IGNORED

Good Inexpensive USB Cables?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've ordered the new Supra USB Excalibur a few days ago and i am very excited about it :cool:

This could be a very good deal. 

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-excalibur-a-b-1001909017

I own various USB cables in the past:

• Van den Hul Ultimate USB
  • Audioquest Carbon, Cinnamon
  • Phasure Lush
  • Cardas
  • Kimber

But to be totally honest. I couldn't really notice any significant differene between all of these cables. If i had to choose one cable it would be the Phasure Lush.

• 4 months later...

i own a speakers, neumann 310a studio monitor.
Supra Excalibur USB is much better than standard supra cable
very open sound, midrange and treble, and 3d sound
neumann 310a studio monitor, reveals everything in the sound, from Supra Excalibur USB.
the sound may be, a little raw to begin with, but after 50 hours, playing time it all falls into place.
the cable gets better the more hours you play
i play old motown hits where 5% distortion in the treble,
treble is better, on motown hits with Supra Excalibur USB .
run sacd from laptop that much bonus, Supra Excalibur USB
especially the treble.
that is, Supra Excalibur USB is among the best usb cables
$ 800 that other usb cables cost
Supra Excalibur USB do well
and only $ 150 for 3meters or 10foot

sorry my bad english

google translate

I have a short and a long dual-head Ghent Audio USB cable and find both sound excellent. Admittedly, I have not had anything "better" than these. So I'm not saying they are the best, just that for the money I spent (not much), I'm happy. Shipping takes awhile though, they are made to order and ship from China.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

• 2 weeks later...

Setting aside some of the off-topic banter, this site's best usb cable resource:

Might take some digging but just want to be sure the OP is aware of the thread.

I always thought the Mapleshade USB cable was good for the price.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know if Bill Dion (Grannyring at Audiogon) still is making cables, but the Double Smoked USB from Acoustic BBQ, previously available at Audiogon, has been, in my system, notably better than others I tried: Curious, Lush, Morrow, Black Cat Silverstar, LH Labs Lightspeed Jr., and Oyaide NEO A+.  It bettered them in almost every single way I could describe, so I won’t bore you with my catalog of superlatives, but I think these can be effective in systems far more expensive than mine.  I paid $195 new in January 2020.  The cable still is in my system and I am not tempted to change at all.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is a $500 USB cable inexpensive when you can have a regular USB cable for $5 - 10!!!

When it comes to usb, my view is that galvanic isolation and keeping the connection to shortest possible and properly shielded are key.

You can get a 10-15cm shielded usb cable (Ghent audio makes excellent shielded usb cable for <$20) to connect to the dac.

You can perhaps get a intona usb galvanic isolator (if you experience ground loop/noise). That would still be way under $500

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 9:48 PM, dericchan1 said:

You can get a 10-15cm shielded usb cable (Ghent audio makes excellent shielded usb cable for <$20) to connect to the dac.

You can perhaps get a intona usb galvanic isolator (if you experience ground loop/noise). That would still be way under $500

ghent audio seems to be making usb cables that are totally off-spec, they use a starquad wire ??? where is the twisted digital 90 ohm impedance pair in that?

8 minutes ago, Ghoostknight said:

ghent audio seems to be making usb cables that are totally off-spec, they use a starquad wire ??? where is the twisted digital 90 ohm impedance pair in that?

They have regular shielded usb cables as well, tried both and compared to my Supra usb cable, can’t tell any differences.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, Kimo said:

Oyaide Neo+ Class A is my default recommendation for around 60.00 for 1 meter.  

I am going to give the new Supra Excalibur a try.  The older cheaper model had a rather warmish sound compared with many others, but I understand that the new one is a big upgrade and basically neutral.  

I also use Oyaide Neo + Class A. Good cable.

a usb cable gets better
first for the laptop is the power
disconnect the power from the laptop on usb
i use idefender with power supply using xpower 5volt
the usb port is very noisy on the power
jitter is another thing, but most dac have -140db in jitter, it can not hear.
Audiophile Crystal Oscillator clock .if it is bad above 200fs.
it does not work. very expensive usb cable.
Accusilicon AS318 has 88fs which is used in many dac.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, doitttt said:

supra  Supra Excalibur, are good sounding.

beat 400 dollars usbkabel

Hi everyone, been using the Ghent audio starquad USB cables from RPI4 to Intona industrial version then to my DAC. This is for a 2.1 set up. Sounds really great to my ears.

I still remain skeptical about whether USB cables will indeed make a difference/improvement to the sound but actually saw this review and decided to bite the bullet and ordered a 1M Supra excalibur cable to prove my doubt, which should be arriving in 10 days.

So noisy end between RPI4 to Intona still with Ghent audio starquad but the clean end between intona out to DAC will be with a Supra excalibur cable.

Will report back upon receipt and initial impression.

Cheers

Deric