IGNORED

John Swenson tutoring paper: "Considerations regarding usage of external reference clocks" (EtherREGEN and other): Sine vs. square, impedance, cables—and a money saving surprise at the end.

52 minutes ago, GMG said:

It will. It's down a little more right at 10MHz (compared the 11MHz lowpass of the Mini-Circuits) but that should not be any problem.  It is quite a steep filter. I thought the Crystek  one was going to be a lot more expensive and a custom order item, but I see that Digikey has a few in stock for just $37 each.  

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Do you think changing some parameters in the EtherRegen SW can be beneficial when using an external 10 MHz clock ?

No. None at all.  The clock synthesizer already receives correct and optimized programming code for a 10MHz clock when the EtherREGEN is set to run from an external clock.

Other than being more precisely referenced, the 4 differential clock output lines from the synthesizer (two at 25MHz and two at 250MHz to run our special reclocking flops) are exactly the same as far as the rest of the functioning of the switch goes. Nothing to change.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

"Just remember that the best possible result is still going to be using a square wave clock box with a REALLY good sine to square convertor, everything being just right inside the box—and you use a really low-attenuation-with-frequency cable."

42 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I can only say that sine with the filter sounds better than square with my BG7TBL clock.  Same (good) cables.

Not just a bit better - it's quite noticeable.

There is nothing inconsistent between the above since as John’s examination of the BG7TBL’s circuits revealed, it does not at all qualify as having a “really good sine-square converter.”  It is actually quite poor in that regard. On the opposite side of the solar system in comparison to a Mutec REF10 for square wave performance.

Plus with the filter you don’t even have to sweat the cable quality (low attenuation for square; super shielding for sine). 9_9

Hence the sine output with filter is the way to go with this inexpensive clock. Heck, I bet the filter on the “squarish” wave output of BG7TBL is better than without even for those versions.

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Can you specify the names of those two chips?

The Linear Tech LTC6957 is state of the art for that.

29 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

What criterion (indicator) do you use to assess the quality of the conversion of sine to square? On what basis do you draw this conclusion about the quality of the conversion of sine-square to BG7TBL and Mutec? Based on product schematics analysis, measurement analysis (which?) or something else? Have any measurements of BG7TBL been taken in order to infer extremely low quality of square wave at the output of the clock?

Yes, John analyzed the circuits of the BG7BTL unit I sent him, gave details of his findings publicly, and also made measurements at various places in the circuit.  Someone else here published the nasty-looking square wave output of it as well. It really would have been better if the BG7TBL guy just installed those reclaimed OCXOs on a plain board with nearly no circuitry. (That's about what AfterDark does, but with new-old-stock CTS clocks which they grade with their Symmetricom.)

The Mutec REF10 is in an entirely other league.

• 2 months later...