IGNORED

Can Bad Recordings sound Good?

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Physically, that’s impossible. But if your imagination can conjure-up that kind of realism, then more power to you.

In other words, the rewards are enormous if you make it up as you go along.

Not quite sure why you think it's think it's impossible ... in my world most high end rigs that I come across I could not live with; their added distortion is just too obvious, and becomes highly irritating; because it never goes away.- as a starting point, aim to eliminate that signature being so obvious; surely a realistic goal ... who knows, a secondary outcome could be the realism that turns on for me, 😁.

5 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Because the “obvious” added distortion you talk about doesn’t exist. It’s imaginary.

And, like I have said before, even if that “distortion” were real, there is certainly nothing you can do about it! If designers like John Curl, Dan D’Agostino, Nelson Pass, etc., weren’t able to eliminate that “added distortion”, what makes you think that you can? (That’s a rhetorical question, BTW. Don’t bother to try to answer it)

Some designers even utilise a little added distortion with their choice of input and output semiconductors

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

in my world most high end rigs that I come across I could not live with; their added distortion is just too obvious, and becomes highly irritating;

A high end rig , should by definition be transparent.

However some designers utilise a small amount of deliberate distortion products of the even order to make them sound slightly warmer. This includes Nelson Pass, and with at least one of his designs, AKSA from DIY Audio (Hugh Dean) in Melbourne .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Here's a thought experiment for you.

Imagine the following painting covered with years of grime and filth.

Do you think that cleaning away this grime and filth will suddenly turn this piece of "art" into the Mona Lisa?

In a nutshell, this is what you are asking us to believe.

The fundamental flaw in your proposition is that at no point is the underlying painting a worthwhile object - an equivalent recording example would be someone using a cassette recorder to capture the fooling around of some high school kids with jazz instruments - no matter how faithful it was to the actual sound at the time, it would never sound like a jam session of consummate musicians.

My experience is that the mind is remarkably capable of registering what is truly valuable in the recording, and discarding all that which has no bearing on "the important stuff" - a CD I got from the library had a historical artifact on it - the first known capture of Charlie Parker playing ... incredibly primitive, this was well below cassette tape standard - but the talent of the man shone through; it worked, as a listening experience.

Further to that, the higher the integrity of the playback chain, the more convincing is the presentation - the mind has less 'muck' to deal with; meaning the modulation of the recording qualities by the replay idiosyncrasies.

8 hours ago, Teresa said:

I've been to several audio shows, CES and The Show in Las Vegas and have heard many superbly realistic sounding hi-end systems. Most audiophiles don't want to hear 'seasoning' but want to hear what's on the recordings. That is why well engineered recordings sound more realistic on realistic sounding audio systems.

Often, they only sound realistic on the "right recording" - they make a complete mess of demanding recordings, and are quite unlistenable to. This is precisely what I find offensive - that they are not capable of presenting recordings other than those very, very carefully made without sounding off.

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My experience is that the mind is remarkably capable of registering what is truly valuable in the recording, and discarding all that which has no bearing on "the important stuff" - a CD I got from the library had a historical artifact on it - the first known capture of Charlie Parker playing ... incredibly primitive, this was well below cassette tape standard - but the talent of the man shone through; it worked, as a listening experience.

How did you know the recording was well below cassette tape standard?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Because the “obvious” added distortion you talk about doesn’t exist. It’s imaginary.

And, like I have said before, even if that “distortion” were real, there is certainly nothing you can do about it! If designers like John Curl, Dan D’Agostino, Nelson Pass, etc., weren’t able to eliminate that “added distortion”, what makes you think that you can? (That’s a rhetorical question, BTW. Don’t bother to try to answer it)

Every time someone tweaks a system, in the absolutely myriad number of ways that have been documented, recounted oodles of times, they are adjusting the distortion of the system. If it weren't so, then it would always sound absolutely identical, each time ... you have a "thing" about USB - because, it introduces "obvious added distortion" ... or is your perception that it's inferior, "imaginary"? 😜

An individual component can have brilliantly low levels of distortion, when tested in isolation - but be a disaster in a particular system ... because of this magical, "synergy" concept - a weasel word for the lack of “obvious added distortion".

2 minutes ago, Confused said:

How did you know the recording was well below cassette tape standard?

Technically, it was of a very low standard - it was listening to him playing in a bathroom, several rooms away in the house; very low level, very noisy.

18 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I have no problem enjoying Charlie Parker, early Louis Armstrong, and Robert Johnson but the idea that you can make these flawed recordings sound like live music ("convincing") by tweaking your equipment is ludicrous beyond words. 

Okay, think about this ... a sub-par rig makes the listening to such things slightly ridiculous; everything about the presentation has a caricature-like, cartoony quality to it - "you can't take it seriously". A highly capable replay makes you feel you are listening to real musicians, but they happen to be in very noisy environments, the acoustics of the play they chose to perform in are poor, or they organised themselves in an odd arrangement in the space; identical, subjectively, to listening to live music playing in those situations. Now, if you were offended by live music being performed in below par environments, then of course you wouldn't appreciate competent playback of these types of recordings - so, it would vary per individual.

A key example of what happens is that 1942 Prom's radio recording I mentioned to George - below par, it's a kitchen radio, squawking away, a curious miniature of sound; at its best, the full orchestra is spread out, at good viewing distance, the contribution of each section and instrument is clear as a bell -. this is a serious, working orchestra doing its stuff.

14 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'll let you in on a secret, David ... the right sort of tweaking makes the signature of each recording stand out even more - and every one is different. Along with that, you get a very powerful sense of each part of the sound on a track having its own, special identity ... now, if you want to call that, colouration, go right ahead - but, personally, I reckon that's not too bad as something to listen to ...

Your "secret" Frank is called GIGO and you have perfectly described how tweaking can accentuate that problem for bad recordings whose signature is garbage. You are correct though to suggest coloration as an explanation for your method

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

Every time someone tweaks a system, in the absolutely myriad number of ways that have been documented, recounted oodles of times, they are adjusting the distortion of the system. If it weren't so, then it would always sound absolutely identical, each time ... you have a "thing" about USB - because, it introduces "obvious added distortion" ... or is your perception that it's inferior, "imaginary"? 😜

An individual component can have brilliantly low levels of distortion, when tested in isolation - but be a disaster in a particular system ... because of this magical, "synergy" concept - a weasel word for the lack of “obvious added distortion".

Actually, the latest Yiggy with it’s totally redesigned USB input, actually sounds indistinguishable from the SPDIF input. I’m impressed.

George

32 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, the latest Yiggy with it’s totally redesigned USB input, actually sounds indistinguishable from the SPDIF input. I’m impressed.

+1...imho, it is the first dac i have had that sounds decent out my noisy everyday windows pc....

i think it's the first well designed usb input for a dac (in this price range)....about time!

Not quite convinced it beats the dynamics of what is possible with a quieter player via ethernet, but it is very close ....i have to do more critical listening....(too many other projects right now).

15 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

+1...imho, it is the first dac i have had that sounds decent out my noisy everyday windows pc....

i think it's the first well designed usb input for a dac (in this price range)....about time!

Not quite convinced it beats the dynamics of what is possible with a quieter player via ethernet, but it is very close ....i have to do more critical listening....(too many other projects right now).

I will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sound Minds Mind Sound