IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

8 hours ago, Schafheide said:

I have just updated to 4.19.2

Based on your info re this update -

Bug fixes and component updates. Core usage improvements in certain cases.

It would seem that our Mac Mini M1 are not included?  I was hoping to be able to use EC.

I do appreciate that you cannot always perform miracles!

Core usage improvements cover for example M1 Pro/Max/Ultra. But no changes for regular M1.

I'm using these settings on my Mac Mini M1:

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator = ASDM7ECv2

Output rate is DSD256.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 7/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, Miska said:

Core usage improvements cover for example M1 Pro/Max/Ultra. But no changes for regular M1.

I'm using these settings on my Mac Mini M1:

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator = ASDM7ECv2

Output rate is DSD256.

And do you hear any fan noise on you mini m1 with these settings?

lastly, will embedded run on m1, should I install Ubuntu server via multipass?

2 hours ago, jvvita said:

And do you hear any fan noise on you mini m1 with these settings?

No, unless my head is closer than 1 meter to the Mac.

My MacBook Pro with M1 Max is not bad either with those. But running heavier filters makes it really loud... 😅 (small case, small fans, narrow air paths)

I'm pretty sure Mac Studio is even quieter given bigger case and cooling setup. Even with much more powerful CPUs.

2 hours ago, jvvita said:

lastly, will embedded run on m1, should I install Ubuntu server via multipass?

No, there are no officially supported Linux distributions for M1 yet.

So only HQPlayer Desktop on macOS.

Just finished my Mac Mini M1 conversion to 12 volt dc using the Teradak dc module as done by @MikePid 

Very nice! 

I started with just powering it using an Astron 12 amp lps, not really audio quality and not quite as good as the standard ac supply. Then today I added LT3045 modules from ldovr.com (5 one amp in parallel), and that made a huge improvement! Terrific upgrade for not a lot of $$$. More body, more detail, more low end, cleaner all around!

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

1 minute ago, MikePid said:

Wow, interesting!  I'm still on the TeraDak 200W LPS.  Someday I might try a better LPS, but very happy with the MMM1 LPS upgrade with that.  My setup has an EtherREGEN and ultraRendu (both powered by really nice LPSs with nice fuses 🤑).

Given that you use ultraRendu + its LPS, does the LPS for the MMM1 make any difference?

FWIW: I have a MMM1 with opticalRendu with the Sonore Audiophile Power Supply.

I have the Sonore LPS too (with Blue fuse) - it used to power my ultraRendu, but there was ground leakage through the USB to my ungrounded DAC (the Sonore LPS is not grounded), so I moved it to the EtherREGEN and moved the (grounded) PH-SR4T over to the ultraRendu (and grounded the ER).  I replaced the Supra CAT8 from the ER to uR with a Sablon 2020 USB, and holy crap, what an improvement.  

The MMM1 and LPS upgrade was done after (i.e. with an already good signal chain downstream), and yes the TeraDak was a noticeable improvement over the Apple internal SMPS.  I temporarily installed the TeraDak kit and then a week later swapped back in the Apple SMPS, and confirmed it wasn't confirmation bias.  Someday I'll try my PH-SR4T in place of the TeraDak 200w LPS, however I know for sure that replacing the stock fuse with an Orange fuse in the 200w LPS is money well spent.  I wasn't sure whether a fuse which costs almost as much as the 200w LPS was worthwhile until I tried it.  I also use a Shunyata power cable into the 200W LPS.  As someone on one of these forums said "everything matters".

9 hours ago, MikePid said:

I replaced the Supra CAT8 from the ER to uR with a Sablon 2020 USB, and holy crap, what an improvement.  

Problem with cables like the Supra CAT8 is that it destroys galvanic isolation ethernet would otherwise provide, by connecting grounds of the devices at both ends together.

With devices like Rendu, you must use U/UTP cable type! You can find nice 500 MHz CAT6a cables in U/UTP type. And for shorter runs it costs ~10€ for a nice quality one.

19 hours ago, MikePid said:

Wow, interesting!  I'm still on the TeraDak 200W LPS.  Someday I might try a better LPS, but very happy with the MMM1 LPS upgrade with that.  My setup has an EtherREGEN and ultraRendu (both powered by really nice LPSs with nice fuses 🤑).

