IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

I am running a Mini M1 with Roon and HQP which uses an SoTM SMS-200 Ultra an a NAA. The NAA then sends signal via USB to SoTM tx-USBUltra USB reclocker, then USB to Aqua La Voce S3. 

My issue is when using the highest sample rate my DAC can handle, 352.8 / 384, I get popping noises every 30 seconds or so, very much like the subtle popping when playing vinyl. 

If I switch to 176.4 / 192, I no longer have the popping noise. 

See screen shots for CPU and RAM usage. 

HQP RAM.png

HQP CPU.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.28.04 AM.png

1 hour ago, Badge said:

I am running a Mini M1 with Roon and HQP which uses an SoTM SMS-200 Ultra an a NAA. The NAA then sends signal via USB to SoTM tx-USBUltra USB reclocker, then USB to Aqua La Voce S3. 

My issue is when using the highest sample rate my DAC can handle, 352.8 / 384, I get popping noises every 30 seconds or so, very much like the subtle popping when playing vinyl. 

If I switch to 176.4 / 192, I no longer have the popping noise. 

See screen shots for CPU and RAM usage. 

HQP RAM.png

HQP CPU.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 10.28.04 AM.png

Take the USB Reclocker out of the path and see if that helps. If not, we know it's not the problem. My M1 mini can do 1.5Mhz pcm all day long every day so 352.8Khz should not be a problem.

No electron left behind.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, bobflood said:

The ER is no longer in production, a new version maybe later this year.

I have located a local distributor who has a couple of these in stock.

Which brings me back to my original question - will it improve the SQ of my setup, and if so, where would be the best place to insert it?

46 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

I have located a local distributor who has a couple of these in stock.

Which brings me back to my original question - will it improve the SQ of my setup, and if so, where would be the best place to insert it?

Put it in front of the HQP NAA.  Also, keep the cable between the ER and the NAA as short as possible and use a CAT 6 with no grounding (plastic ends). Blue Jeans Cables are reasonable and good quality. Also, power it with a Linear power supply if possible and use a good quality cable for that as well (Ghent makes reasonable quality DC cables). Lastly, don't put any other devices on the ER.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Put it in front of the HQP NAA.  Also, keep the cable between the ER and the NAA as short as possible and use a CAT 6 with no grounding (plastic ends). Blue Jeans Cables are reasonable and good quality. Also, power it with a Linear power supply if possible and use a good quality cable for that as well (Ghent makes reasonable quality DC cables). Lastly, don't put any other devices on the ER.

Or, if you're going to get one cable from Ghent, you might look at getting both. I personally (purely subjectively) liked Ghent's very reasonably priced JSSG360 Ethernet cable much better than the Blue Jeans in my system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, bobflood said:

Thank you for the info - I am guessing that you have some experience with it.  A couple of questions -

1. The manual says that the supplied PS is all that you need.

2. Metal-ended Cat 6A cables are fine, so long as there is only one connected on the "B" side.

Your comments would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Schafheide said:

Thank you for the info - I am guessing that you have some experience with it.  A couple of questions -

1. The manual says that the supplied PS is all that you need.

2. Metal-ended Cat 6A cables are fine, so long as there is only one connected on the "B" side.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Yes, the included PS should work fine. You might get a boost in performance with a LPS but start with the included PS. Also, Ethernet cables with metal ends can be fine if the ground wire is only connected at one end. I have many Audioquest cables that are built this way. They are Cat 7 or Cat 8. The Cat 6 spec calls for no end to end ground connection thus the use of plastic ends. As to whether it will improve your system, only you can make that decision after you test it.

Given that I already have the Cat6A (metal end) cables installed, I wonder if it is possible to find an RJ45 Cat 6A coupler (which is insulated), then a short length of Cat 6A (metal end) cable.  Or else a coupler which is not insulated, and then use a short length of Blue Jeans (plastic end) Cat 6A cable.

19 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Given that I already have the Cat6A (metal end) cables installed, I wonder if it is possible to find an RJ45 Cat 6A coupler (which is insulated), then a short length of Cat 6A (metal end) cable.  Or else a coupler which is not insulated, and then use a short length of Blue Jeans (plastic end) Cat 6A cable.

That sounds like a Rube Goldberg solution to a problem that will create more problems. Why not just get a new ethernet cable with the plastic ends on it?

No electron left behind.

12 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Before looking for such, do a simple multi meter test to see if the cable you have has the ground connected at both ends. If it does just buy a Ghent or Blue Jeans cable with plastic ends. Neither one is expensive. A coupler would cause some signal loss and possibly defeat what you are trying to do with the ER. You can then A-B test the two. Don’t overthink this.

Of course you are both correct, but, unfortunately, the cables (which do have the ground connected at both ends) are inside the walls plus both Ghents & Blue Jeans are very expensive here in Oz.  So I am looking for a cheap work-around.  Maybe wrap Polyimide Hi-Temp Tape around one metal end - I have done this on the USB cable into my SU-6.  A pity that the socket in the EtherRegen is not insulated, thus eliminating the need for plastic end cable.

9 hours ago, Schafheide said:

Of course you are both correct, but, unfortunately, the cables (which do have the ground connected at both ends) are inside the walls plus both Ghents & Blue Jeans are very expensive here in Oz.  So I am looking for a cheap work-around.  Maybe wrap Polyimide Hi-Temp Tape around one metal end - I have done this on the USB cable into my SU-6.  A pity that the socket in the EtherRegen is not insulated, thus eliminating the need for plastic end cable.

I would try that, it will probably work fine. I don't think there is any adapter like the one you want but Google is your friend if you must go that route.

9 hours ago, Schafheide said:

The other thing you could do is re-terminate the in-wall cable with plastic ends. It is a fairly easy DIY project or any tech could do it.

12 hours ago, Schafheide said:

If you have wall sockets that have grounds connected, just use CAT6(a) U/UTP patch cable for connections.

Even switches with seemingly plastic connectors can have small metal taps on the connector sides for ground connection when using STP cables. IIRC, Apple's Airport Extreme was one of such.

If necessary, there are some plastic female-female RJ45 connector blocks that can be used.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, Schafheide said:

These are network isolation transformers that would accomplish what you want to do:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2

https://jcat.eu/product/net-isolator-gigabit-network-isolator/

and there are others.