IGNORED

How Loud is 1 Watt?

I found this particularly interesting as my speakers are  87dB /1W@1M

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

This reminds me of this clip:

In the above, the amount of power required is several orders of magnitude higher than is "measured" the clip in the OP.  It is certainly interesting to compare the two clips

OK - less efficient speakers, a larger room, different music, these are all contributing factors, but I do not think these factors alone explain the huge differences in what is "measured" here.

Speculation, but I suspect that a large part of the difference is how the "transient" power requirement is measured.  In the first clip, the measurement is done with a volt meter, which I suspect is averaging the reading over small periods of time.

In the case of the clip hear, the power is measured by the amps, which are CH Precision A1's.  

This from the CH Precision manual:

Power monitoring. Each power amplifier board is equipped with a DSP that monitors the instantaneous output voltage and current of each M1 channel. Both values are sampled at around 100 kHz, ensuring peak values are properly detected. This circuitry has several purposes: give the user a feedback of the peak power fed to the loudspeakers, and detect malfunctions such as short-circuits or amplifier damage.

I am thinking that because the CH Precision amps measure at 100 kHz, they show a true transient value, rather than a more averaged value as indicated by a volt meter.  So maybe the guy in the first video is actually using more watts than he might think?

As an aside, I tried a similar volt meter test myself once.  My results were fairly similar to that shown in the first clip, although if someone wants to lend me some CH Precision A1's for a few months, I'd be happy to revisit this.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I resemble that test, using the 1 watt of a Microzotl 2 to power 85db efficient Magnepan 1.7's in a 12x12 room.  I can run out of steam/watts in the low bass but the Zotl

is so much better on transients that I can tolerate that more than the loss of information  I've gotten from pairing with a 70W Prima Luna or a 100w modded Hafler amp.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Tomorrow, I will be receiving a Linear Tube Audio amp producing 12 watts into 4 ohms.  My current amp does 250.  My speakers are rated at 4 ohms and 87db with dips coming in at 2.8.

We shall see if a little power can come close to keeping up with adequate power.  I have my doubts.

35 minutes ago, Kimo said:

I have my doubts.

Me too. 🤪

Watch out for good control. Loud does not mean that per se (the contrary). I did not watch the whole video, but this will be about the damping (I guess).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Me too. 🤪

Watch out for good control. Loud does not mean that per se (the contrary). I did not watch the whole video, but this will be about the damping (I guess).

Dampening with tubes and no transformers, no less.  

No surprise to me ... I have done plenty over the years with nominally low powered amplifiers; which have had no trouble filling the room with intense, immersive sound.

What it's about is whether the sound at the level where you "have to shout", to be heard, is completely 'clean' - often it's not, and that's the signpost to there being problems, 😉.

People have no trouble arguing about power needs all day, but once the concept of audible distortion enters the conversation, it all goes quiet 🙃 ... unfortunately, this is the Final Frontier, 😜.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:46 PM, PeterSt said:

Me too. 🤪

Well.

I have not yet received the 12 watt amp, but I did receive the preamp, which also does duty as a 1 watt amp and headphone amp.

You have to turn the volume most of the way up, but I have not had to max it out, and  yet I am getting pretty decent volume and excellent control out of 1 ZOTL watt. 

I am pretty surprised by this result.  The room is not small. 

I also have the first gen MicroZOTL 1-watt amp, and am thrilled with it as a headphone amp. I always thought that this little amp would drive a pair of Klipsch Heresey's quite well (if I had them LOL).

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

15 hours ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

I also have the first gen MicroZOTL 1-watt amp, and am thrilled with it as a headphone amp. I always thought that this little amp would drive a pair of Klipsch Heresey's quite well (if I had them LOL).

I will be hooking it up to the Z10 today.  The Z10 working straight off the DAC's volume control seems to have plenty of headroom and, again, excellent control.  The Z10 is very clean and detailed.  

The Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers are filter-less, and so their full-range driver is coupled directly to the amplifier making for a fairly easy load (in that sense one could say they're actively driven). This is not trivial when it comes to taking the most advantage of the power capabilities of the amp at hand, as conversely a complex passive filter topology with challenging phase behavior could potentially, and quite easily drain a given amp so much that it would require much more power to achieve the same SPL, with a shared sensitivity, compared to the easy-to-drive Sibelius speakers. That is to say: for the views of the OP's supplied video to have general validity it would necessitate an amp more or less impervious to load in a range of speaker contexts, which is hardly the case with most running a wide variety of passive filter-driven speakers. 

This may be a case where Pearl Acoustics are trying perhaps to "alleviate" the limited SPL potential of their no doubt very fine Sibelius speakers, and in their specific context it's quite obvious going by the video that a single watt will get you a long way SPL-wise, even with a moderate to low sensitivity here. However the practically limited Sibelius SPL envelope of 96-98dB's, while quite loud with most compressed music material, only gets you so far with recorded material that has a wider dynamic range that could easily see them small cones leave their baskets for good. Tom Danley of Danley Sound Labs played a non-compressed recording at his home with full dynamic bandwidth of some heavy fireworks through ~99dB sensitivity SH50 Synergy horn main speakers and two 97dB sensitivity TH50 tapped horns subs, all coupled to 1kw amps, and he still succeeded in making the amps clip. Look at those sensitivity and wattage numbers again for some perspective on what it takes to reproduce realistic dynamics.. 

This is not meant to put down Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers, mind you. One point source per channel, no passive (or other) filter in the chain, a folded horn, very nice cabinet build quality and overall attention to detail seems like a recipe for lovely sound in limitedly spaced surroundings. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

52 minutes ago, phusis said:

The Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers are filter-less, and so their full-range driver is coupled directly to the amplifier making for a fairly easy load (in that sense one could say they're actively driven). This is not trivial when it comes to taking the most advantage of the power capabilities of the amp at hand, as conversely a complex passive filter topology with challenging phase behavior could potentially, and quite easily drain a given amp so much that it would require much more power to achieve the same SPL, with a shared sensitivity, compared to the easy-to-drive Sibelius speakers. That is to say: for the views of the OP's supplied video to have general validity it would necessitate an amp more or less impervious to load in a range of speaker contexts, which is hardly the case with most running a wide variety of passive filter-driven speakers. 

This may be a case where Pearl Acoustics are trying perhaps to "alleviate" the limited SPL potential of their no doubt very fine Sibelius speakers, and in their specific context it's quite obvious going by the video that a single watt will get you a long way SPL-wise, even with a moderate to low sensitivity here. However the practically limited Sibelius SPL envelope of 96-98dB's, while quite loud with most compressed music material, only gets you so far with recorded material that has a wider dynamic range that could easily see them small cones leave their baskets for good. Tom Danley of Danley Sound Labs played a non-compressed recording at his home with full dynamic bandwidth of some heavy fireworks through ~99dB sensitivity SH50 Synergy horn main speakers and two 97dB sensitivity TH50 tapped horns subs, all coupled to 1kw amps, and he still succeeded in making the amps clip. Look at those sensitivity and wattage numbers again for some perspective on what it takes to reproduce realistic dynamics.. 

This is not meant to put down Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers, mind you. One point source per channel, no passive (or other) filter in the chain, a folded horn, very nice cabinet build quality and overall attention to detail seems like a recipe for lovely sound in limitedly spaced surroundings. 

More then likely, no - they probably have a baffle step compensation filter and some other, single drivers, do use a Zobel network to tame the overwhelming midrange produced.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, phusis said:

There is an angle here that probably a lot of people don't appreciate - a 1kW amp quite often fails to perform as it should, and the reason is that the power supplies aren't good enough - the supply rails can drop dramatically in level, as a transient spike of loss of the design voltage - and the amp clips, momentarily. Why? Because the power supply is too primitive, and can't deliver the energy fast enough to maintain the correct numbers, the current requirements are more than the engineering allows.

I did some analysis many years ago using Spice circuit simulation software, and it was easy to make conventional power supplies fail to perform, purely as a model, by using closer to real world parts. And real world gear would do even worse.

Which is why some amps which have very simple amplifying circuits, but monster power supplies, do so well in listening tests - the unit actually works as intended, rather than being close to the edge when more volume is desired.

