IGNORED

Denafrips Pontus II vs Chord Qutest impressions (as well as the Denafrips Ares II)

2 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

@Calvin & Hobbesdid you ever try your Qutest with a good optical feed?  I switched over from USB a few weeks ago, with a cheap Chinese converter no less, and the improvement in SQ has been game-changing in my system.  I hate to say it, but from my experience in my system all tests/comparisons of Qutest are off unless we're talking about using it this way. 

I'm curious what you are using?

The PGGB thread is recommending this, a USB to dual coax hybrid for DX mode (768 support) with Chord. Not cheap at $495

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/src-dx

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

@Calvin & Hobbesdid you ever try your Qutest with a good optical feed?  I switched over from USB a few weeks ago, with a cheap Chinese converter no less, and the improvement in SQ has been game-changing in my system.  I hate to say it, but from my experience in my system all tests/comparisons of Qutest are off unless we're talking about using it this way. 

@OldBigEars In what ways did the optical feed change the SQ of your Qutest? I did not try the Qutest with an optical feed.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:39 AM, matthias said:

Thank you for sharing your listening impressions. I appreciate very much that you value musicality over audiophile aspects.

Your quote is awesome (why they're on stage, not where...) - I wish I had thought of that!!!  1,000%

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

10 hours ago, Calvin & Hobbes said:

@OldBigEars In what ways did the optical feed change the SQ of your Qutest? I did not try the Qutest with an optical feed.

Before replying I actually did a quick back-and-forth between USB and Optical just to make sure I wasn't suffering from some kind of delusion...these things can easily happen with hifi :)  But no, I'm not losing my marbles (thankfully).  My setup sounds almost like two different systems, the difference is so obvious and substantial.  In short, the optical input provides a bigger, richer, more textured and (yes) more analog sound than USB. Substitute your favorite adjective for 'more musically engaging'. My USB cable is a Curious Evolved link from my EtherRegen. But when connected to my cheap converter, and that in turn is linked to the Qutest via an ordinary AQ Cinnamon optical cable - a major transformation happens.  For example, the white filter is now my default - whereas with USB I'm an orange kind of guy.  Hope this helps....

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

2 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

But when connected to my cheap converter, and that in turn is linked to the Qutest via an ordinary AQ Cinnamon optical cable - a major transformation happens.  

May I ask which cheap converter do you use?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:32 AM, OldBigEars said:

I bought the Douk Audio U2 Pro...typically around $56.  Too cheap to work, right?  Apparently not, if my ears don't deceive me.  And the kicker is that it works better USB powered than when I tried an iPower X 5V PS.  Not saying you couldn't try a Farad etc if you wish.  And of course I haven't compared the Douk to a higher class DDC such as one of the Denafrip models, or the Audiowise product that feeds dual BNC into the Qutest. For all I know, these are even better.  But I can confirm that I wouldn't go back to USB after using the simple, inexpensive Douk converter. They do not sound alike.

Alas, like many other things from China out of stock in the US. While I loved the USB to SPDIF improvement of the IRIS, in the end its 192K coax output limit didn't help me with

PGGB up sampled files. The Douk site is confusing, say the device supports 384K but then says SPDIF out is limited to 192k. Have you been able to use the SPDIF output for rates faster than 192k?

I also see that Douk offers 3 clock options -standard Crystal Oscillator/ Temperature-compensation Crystal Oscillator / Femtosecond Crystal Oscillator

Douk pro device

Getting back on topic, I've settled into using the Ares II in preference to the Mojo for its superior midrange textures and because of that I ended up going back

to Microzotl 2 for pre because the two enhance each other. The Mojo remains better for low bass/dynamics but its more likely to bite the hand that feeds it in the treble

than the Ares II is

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:02 PM, davide256 said:

So heard back from Douk, the Douk Pro device is limited to 192k for SPDIF out.

Yup 192K max for the Douk.  Not an issue for me, but this may be a drawback for some folks.  I'm curious of course to know how much improvement the optional upgraded clocks would deliver to the Douk (if any). 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 1 month later...

So after having the Ares II and Chord Mojo since June I ended up selling the Ares. I really liked the mid range of the Ares but on up-sampled music with polyphonic chords it aggravated me with a false harmonic on both USB and spdif, which the Mojo did not do. Have since acquired an SRC-DX DDC which is making the gap between 384/768 PGGB up-sampled files less noticeable using the Mojo spdif input. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

22 hours ago, al2813 said:

For those of you who tried the Qutest. Have you tried combining with a truly high end linear power supply? 

