IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

• 2 weeks later...

All of my files are on an NAS. The volume of files is less than 4GB.

Lately my internet connection has been very, very flakey, so, at times (due to internet problems) my access to the files is problematic.

Is there a way that I can directly access these files (obviating the internet requirement) - maybe connect a suitable drive directly to my Mini?

I assume that my iPad will still require internet, to control HQPlayer.

TIA

21 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

All of my files are on an NAS. The volume of files is less than 4GB.

Lately my internet connection has been very, very flakey, so, at times (due to internet problems) my access to the files is problematic.

Is there a way that I can directly access these files (obviating the internet requirement) - maybe connect a suitable drive directly to my Mini?

I assume that my iPad will still require internet, to control HQPlayer.

TIA

4 GB or 4 TB? Anyway … your lan should work even if your internet connection is down then access to the nas and iPad should not be a problem .

HQPlayer needs internet connection when it starts , once started it works without it.

What kind of router do you have?

Stefano

My audio system

4TB it is. If my internet connection is down, I cannot access my NAS.

My router works fine for all other internet access. And, (up until recently) my Mini successfully accessed files on my NAS.

Like most of us, I have a lot of boxes and interconnects in my playback chain.

So, I want a fall-back solution (at least to eliminate my flakey internet), so that my Mini can still access my files (on another drive?).

Here in Oz, we have very poor internet speeds - typical for me is 30Mbps download, 5Mbps upload.

12 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Of course you have a Roon server. Your Roon Core is the Roon server. Is that the Mac mini? If yes, where is the Mac mini in relation to the NAS? Are they on the same network?

Yes, of course you can move the files from the NAS to a drive connected directly to the Mac mini. That is the best way to do it.

Now you've got me - I did not know that I have a Roon server - how can I find it?  I just assumed that, as I only use HQPlayer Desktop to access my files on my NAS, I did not have a Roon server!

14 hours ago, Schafheide said:

I do not have a Roon server.  All my music files are on an NAS connected to my router.

So, I am asking if I can copy the files onto a drive that I can connect directly to my Mini, thereby eliminating the NAS/internet connection?

You can certainly have a local copy of library on local storage and scan that to the library. You can backup the other library instance and make another clean one, and then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries.

You can also scan both into the same library, but it will be confusing to browse and not fault-tolerant in the way you'd like.

I used to have a local library on my iMac using a Thunderbolt connected external HDD. And that was perfectly fine and very fast. Native macOS format.

But now I have library mostly on my "NAS" which is actually a Xeon based server PC running Ubuntu and Samba to do SMB share. This is not dependent on internet connection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Schafheide said:

Now you've got me - I did not know that I have a Roon server - how can I find it?  I just assumed that, as I only use HQPlayer Desktop to access my files on my NAS, I did not have a Roon server!

I thought that I read earlier you were using Roon. I must have confused you with someone else. My apologies...

On 10/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, Miska said:

You can certainly have a local copy of library on local storage and scan that to the library. You can backup the other library instance and make another clean one, and then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries.

You can also scan both into the same library, but it will be confusing to browse and not fault-tolerant in the way you'd like.

I used to have a local library on my iMac using a Thunderbolt connected external HDD. And that was perfectly fine and very fast. Native macOS format.

But now I have library mostly on my "NAS" which is actually a Xeon based server PC running Ubuntu and Samba to do SMB share. This is not dependent on internet connection.

Yes this works, but, when I switch from local USB to NAS, I have to rescan (which takes a long time).

Please elaborate "then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries".

TIA

On 10/28/2022 at 6:58 AM, Schafheide said:

Yes this works, but, when I switch from local USB to NAS, I have to rescan (which takes a long time).

Please elaborate "then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries".

You don't need to rescan, because you can backup/restore the library data. In HQPlayer's File-menu, you have option to backup and restore both settings and library data separately. You can use this to hold multiple different settings and/or libraries and to quickly switch between those.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

40 minutes ago, rjanderjr said:

This computer was not able to handle the multichannel processing described above.

Really? Here's the proof: 12900K, Ubuntu Server 22.04, source: Atmos 7.1.4 24/48 PCM, using 23 pipelines / 65K taps filters DSP then poly-sinc-gauss-long + 5ECv2 upsampling to 12ch DSD256. 😁

M1 Ultra? Just can't.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ba737e5ad148b2ffc8753d3dff5af65.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

I recently broke my golden rule, when I hastily upgraded to Ventura!

Can someone recommend a simple, fool-proof method to downgrade my Mini M1 to Monterey?

Ouch. 

I researched doing this before upgrading, just incase I needed to do it. 

I think the main ways to do this are Time Machine backup, macOS Recovery, a bootable USB installer. 

Booting with Shift+Option+Command+R: Reinstalls the factory-shipped macOS. Given it's an M1, it's probably Monterey? However, it nukes your apps and data I believe. Not positive.

I think a bootable Monterey installer may be what you want. 

Download Monterey here - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294?mt=12

Then follow this - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png