IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

I guess we will have to get used (if we weren't already) to the subscription model: Apple Music, Qobuz, Lightroom/Photoshop, Netflix, internet provider, telephony provider, etc. etc.

But paying for an update every other year amounts to about the same kind of money. Software you 'own' is outdated in a few years, so you are forced to renew from time to time anyhow.

For me counts which program delivers first and foremost the best audio quality, is stable and user friendly. The last time we did a comparison Audirvana won hands down from an audio quality point of view. For me it is/was a very stable program the last years with a reasonable large music collection and the user interface is good enough.

So, until some better sounding software comes along I'll stay with Audirvana. 

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

nope 2!

purchased Roon lifetime 3 days after starting the free trial. was 5 years ago so... ;)

You do realize that if you paid for Audirvana as a subscription on the day you "purchased" Roon, you still wouldn't even be close to spending as much on Audirvana as you have on Roon right?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Roon lifetime $500.  HQPlayer license $245. That's about 11 years' subscription for those upgrading from 3.5, several years longer if HQPlayer undergoes a version upgrade in the next 11 years (reasonable possibility). And if Roon eliminates the lifetime subscription (which most products do after an initial period to build up capital), Audirvana is always less.

I didn't say or imply that Audirvana subscription costs as much as Roon.
I am merely saying that it would have been sensible to have lifetime option, especially for the existing license holders/users.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

At this rate, software will be more devalued than streaming music :~)

Not sure which one you compare to but Quboz and HRA cost more than $3.49 USD, not to mention value to listen to their entire hires streaming collection for whole month is more value for both music lovers and audiophiles.

Regards,

Keetakawee

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

6 minutes ago, jos said:

Perhaps I will keep version 3.5 for years to come, because it’s free of charge, I think. Is that possible? 

Of course, I will do the same if I use Qobuz.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, Windows X said:

Not sure which one you compare to but Quboz and HRA cost more than $3.49 USD, not to mention value to listen to their entire hires streaming collection for whole month is more value for both music lovers and audiophiles.

Regards,

Keetakawee

I have and love Qobuz. My computer is in my office and my system is in my living room. Without Audirvana I would have to wait until Qobuz developed reliable UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome streaming from their app to listen to the subscription I am paying for, and that is without any consideration of sound quality.

So it is Audirvana that allows me to get value from my Qobuz subscription.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I understand the need for the subscription model but it still turns me off.

IMO, a streaming service like Qobuz should offer some of the basic features that the third party (Audirvana or Roon) apps do in its native desktop software and mobile apps. The ability to use a control point, volume leveling and the ability to sort (focus) and create smart playlist based on the favorites in your library would be a good start. Imagine Qobuz and Roon/Audirvana merged to form one service. One subscription.

I'll trial Audirvana Studio and if it does what I need for less than Roon I'll subscribe but, ultimately I want to eliminate these third party apps all together.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Spotify's lossless tier.