Depends on one's definition of 'truly high end'.  I just upgraded from an iPower X to an SBooster / Ultra 11 and the improvement is stark.  No doubt you could take it further with a more exotic PS.  Someone here mentioned that the Qutest + Sean Jacobs' PS is quite special.  My advice is to avoid using the USB, and also upgrade the PS at least to SBooster level.  But keeping the total cost in mind, the Qutest with these upgrades would need to rival the Denafrips Venus, rather than the Pontus.

1 minute ago, OldBigEars said:

Depends on one's definition of 'truly high end'.  I just upgraded from an iPower X to an SBooster / Ultra 11 and the improvement is stark.  No doubt you could take it further with a more exotic PS.  Someone here mentioned that the Qutest + Sean Jacobs' PS is quite special.  My advice is to avoid using the USB, and also upgrade the PS at least to SBooster level.  But keeping the total cost in mind, the Qutest with these upgrades would need to rival the Denafrips Venus, rather than the Pontus.

I've run the Qutest with a battery though not a truly high end linear power supply. I think the main difference that I heard between the Pontus and the Qutest is the nature of the sound. The Denafrips DACs sound more organic in nature while the Qutest has a more artificially Technicolor type of presentation. My guess is that a better power supply would not change that aspect of sound quality for the Qutest.

16 minutes ago, Calvin & Hobbes said:

I've run the Qutest with a battery though not a truly high end linear power supply. I think the main difference that I heard between the Pontus and the Qutest is the nature of the sound. The Denafrips DACs sound more organic in nature while the Qutest has a more artificially Technicolor type of presentation. My guess is that a better power supply would not change that aspect of sound quality for the Qutest.

While the Denafrips Ares II isn't truly NOS it got closer to the mid range solidity of a Metrum Octave than the Chord Mojo did. Have been reading up on other reviews, most concur that Chords forte is hyper resolution, but instrument timbre can lose out to something like a Denafrips or Holo DAC.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, Calvin & Hobbes said:

My experience is that is does. And using the Optical input instead of USB, even more so. You end up retaining the 'hyper detail' of the Qutest but adding a whole heap of musicality.  I won't try to guess how it compares to Denafrips Pontus or Venus but I can safely say it has improved my Qutest experience beyond belief.

• 2 months later...

hi Alvin
the Pontus II has a remarkable level of construction!
congratulations 👏
it could be my next upgrade ..
what substantial differences compared to the first version?

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

• 8 months later...

Have you tried or heard the Gustard R26? Just asking.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, Calvin & Hobbes said:

Well, I listened to a $14.5k dCS Bartok this summer because I was interested in exploring where I might go in improving on the sound quality of my Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra streamer/Denafrips Pontus II digital front end.

While the dCS Bartok sounded good, my gut reaction was surprisingly that I preferred the sound of the Pro-ject streamer/Denafrips Pontus II for the acoustic music that I typically prefer. The tonal quality seemed better conveyed with my own system and there was a sense of realism and richness that seemed better via my system. Coming home and listening to my own systems didn't change this impression.

Hello,

Are you satisfied with the Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra streamer?

Im looking some streamer for my Ares II dac.

regards,
Simon

I really like the Pro-ject streamer. Sound quality seems quite good. It's probably not as easy to use from an ergonomic standpoint as the Bluesound Node (which I have never used), but my understanding is the sound quality is better. The Volumio software is decent. It's not as slick as Roon, but works decently well (especially compared to some proprietary software that I've tried). Sound quality via Volumio seems pretty good. (The newer versions of Roon are said to have a negative impact on sound quality).

Another streamer to consider is the Volumio Rivo, which also sounds quite nice.

I found Volumio 3 slow as dirt, it also has a limit on library size. I was using a Ryzen 9 4900h mini-PC with 16 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 12/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, Calvin & Hobbes said:

I haven't, but I'm happy enough with the Pontus that I'm not that interested in exerting the effort to try out new DACs at this time.

Great to hear the positive experience you’ve had with the Pontus II and Pro-Ject Streamer. 

I’m currently using an iFi streamer with the Pontus II and am also very happy.

Curious, are you running a USB or Coax from your steamer to DAC? And anything like a DDC in-between? (I’m using an Acoustic Zen coax with great results, but am curious to try USB if only I could decide on a gif USB cable!) 

And have you done much experimenting with NOS/OS Fast/Slow? (I’m using NOS/Slow)

ps. I haven’t found any SQ issues with newer versions of Roon. Just need to get the settings right.

pps. I’ve heard from other Pontus II owners that they’ve gotten a decent boost in performance when using the XLR outputs, fwiw.