IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

Hi! 

The Mutec Nano is not quite up to performance when compared with Mutec Ref10. The OCXO inside the Mutec nano is not performing good at Short Term Stability (Allan Derivation) for some reasons.  The measurement of Allan Derivation is little way too high when compared below. This is not quite a same level when compared to Mutec Ref10 or others. 

image.thumb.png.83a393ac0dc6cb041f6c99c54c5346f5.png

The Typical measurement for AXTAL =  2.10 x E-12 in 1s interval as per above. 

Vs

The Typical measurement for OCXO = 5.93 x E-13 in 1s interval. 

This is one digit difference (E-12 vs E-13) Other OCXO has much lower measurement as below graph in BLUE. 

We want to share some of the OCXO with same Phase Noise -142dBC/Hz @10Hz offset. The Allan Derivation is always positve correlated with Phase Noise Performance.

The Allan Derivation  

This is another important measurement for Audio Application, the Allan Derivation is about the stability in frequency at very short time intervals e.g in 1s little second. The Allan variance is intended to estimate stability due to noise processes and not that of systematic errors or imperfections such as frequency drift or temperature effects. The Allan variance and Allan deviation describe frequency stability, i.e. the stability in frequency. We found this measure is positively correlated with Phase Noise measurement. E.g. OCXO with low Phase Noise figures, will have lower Allan Derivation. 

For audio application, the most important point is @ 1 sec = 5.93x10E13 (the lower the better) in BLUE.

image.thumb.png.736d7c408eb9e9a2cf92c31ee78cc975.png

We suggest when puchase the OCXO product, it is always look for indvidual measurement of Phase Noise and Allan Derivation. This can ensure the sound quality will not be compromised. 

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Ok……Thanks for the info. Unusual that a competitor would come out and point out flaws in a product that has not even been distributed to the public. 

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well you are not breaking any rules but Thomann Music might be.  I am sure that Mutec’s exclusive USA importer will be none too thrilled to hear that a German dealer is trans-shipping this hot new clock for 28% off the official $2,499 list price. 9_9

Expect removal of German VAT of 19% for export outside the EU accounts for much of this difference, so @russellbobbyis probably getting it cheaper than German locals can (assuming US customs duties and/or sales taxes are not material).

9 minutes ago, Jakenz said:

Expect removal of German VAT of 19% for export outside the EU accounts for much of this difference, so @russellbobbyis probably getting it cheaper than German locals can (assuming US customs duties and/or sales taxes are not material).

That misses my point. Dealer cost on the REF10 Nano is about $1,500–worldwide, convert that to whatever currency you wish—with various taxes being a separate matter. 
So you have one German dealer selling worldwide for about $300 over cost. That really sucks the incentive out of the product for Mutec’s entire dealer/distributor base. 

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That misses my point. Dealer cost on the REF10 Nano is about $1,500–worldwide, convert that to whatever currency you wish—with various taxes being a separate matter. 
So you have one German dealer selling worldwide for about $300 over cost. That really sucks the incentive out of the product for Mutec’s entire dealer/distributor base. 

Yes, I wasn't disagreeing with your point, indeed I agree the US distributor is unlikely to be at all happy with being undercut, just making an observation re a pricing factor in play.

We noticed that the Mutec website changed the specification on Allan Derivation at 1 sec (Typically) for some reasons when we compared the figures on 24-Nov-2023 vs 25-Nov-2023. 

The Typical measurement for Mutec NANO =  2.0 x E-12 in 1s interval

Vs

The Typical measurement for OCXO = 5.93 x E-13 in 1s interval. 

This is one digit difference (E-12 vs E-13) Other OCXO has much lower measurement as below graph in BLUE. 

The Allan Derivation measurement figure is 330 times worse when compared, which may not an ideal grade for Audio Application.

Most Audiophiles and Studio Recording company will hear the difference when compared. The Allan Derivation in 1 second is extreme important figure, and it is describle frequency stability on OCXO itself. 

image.thumb.png.04a6fb4318a7bdc84511fd783ce3fb39.png

This is the specification on 24-Nov-2023:

image.thumb.png.fc1f65bd27e063c4f074bd364f009e44.png

This is the updated specification on 25-Nov-2023: 

image.thumb.png.937566b420b8f0fc62781f2dd0f1172c.png

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Hey Adrian,

Put me something together with P.S for under 2k.  I will buy it with full understanding that you will accept a return with no restocking. I will pay shipping back to you. 
If it sounds better than the Mutec then we are all good. I plan on staying with a streaming Dac and can probably get away with one input/output. It will be mated with the Etherrrgen so need 75 ohm config.

please pm if you are interested. 

