IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

For visitors of the North America Axpona show, from the Grimm website:

“Grimm Audio comes to Axponafor the first time! Eelco Grimm and John-Paul Lizars are present and love to demo the full system of MU1, LS1be and SB1 in room 1520. Visitors will enjoy the great sound of this integrated solution that received so much praise from reviewers and customers worldwide. As a sneak preview, the MU2 streamer with built-in DAC will be shown on static. Its official introduction will be at the High End Munich in May, but we could not resist to bring it to Axpona. If you are at the Axpona show, make sure not to miss us in room 1520! “

IMG_3103.jpeg

4 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

The demo MU1 has arrived and is plugged in . . . . . a prime objective is to assess the reported gains to the sound from using a WAVE spdif cable on the output of the MU1

Are you using rca->coax converter plugs on your WAVE cable, which I understand usually come with 75 ohm coax plugs.

PS. Like most cool-running components, the MU1 benefits from several hours warm up.

11 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

The demo MU1 has arrived and is plugged in . . . . . a prime objective is to assess the reported gains to the sound from using a WAVE spdif cable on the output of the MU1 but also I am intrigued to hear the sound of this beautiful streamer. The two black boxes to the rear of the Dave are its ARC6 power supplies.

I have wanted to hear the MU1 for a long time now so I am looking forward to this.

590D2DEF-C41B-4495-9C6A-5F57753272CF.thumb.jpeg.55c94d84900c7c31d4e24c493233ce83.jpeg

My dealer suggested leaving the MU1 powered up for the entire demo period and does NOT need to be in stand-by mode.  Strongly agree with that advice.  In my setup, warm up to sound its best requires 12 - 24 hours (after a power cycle, for example).  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I see the first pre views of the MU2 popping up on the internet but limited info for the rest. Looks like the unit is somewhat wider compared to the MU1 but with the same sleek design. Anyone more info to share? Eelco for example? 😉

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

For info about my setup, look at my profile

4 hours ago, aangen said:

I was able to enjoy the Grimm room at Axpona multiple times this past weekend. Add a turntable and CD transport and you are done. It was completely stunning sound. In a hotel room no less.

I take it that was the MU1 you heard? I understood that the MU2 would be static-display-only at this event. The live MU2 to appear at the Munich May show.

From the limited MU2 photos so far, the headphone socket is at the back, with a standard single-ended jack socket.

Analogue outputs are both single-ended and balanced.

Hans Beekhuyzen also uses a Grimm MU1, when reviewing other products it’s interesting to see how they perform in a setup with a MU1.

In earlier isolation feets/platforms for equipement and DAC’s are covered. Now Hans has reviewed the MUON Pro Ethernet filter.

Where other network filters seem to have little to none effect on the MU1, the Muon Pro filter appears to have more impact: 

2 hours ago, FredM said:

Hans Beekhuyzen also uses a Grimm MU1, when reviewing other products it’s interesting to see how they perform in a setup with a MU1.

In earlier isolation feets/platforms for equipement and DAC’s are covered. Now Hans has reviewed the MUON Pro Ethernet filter.

Where other network filters seem to have little to none effect on the MU1, the Muon Pro filter appears to have more impact: 

very interesting.  He clearly likes the effect, but his description seems to indicate a subtle difference.  When I've tried ethernet cleaners with the MU1 (already had the cleaners), there was a shift in perspective -- meaning the sense of where you sit in relation to the performance.  That isn't bad, but it may not be what you prefer.  Of course, as with all gear, you have to try it at home.  I will be interested to see how he feels about the filter over the long term.  

Personally, I prefer to pursue larger improvements (if possible).  Having applied many tweaks over the years, I found myself pulling them out after making larger changes (for example, a new power distributor) and getting to know my setup without the additional flavoring.   And then leaving the tweak out permanently.  Just my own experience given where I am in the hobby at the moment.  

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

7 hours ago, Ronnie112 said:

is interesting how Ethernet filtering does seem to improve the MU1's performance. Was triggered earloer by this review: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/digital-interface-reviews/network-acoustics-muon-pro-ethernet-filter/ Tested with a Grimm MU1 and Antipodes streamer and leading to a 'more organic' signature. 

Thanks so much for sharing.  I think I need to get one of these.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

25 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Thanks so much for sharing.  I think I need to get one of these.

Never hurts trying out to see if it is an actual improvement or just adding some flavor or a shift in focus. Agree with PYP that not every tweak is indispensable.

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

For info about my setup, look at my profile

1 hour ago, Ronnie112 said:

Never hurts trying out to see if it is an actual improvement or just adding some flavor or a shift in focus. Agree with PYP that not every tweak is indispensable.

