studio for a little bit and poking around the app, those of you writing it off without even seeing/trying it, may want to reconsider. This is a vastly different app and has features that no other app at any price offers. 

Agree! I will certainly try it and then make a decision.

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know your glass for anything other than Roon is half empty, but please hold off on the cynicism until the new Audirvana Studio is actually released. 

You are starting to sound like Timmy's Apple....you can say anything you want...you know Free Speech....unless it wrinkles the feathers of the site owner.  Cynicism ???    Really??  Just stating the facts!

For me: three alternatives: I will go for the Studio version, stay with Audirvana 3.5 for the time being, or I will go back to the all new Pure Music’s version, see….http://www.channld.com/news.html. This because I am still an Apple Music user. My reasons: I have already internet radio with my Yamaha streamer NPS-303. This Streamer is also functional as an audio bridge to my Chord Qutest DAC.

1 minute ago, jos said:

For me: three alternatives: I will go for the Studio version, stay with Audirvana 3.5 for the time being, or I will go back to the all new Pure Music’s version, see….http://www.channld.com/news.html. This because I am still an Apple Music user. My reasons: I have already internet radio with my Yamaha streamer NPS-303. This Streamer is also functional as an audio bridge to my Chord Qutest DAC.

In addition: I don’t need Tidal or any other streaming service because of my own library.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

It's OK for you  to say that Roon has Customers that are "Not that wonderful according to a few recent posts here."   and that's not cynicism?

Chris are you vested in Audirvana?

Every company/developer would like a slice of my reoccurring income instead of pricing their products to account for development / service costs.

The problem with the “product as a service” subscription model is it’s designed to maximize the benefit to the producer - once you stop paying you no longer have access. Therefore, I have little control over the value decision if/when I decide to invest in paid upgrades. As a consumer, subscriptions reduce my discretionary income and therefore my choices - stop paying, stop listening.

The way things are going there may come a day when I cannot listen to music either because I didn’t pay for a music subscription or a software player.

Frankly, for the price of the paid version I thought Damien was giving it away but I will not upgrade on principal. Unless you’re my utility, phone or insurance company I’m not spending a cent on monthly subscriptions and enjoy my life instead in the physical world.

19 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

It's OK for you  to say that Roon has Customers that are "Not that wonderful according to a few recent posts here."   and that's not cynicism?

Chris are you vested in Audirvana?

You're deliberately mischaracterizing what Chris said. He said some customers felt the new version of Roon wasn't wonderful. He never criticized Roon customers, as your feeble attempt at propaganda would have it.

Don't you suppose that when you find yourself in a thread that doesn't have to do with your preferred software and find yourself having to lie in order to try to make a point, that it's time to give it a rest for a little while?

I agree 100% about subscriptions ...I am so sick of seemingly everyone wants reoccurring monthly income...we all do....but it has gone way overboard.  My damn Hewlett Packard printer wants to be able to charge me a Monthly subscription ....just to get their Inks at a better price than Amazon????   WTH?   I'll be damned if they don't monitor EVERY PAGE I print???   Can we say Data Rape?   

So I totally understand both the need and desire to get paid monthly but also the disdain of acquiring more monthly commitments.

I paid $500 for a Lifetime membership to Roon and I justified it as buying another component that brings joy into my life. 

5 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Jud....I thought you were better than that....Propaganda???   Lies?????...Wow...Not even close!!!!!!!

Nope, I'm worse than that. For the first time in a long time, someone makes my ignore list.