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

43 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

However, as I suggested a few pages before you can have a low phase noise, HOWEVER is the spuri on the phase noise plot are many not just in quantity but amplitude as well it does negate a lot of the so-called figure show off's. This directly effects the performance of the phase noise,

Can you describe this simpler?

38 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

Can you describe this simpler?

Just consider how harmonics (from poor power supply, poor layout, or wherever) that show up directly on a clock waveform can easily cause problems far worse than the base phase-noise performance of the OCXO used in the box:

If those harmonics appear on the waveform anywhere near the attached equipment’s clock trigger voltage, they will induce jitter far worse than some overall cleaner clock box, one that might be based on a more modest OCXO or  XO. 

Please also refer my recent prior post—and our paper—about how amplitude modulation turns into phase modulation and  vis versa. Those occurrences—happening all the time,  caused by clocks, power networks, layouts, and digital chips themselves—are what allow ground-plane noise to propagate throughout and between components. The impact of that ground-plane noise—on the DAC’s local master clock pin—is why we hear any of that upstream stuff. 

10 minutes ago, russellbobby said:

The Mutec Ref10 Nano is in the rack. Mutec states a 14 day break in period. 
My room now is set up with Christmas tree so the seating configurations have changed, and not for the good. 
Good  news is that the Tubulus Concentus has a couple weeks breaking in and was really sounding good with the OCK 2

Excited to hear your take on these two. Other than the Etherregen, can you tell me where you’re using the clock? Cheers

‘Excited to hear your take on these two. Other than the Etherregen, can you tell me where you’re using the clock? Cheers”

The Bricasti M3 is a streaming Dac. So the EtherRegen is connected with the Mutec and the clean side into the Ethernet input of the Bricasti   Not sure if I will use any of the other inputs/sockets/connections. ( What is the proper nomenclature?)

Only been in for a few hours. Really do not want to comment. I think these clock/cables are much more sensitive to break in.

I do like the texture in the vocals that was apparent from the start. 
Like I mentioned with the Christmas tree up I have a couches on each side of of the room on the long wall and taking some high end energy away. 

The OCK 2 was sounding real good with the Tubulus Concentus cable when I pulled it out. 

2 minutes ago, russellbobby said:

Only been in for a few hours. Really do not want to comment. I think these clock/cables are much more sensitive to break in.

I do like the texture in the vocals that was apparent from the start. 
Like I mentioned with the Christmas tree up I have a couches on each side of of the room on the long wall and taking some high end energy away. 

The OCK 2 was sounding real good with the Tubulus Concentus cable when I pulled it out. 

No worries, I’m considering the same upgrade. Will be interesting to see what you think once things settle

Can someone explain this to me like a 3rd grader?  So the Nano goes to the EtherRegen and into the Bricasti M3 ethernet input. No external clock input on the Bricasti.  Is it basically just giving it a cleaner signal to start with?

So what are the advantages of a dac that has a clock input other than the clock being  active on other inputs?  Does it bypass any internal

processing that way or basically the same with another way of getting there? 

Thanks

On 11/17/2023 at 10:56 PM, russellbobby said:

Cabling was very important. The stock throw in and a 40 dollar BNC were very underwhelming. It wasn’t until I installed the Harmonic Technologies that I was starting to buy in. Martin on the forum here recommended the Tubulus Concentus . Breaking in very nicely. 

Clock cables are so important!  While the Canare and Belden clock cables were ok in my early experiments, a quality clock cable really makes the external clock sing.  First the Harmonic Technology DC-III but especially the Tubulus Concentus are amazing at pulling out extra detail while being less harsh - a real magic trick.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 12/7/2023 at 9:01 PM, russellbobby said:

Can someone explain this to me like a 3rd grader?  So the Nano goes to the EtherRegen and into the Bricasti M3 ethernet input. No external clock input on the Bricasti.  Is it basically just giving it a cleaner signal to start with?

So what are the advantages of a dac that has a clock input other than the clock being  active on other inputs? 

The whole objective is to minimise the noise superimposed on the data signal entering the DAC.  The lower the noise along the chain, the less gets into the all-important digital-to-analogue conversion, resulting in higher resolution and lower smearing of the resultant analogue signal.

Every stage of the digital chain matters, so using an EtherREGEN removes noise from the ethernet signal, as you said.  However, using a better clock into the DAC gives additional improvement over and above what the EtherREGEN has achieved.

I do exactly this using two AfterDark clocks, one for the ER and the other for my DDC/DAC combo.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

But really it would be better and easier for the DAC to have really good clocks built in--sitting just an inch or so from the DAC conversion stages.

Alex, could you tell us, what phase noise ratios - in your opinion - a good built-in clock should have at least?