IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

• 4 weeks later...

Jussi / Miska,

I presently have a I7 2012 MacMini which has served me well. I see the benefit of the new MacMini M1 with increased processing horsepower. Problem is, there is no aftermarket outboard power supply / fan controller (ie. MMK from UpTone Audio) that I know of. 
Is the fan noise objectionable?

Is the internal power supply polluting the sound quality?

1 minute ago, jkenton said:

Is the fan noise objectionable?

Not in my opinion if the machine is not very close to your listening position. If you go about 50 cm behind the Mac Mini you can hear the fan. Two meters front of Mac Mini you would need a very quiet room to hear it. At least my unit (you never know if every fan they install is the same (ie. what kind of manufacturing tolerances the fans have).

4 minutes ago, jkenton said:

Is the internal power supply polluting the sound quality?

I don't know yet, I have not measured any DACs directly connected to it. At my office I have Mac Mini on the office desk while in the device rack 2 meters front of the desk has NAA and Holo Spring DAC. So I've been just playing to the NAA. In which case the PSU cannot pollute the sound.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...

a question
is there any user who with a mac mini M1 (+ NAA) and a dac holo audio or denefrips has tried the upsampling in pcm 1.411-1.536 mhz?
thank you

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

so it works, has no micro-interruptions?

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

thanks Jussi 👍

sistema:

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 4:25 PM, Miska said:

For HQPlayer 8 GB should be enough, but I've heard rumors that 8 GB models tend to wear out the flash storage fairly quickly due to extensive swapping.

As shown here, in case the usage is limited to HQPlayer, there does not seem much memory swap involved, even with 8Gb RAM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 8:25 AM, Miska said:

For HQPlayer 8 GB should be enough, but I've heard rumors that 8 GB models tend to wear out the flash storage fairly quickly due to extensive swapping.

Like you, I've read reports of peculiarly heavy use of swap storage on a 8 GB M1 Mini when the programs running didn’t seem to be using anywhere near that much RAM.  So 16 GB seems safest.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 4/1/2021 at 10:33 PM, fishflower said:

All filters? Does this include 7ec-xtr?7ec-sin_L?

Yes, 7ec-sin_L does work in M1 as I listen to mostly original DSD files. If you want to do 44.1 to 7ec-sin-L, you can achieve this with another upsampling of 44.1 to 64 DSD(eg. Roon) before feeding HQplayer.