Hello again!

In case you have not already done so, I recommend that you update ultraRendu NAA to 4.2.0 - improvements in sound stage and "power".  But, in any case, it is free!

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I think i need to release high current PCB for you 
or just a "motherboard" for existing modules (somthing like this)

Yes Alexey! That would be great! Much easier to work with I'm sure.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

On 7/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, rah50 said:

Just finished my Mac Mini M1 conversion to 12 volt dc using the Teradak dc module as done by @MikePid 

Very nice! 

I started with just powering it using an Astron 12 amp lps, not really audio quality and not quite as good as the standard ac supply. Then today I added LT3045 modules from ldovr.com (5 one amp in parallel), and that made a huge improvement! Terrific upgrade for not a lot of $$$. More body, more detail, more low end, cleaner all around!

On 7/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, rah50 said:

Thanks for the update, I am considering one myself. 

I went to order a kit but TeraDak only accepts a bank transfer as method of payment - makes me a little nervous with no CC or PayPal protection. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, Miska said:

Problem with cables like the Supra CAT8 is that it destroys galvanic isolation ethernet would otherwise provide, by connecting grounds of the devices at both ends together.

With devices like Rendu, you must use U/UTP cable type! You can find nice 500 MHz CAT6a cables in U/UTP type. And for shorter runs it costs ~10€ for a nice quality one.

What do you mean by "devices like rendu"? What is it about it/them that requires an U/UTP cable? I am really interested in learning about this. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Badge said:

I went to order a kit but TeraDak only accepts a bank transfer as method of payment - makes me a little nervous with no CC or PayPal protection. 

I got mine from kamaudio.com, try them.

Bob

4 hours ago, bobflood said:

Using a cable with metal ends and having the ground wire connected at both ends (some only connect at one end) will allow ground plane noise to pass from the network devices to the input of the computer. Using a cable with plastic ends prevents this from happening. If you want a cable with metal ends just make sure that the ground wire is only connected at one end. A simple multimeter test is sufficient. AudioQuest network cables only connect the ground at one end.

I know this, but Miska said that this is particularly important for devices like the Rendu. I was curious why.

8 hours ago, bobflood said:

If you want a cable with metal ends just make sure that the ground wire is only connected at one end.

Note that there's no such standard compliant cable. So such cables are subject to potential problems. I usually advise to stick to standard cables such as CAT6a U/UTP.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Note that there's no such standard compliant cable. So such cables are subject to potential problems. I usually advise to stick to standard cables such as CAT6a U/UTP.

I agree, but I do own some with metal ends where the ground wire is only connected at one end (AQ cables purchased in my sillier days). I did verify with a meter that there was no continuity from end to end of the outer shells. And, in my network at least, they perform just fine. No better than all the Cat 6 cables that I have that have  plastic connectors but no worse.

A quick question. Under what circumstances are the Cat 7 cables with the grounded metal ends used and is there a difference in the design of the input at the board to prevent ground plane noise? 

Thanks

12 hours ago, bobflood said:

A quick question. Under what circumstances are the Cat 7 cables with the grounded metal ends used and is there a difference in the design of the input at the board to prevent ground plane noise? 

When there are shields, they are connected at both ends, and thus are all subject to ground current and noise problems. This is negative side of such cables.

CAT6a is good up to 10 Gbps ethernet. CAT7 is pretty useless, since it is not better than 6a. Then CAT8 is needed for 40 Gbps and faster, and always employs shields connected at both ends and thus is not suitable for these audio applications.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Schafheide said:

My amp volume control is very close to max.  I run M1 - ethernet - NAS - ethernet - ultraRendu - SingXer SU-6 - Holo May KTE - Mjolnir Carbon CC.  As I see it, the only possibility is to somehow increase the volume from the M1 ?  Ideas?

I doubt that the problem is in that chain. If you can beg or borrow a more powerful amp then you could test to see if your current amp is underpowered for the volume you desire. The most likely issue is that the May output is -6db from Its PCM level when doing DSD/SDM. I would not worry about the position of the volume control.