The posts I’ve seen of this filter have all been glowing.  Some of those are from those who have Antipodes servers, so that is a positive sign.  

A tweak need not be indispensable for me to consider it worthwhile.  It has to help my system do a better job at getting out of the way of the music with the magnitude of the improvement easily justifying the purchase price.  One can advance their system quite far without having to go as far as only pursuing tweaks that are indisputable.

Since this is the MU1 thread, I should mention that I found Christiaan’s impressions to be extremely positive.  He’s been on the hunt for music servers that close the gap with the very best CD transports.  That pairing the MU1 with this affordable network filter accomplished without having any obvious downsides is a heck of a testimony.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I've previously raved over the Sablon AES cable connecting my MU1 to DAVE - compared to similarly priced, or lower priced, alternatives.

My gut feel was that the Sablon would compete well against much higher priced rivals, but I've never had the opportunity to find out.

Well, now a post at WBF has done that comparison for me, here. Spoiler alert: The Sablon did very well.

4 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I've previously raved over the Sablon AES cable connecting my MU1 to DAVE - compared to similarly priced, or lower priced, alternatives.

My gut feel was that the Sablon would compete well against much higher priced rivals, but I've never had the opportunity to find out.

Well, now a post at WBF has done that comparison for me, here. Spoiler alert: The Sablon did very well.

i'm curious how the transparent XL Gen 5 I use compares with the sablon. It's been a long time since it was reviewed, though the review was pretty stellar.

Kii Three/BXT < Transparent XL AES < Grimm MU1

Equitech 1.5Q

Signal and Evidence AC cables

39 minutes ago, soupcon said:

i'm curious how the transparent XL Gen 5 I use compares with the sablon. It's been a long time since it was reviewed, though the review was pretty stellar.

I'd be curious too, but based on long ago experience of much older gen Transparents,  I'd expect the pricey XL Gen V to give a top class sound, and it wouldn't make financial sense to jump ship at this point. My post was really for those that have not yet made a large investment in a top class cable.

In the past, I've occasionally justified spending too much money on hifi by convincing myself that it's a long term investment - only to find the dreaded upgraditis rearing it's head just a few years later. I must resist, I must resist...

I think I must be an outlier of MU1 owners not using the usual aes cables mentioned on here - one cable I have been bowled over with which I do use with the MU1 is the lesser known Anticables from Paul Speltz - sounds extremely musical to me and Paul offers a complete money back guarantee 

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

On 4/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, FredM said:

For visitors of the North America Axpona show, from the Grimm website:

“Grimm Audio comes to Axponafor the first time! Eelco Grimm and John-Paul Lizars are present and love to demo the full system of MU1, LS1be and SB1 in room 1520. Visitors will enjoy the great sound of this integrated solution that received so much praise from reviewers and customers worldwide. As a sneak preview, the MU2 streamer with built-in DAC will be shown on static. Its official introduction will be at the High End Munich in May, but we could not resist to bring it to Axpona. If you are at the Axpona show, make sure not to miss us in room 1520! “

IMG_3103.jpeg

The Absolute Sound's Jonathan Valin wrote this about the LS1be:

"Next up was the powered (by built-in Class D amps), DSP’d, $40k Grimm Audio LS1two-way with subwoofer. Like almost everything at this show, the Grimm was a little bright in the upper mids. That aside, it was quite good sounding, with a very nice blend with its subwoofer. The soundstage on a Melody Gardot cut was enormous, and the timbre and focus of her voice were quite lifelike. While I wouldn’t call the LS1 a Best of Show, it came close, which is a first in my experience for a powered, DSP’d speaker."

Two of his BOS choices were for speakers near the price of the Grimm, but these are attached to electronics that cost somewhere north of $150,00 (one might be twice that).  It would have been interesting if he had listed the complete price of each setup.  

I wonder if Grimm simply plugged their setup into the wall or used some kind of conditioner.  

5 hours ago, PYP said:

"Next up was the powered (by built-in Class D amps), DSP’d, $40k Grimm Audio LS1two-way with subwoofer. Like almost everything at this show, the Grimm was a little bright in the upper mids.

Audio is moving in the right direction ... real life sound is "bright", but many audiophiles shrink from this characteristic as if it were the Black Death; more accurate reproduction will always show this behaviour.

Historically, "brightness" meant distortion - because if this aspect is a tiny, tiny bit wrong then it can be unlistenable - The Game is to absolutely nail the reproduction of this quality; if you do, then 'magic' is in the room ...