IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

8 hours ago, arlese said:

The value proposition of streaming is abundance - it’s the same argument sold to music distributors, you have catalogs of music you are not monetizing, make it abundant and now it’s easier to justify the value proposition.

Traditional radio is/was the place for music discovery for most people, then friends and music stores. This has been supplanted largely by streaming services so I understand their place.

However, some of us like what we like already having gone through that journey - I’m at the place where if I hear a new artist all I can hear is how it sounds like something or someone I’ve already heard. I think it’s probably the normal course of aging but I don’t need to stream because I like my curated collection of music that I own. I used to have 40+ bottles of whiskey but now I have 3 or 4 of my favourites and don’t care much to explore further - however every now and again something worthy of attention happens and while I may be late, I’m still open to the idea that people can find ways to innovate and improve on our experience- I just don’t have the time anymore to investigate every hot thing and let it come to me.

I agree with you about the whiskey, but discovery of great new artists is something I live for. I have very eclectic tastes, so they can be in almost any genre. "Easy listening" is about the only thing hard for me to listen to. 🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

Very intrigued by this. Audirvana has been my main player for years. What I can't find on the website, though, is more about the playback and system optimization options. Are "Direct" and "Integer" mode still things? If not, what's replacing them? Would love to hear more. 

Direct Mode is still available through a hack, since Apple hasn't seen fit to bless it, and I haven't heard that integer mode is not still a thing. There's also a new upsampler option.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Integer mode works over UPnP from my M1 mini to a Pi4. Audirvana says it does, I guess I should qualify that statement.

But will it in Studio? I haven't heard it won't, but wasn't able to watch the entire video to catch if anything was said about it.

it is still working in Audirvana Studio...

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.49.46 PM.png

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but how do you connect Audirvana running on a remote computer to a DAC that only has a USB input? I am currently using Roon with HQPlayer that streams over my network to a small computer (UP Atom) running Linux HQplayer NAA with USB out to my DAC. What software do I load on my small computer to act as the DLNA receiver? I thought it would be simple to google the answer but I can't  find a clear answer. I can load Windows 10 on the Atom but that seems like way overboard for such a simple function and think I prefer a Linux solution for simplicities sake. I'm happy with my current setup but as always, curious to try what many say is a better player.

thanks

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

3 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but how do you connect Audirvana running on a remote computer to a DAC that only has a USB input? I am currently using Roon with HQPlayer that streams over my network to a small computer (UP Atom) running Linux HQplayer NAA with USB out to my DAC. What software do I load on my small computer to act as the DLNA receiver? I thought it would be simple to google the answer but I can't  find a clear answer. I can load Windows 10 on the Atom but that seems like way overboard for such a simple function and think I prefer a Linux solution for simplicities sake. I'm happy with my current setup but as always, curious to try what many say is a better player.

thanks

A raspberry Pi4 running RopieeXL. RopieeXL also has an NAA function.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 11.01.12 PM.png

No electron left behind.

17 minutes ago, bbosler said:

but looking for software to run on my Atom, not buy a Pi4

thanks

upmpdcli .  But perhaps not trivial.

21 minutes ago, bbosler said:

but looking for software to run on my Atom, not buy a Pi4

thanks

Know you said you weren't looking for another computer, but if you didn't feel like installing and configuring upmpdcli, you could get it pre-configured (and switchable via a web GUI back and forth with NAA and a couple of other streaming utilities) in a microRendu for $400 without power supply, if you have a 7v supply around. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

Know you said you weren't looking for another computer, but if you didn't feel like installing and configuring upmpdcli, you could get it pre-configured (and switchable via a web GUI back and forth with NAA and a couple of other streaming utilities) in a microRendu for $400 without power supply, if you have a 7v supply around

thanks, looks like a viable option

I have similar question that @bbosler had.  I currently use dedicated Linux server with internal storage that run roon core.  I have a high end wkst (server2019) that runs HQP which then sends to my OR endpoint (via optical from network rack) then USB to DAC.

I could never get 3.5 to work, it never saw my OR (in DNLA mode, if I recall).  I asked the question here as well but no one ever chimed in.

I would really like to try Studio when its is available, any suggestions on how to get it to work in my config would be greatly appreciated.

My rig

I'm on High Sierra too, NO Direct Mode.

Did you do the Hack?

If so, you're no longer stuck on High Sierra, if wanted to upgrade Computer.

But if not, No Direct Mode, which I find to VERY annoying.

It was a MAJOR selling point for me.

Has this been addressed on the M1 Version?

35 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Were you a beta tester?

yes

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

RunHomeSlow, does Studio allow grouping zones like Roon does?

I'm listening to music  from multiple Bluesound speakers around my house playing the same thing. I think losing that ability would be a non-starter for me.

I looked around but there is surprising little information. I can't even find a user manual for the current version of Audirvana

thanks

Sorry, i can’t really talk as promise as a beta tester. You’ll have 30 days free for testing in a couple of hours 😀

Has the lack of browsing/searching by file name/structure been implemented in Studio, long requested in vain? If not then it is finally time to move on and find an alternative to Audirvana. It has been frustrating working around it for years, and despite @damien78once acknowledging that he understood the problem leading to the request, nothing has ever been done to implement this simplest of requests.

As for subscription, it would be better to offer a lifetime option, as subscription is a bitter pill to swallow for people who don’t see merit in subscribing to online streaming services but prefer to have their own secure collection.

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

8 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I'm on High Sierra too, NO Direct Mode.

Did you do the Hack?

If so, you're no longer stuck on High Sierra, if wanted to upgrade Computer.

But if not, No Direct Mode, which I find to VERY annoying.

It was a MAJOR selling point for me.

Has this been addressed on the M1 Version?

Apple has not permitted Direct Mode as a driver for MacOS on the M1, no.  (The OS is the same for Apple Silicon as for Intel, and that will be the case for a long while.)  Again, if you want Direct Mode without requiring the hack, tell Apple.

3 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Has the lack of browsing/searching by file name/structure been implemented in Studio, long requested in vain? If not then it is finally time to move on and find an alternative to Audirvana. It has been frustrating working around it for years, and despite @damien78once acknowledging that he understood the problem leading to the request, nothing has ever been done to implement this simplest of requests.

I work around this by using Audio File Location as the first listing criterion for both tracks and albums.  Both are then shown in alphanumeric order in accordance with my file structure.

9 hours ago, Foggie said:

I have similar question that @bbosler had.  I currently use dedicated Linux server with internal storage that run roon core.  I have a high end wkst (server2019) that runs HQP which then sends to my OR endpoint (via optical from network rack) then USB to DAC.

I could never get 3.5 to work, it never saw my OR (in DNLA mode, if I recall).  I asked the question here as well but no one ever chimed in.

I would really like to try Studio when its is available, any suggestions on how to get it to work in my config would be greatly appreciated.

Same answer.  Unless you wish to install and configure upmpdcli for yourself on your Linux machine (or try GentooPlayer or another UPnP/DLNA renderer and see if it works), then you can buy and use a microRendu for both HQP/NAA and Audirvana/UPnP/DLNA, switching between the two with a convenient web GUI.  The web GUI can be accessed from a smartphone browser, so you can switch back and forth from your listening position if you wish. Edit: I see you have an Optical Rendu.  Just use that, it has the same web GUI built in as the microRendu.