IGNORED

Teac UD-701N with newly-developed ΔΣ discrete DAC

• granosalis changed the title to Teac UD-701N with newly-developed ΔΣ discrete DAC

DSD signals are transmitted as is, while PCM signals are transmitted after passing through a ΔΣ modulator and conversion to 1-bit signals.

Sounds promising, allows feeding it with DSD data if one prefers to bypass processing and have just D/A conversion.

I think I need to get one!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Not very promising at all for a whopping 348,000 yen, their NT-505 turned out to be more like a disappointment with all kinda networking-related issues but not sure if that were just a matter of lousy QC or something?

https://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001011147/SortID=22967606/

修理内容としては基板交換とのことでした。

https://post76.hk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=316432&page=1#pid4730197

我試過呢個情況, NT-505內網絡組件毀損需要更換不要等待去大昌修理吧
零件大約2-3K需時大約1個月

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=135120&page=1#pid3054308

今日拎左去大昌 , 收$550 檢查費 , 換 Lan 板 報價$2000

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/teac-nt-505-impossible-connecting-to-wifi-router-o-such-lan-help-me-pl

As reported by distributor, there are a lot of devices dead on arrival.
He told me often the Ether card is not connect properly to main board or it's defective.

I'll pay the $369 (although I don't feel I should have to pay 100%) plus shipping to fix it.. and then replace it with a dual ak4499 streamer if that ever happens!

@wklie are you guys the ODM of UD-701N again? Thank you.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Sounds promising, allows feeding it with DSD data if one prefers to bypass processing and have just D/A conversion.

I think I need to get one!

Please get one and let us know what you think. :)))

If you give it thumbs up then I could seriously consider it an option since it is an all-in-one DAC.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

10 hours ago, granosalis said:

348.000 yen about  2675€ without taxes

Sorry, my bad, I thought I had seen that price tag of €1,400 somewhere.
Thanks for the correct info on the price, but I must say that a price tag of €2,675 still makes it very good value, especially if it is as good as the specs suggest. 

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

It seems obvious that this new design is somehow derived from the research and development department that contributed to the creation of the recent Esoteric hi-end DAC.  There are also similarities about bulk pet technology, which seems to be used only by Teac (Esoteric) and Luxman. Do you know if there's any connection/collaboration ?

Just looked at the spec and it seems that the streamer has been upgraded as well. The NT-505 which I have only does DSD128 over ethernet but DSD512 over USB. The UD-701 does DSD512 over Ethernet. So maybe the USB port has also got an upgrade.

Hope someone gets one and try it with HQPlayer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 10:49 PM, Cable Monkey said:

This device is now on the Teac EU site slated for availability in 2-3 weeks. Full price looks like €3498.98 which would be about right when factoring in costs over the price in ¥en. 

Price is now EUR 3699.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, mantis07 said:

At about 50 hours the 707 continues to improve. The 707 was really good right out of the box. I'm surprised at the sound quality actually based on you get what you pay for thinking.. I've owned a few DACS in the past 2 years and the 707 is right there with all of them and already better than most. These are what I remember in chronological order starting with oldest: PS Audio Direct Stream, Teac NT505, Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3, Waversa DAC3 MK2(ethernet), COS Engineering D1, Bricasti M3 MDX/ethernet, Cary DMS700 ethernet, Bricasti M1-SE MDX V2.0/ethernet, Eden Acoustics Tomei with built-in DAC (AKM), Rockna Wavelight. Maybe a couple others I forgot. I have 2 systems and had 2 of mentioned DACS usually at the same time.

Based on whats inside of the the 701 I would venture to guess the full "burn-in" would take about 400-500 hours. I had been waiting for its release for almost a year, but Black Friday came and I ve bought the 1704 BB  based SMSL D3, but still considering getting the 701. Would appreciate your detailed updates in the future! Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I was surprised to stumble upon this dormant thread, especially as there was a lot of buzz in a newer thread about the same DAC. 

I bought the UD701 six months ago. I don't claim technical knowledge, but for me I love the analogue volume control, DSD256 via Audirvana sounds great, and the internal streamer is at least good as any reasonably priced external streamer. If only dealing with PCM files, I'm not so sure that UD701 is a noticeable step up from, say, my RME ADI, but for my above-described use purposes it's ideal. 

But I wonder what happened to all the interest. Somehow this DAC doesn't have the legs of T&A, which might or might not sound better, has similar specs, and cost more than double.