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

More then likely, no - they probably have a baffle step compensation filter and some other, single drivers, do use a Zobel network to tame the overwhelming midrange produced.

"The absence of a crossover network almost guarantees a simple and straightforward amplifier load, and that did indeed turn out to be the case. The impedance stays comfortably above 6ohms throughout, and the quarter wave line is tuned to 48Hz. ..."

https://pearlacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Sibelius396.pdf

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

3 hours ago, the_bat said:

Was he in the room when he did this, and if so does he have any hearing left?

That translates (I think) to 122 db spl which would cause immediate pain and ear injury.

Very short SPL-bursts of this magnitude (or whatever the more precise level of sound pressure must have been in this case) are, if not in any way regularly recommended, tolerable to the human ear.

The point remains: realistic dynamics with ample headroom requires more than one would think. Say the dynamic envelope of a symphony orchestra where levels up to or in the vicinity of ~110dB's are not uncommon, depending of course on how close you're seated to orchestra. For this level to be reproduced fairly faithfully by one's home stereo not only requires for it to be able to reproduce up to that SPL, by way more for it to be an effortless, low distortion presentation. Which, as it happens, would then be perceived less loudly the more cleanly it's reproduced.  

54 minutes ago, fas42 said:

There is an angle here that probably a lot of people don't appreciate - a 1kW amp quite often fails to perform as it should, and the reason is that the power supplies aren't good enough - the supply rails can drop dramatically in level, as a transient spike of loss of the design voltage - and the amp clips, momentarily. Why? Because the power supply is too primitive, and can't deliver the energy fast enough to maintain the correct numbers, the current requirements are more than the engineering allows.

I did some analysis many years ago using Spice circuit simulation software, and it was easy to make conventional power supplies fail to perform, purely as a model, by using closer to real world parts. And real world gear would do even worse.

Which is why some amps which have very simple amplifying circuits, but monster power supplies, do so well in listening tests - the unit actually works as intended, rather than being close to the edge when more volume is desired.

It's a common misconception to believe pro amps sport malnourished power supplies, or are otherwise sonically lacking. Some are better then others, naturally, but in quality installations they're used within their specs and built to last. Some of the best amps I've heard are from the pro segment, like Crown's Studio Reference series and MC². 

Tom Danley wouldn't have used anything that wasn't up to the task; it's not amp insufficiency, but a true indication of what live dynamics actually necessitates. 

8 minutes ago, phusis said:

The point remains: realistic dynamics with ample headroom requires more than one would think. Say the dynamic envelope of a symphony orchestra where levels up to or in the vicinity of ~110dB's are not uncommon, depending of course on how close you're seated to orchestra. For this level to be reproduced fairly faithfully by one's home stereo not only requires for it to be able to reproduce up to that SPL, by way more for it to be an effortless, low distortion presentation. Which, as it happens, would then be perceived less loudly the more cleanly it's reproduced.  

Many rigs fail to do the higher SPLs with "effortless, low distortion" - the 'strain' is quite obvious, and people immediately wind back the volume.

If the sound is presented at high levels very cleanly, then the adjective used is no longer "loud", but rather, "intense" - the experience mimics live music dynamics, and immersiveness - it becomes, "fully convincing".

5 minutes ago, phusis said:

Tom Danley wouldn't have used anything that wasn't up to the task; it's not amp insufficiency, but a true indication of what live dynamics actually necessitates. 

Sorry, live dynamics requires the gear to work 'correctly', rather than just to specs - I have heard what well sorted, low power amplifiers can deliver as a subjective experience; and what a mess of it very powerful amplifiers in a non-optimised rig can make, too many times to think otherwise ...

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Many rigs fail to do the higher SPLs with "effortless, low distortion" - the 'strain' is quite obvious, and people immediately wind back the volume.

Sure; most any rig, not least one driven too far from its unstrained operation, can be made to sound this way.

My intention for this discussion though is to highlight what it would take for a home set-up to reproduce live dynamics fairly accurately. Very few come close..

If the sound is presented at high levels very cleanly, then the adjective used is no longer "loud", but rather, "intense" - the experience mimics live music dynamics, and immersiveness - it becomes, "fully convincing".

I'm basically saying the same thing, so nothing to argue here.