IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

6 hours ago, luisma said:

Beautiful and thank you for reporting back, the only conflict I have is why and how could you made it passive?

Thank you very much first.

Fans or no fans are a concern for a lot of people. Here is my point of view.

I basically don't want any moving parts in my electronic devices. What doesn't move can't vibrate either. Lots of people spend a lot of money on anti-vibration platforms and device feet for good reason. That shouldn't apply to the audio computer of all things?

I had installed a 140mm case fan in an audio PC in the Streacom FC9, because the passive cooling for the Intel i9-9900K was not sufficient. Inaudible at 200rpm. Vibrations were mitigated by a rubber suspension.

36625971hg.jpeg

Later I installed a SOtM fan filter because the PWM control caused electronic interference. I wasn't really happy with it. 

36625969aj.jpeg

Some place fans outside the device and cool from the outside. This avoids electronic interference, but the cooling is very inefficient. In addition, there is the development of dust. Where nothing moves, no dust can be raised. In the extreme case it looks like this. 😂

015-1.jpg

Source: https://www.igorslab.de/15-dinge-die-man-besser-lassen-sollte/15/

With all activated cores (8 P-Cores 4.2GHz + 8 E-Cores 3.6GHz) the Intel i9-12900K CPU did not get warmer than 80 °C. In current operation with 8 P-Cores 4.0GHz and AVX512, the temperature is approx. 60 °C. Passive cooling can work very well.

6 hours ago, chipvn said:

From what I saw, he is running HQPlayer with the filter and modulator combination doesn't required more than 40W CPU Total package power on the 12900k (enable only 8 power cores and max CPU clock max at 4GHz).

Thats correct 👍

+ enable AVX512!

On 12/1/2021 at 6:49 PM, StreamFidelity said:

44.1kHz to DSD256x48 / ASDM7ECv2

42549417ge.png

96kHz to DSD256x48 / ASDM7ECv2

42549418zh.png

My final assessment of the sound quality (SQ)

I notice a more precise, punchier bass and "springy" transients in percussion and guitar sounds. But maybe it's just me, because my body moves to the rhythm of the music the whole time. 😂 I am very enthusiastic.

The manual is one of the most accurate I've ever read. 👍 It says on page 43:

The primary 24-pin power supply connector (JPWR1) meets the ATX SSI EPS 12V specification. An 8-pin (JPWR2) processor power connector must also be connected to your power supply.

I am assuming that the Taiko DC-ATX converter connected both 24 pin ATX (JPWR1) and 8 pin to the CPU (JPWR2)?

29 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

I'm testing a Taiko DC/ATX module and during the test i'm trying to power the CPU of the Motherboard with an external Power Supply in 12V.

You have now tried to supply the 8 PIN CPU connection with another LPS. That does not work. It has to come from the same LPS that is used to supply the Taiko DC-ATX converter.

In my case I am using Keces P28. 24V / 4A go to the Taiko DC-ATX converter and 2 x 8 PIN CPU are supplied directly from the same Keces P28 via 12V / 10A and 12V / 6A.

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

What you mean is that to have the 12v/8pin running, it should come from the same PSU and not from 2 separate : right ?

Yes

How is it possible as i think i read that some people are feeding the 12V/8pins with another PSU than for the Taiko DC/ATX ?

Unlikely. It never worked for me with ASUS boards.

17 hours ago, Zauurx said:
Intel Core i9-11900F

Intel's 11th generation processor has received a few bad reviews. Essentially, it was about the poor energy efficiency. Not good for a passive cooling system.

When it comes to cost, go for an i9-10900 or i9-10850. When it comes to maximum performance, choose a 12th-core.

2 hours ago, Louie said:

Thus, I am looking for upscale to DSD512, which CPU that you will suggest?

In my opinion, it is always better to have more power reserves. The i9-12900 enables DSD512 / ASDM7ECv2. I'm not sure if a weaker CPU can be used.

2 hours ago, Louie said:

Also, do you have idea on which Z690 mainboard that have better SQ? It seem you are using MSI, how is your feeling on SQ?

msi was a positive surprise to ASUS on the part of BIOS. It runs very smoothly and enables, for example, the fan monitoring to be switched off at the push of a button. The direct phase design is also impressive. ASUS has a hybrid model.

At the moment I prefer DDR4 RAM due to the low latency and the selection of Z690 boards is limited. With DDR5 I prefer to wait and see how it develops.

Today i use 3 rollerblocks from symposium but your feedbacks/recommendation  could be very useful before i start to put in place the Motherboard.

I prefer fis Magic Spacers. Unfortunately they are currently sold out. Decoupling sensitive electronic components is always a good thing.

39399585mk.jpeg

Since it is possible to stream via Qobuz with the HQPlayer, I am of course also concerned with the question of what is better:

HQPlayer with or without Roon?

Roon on its own does not have a good reputation among many when it comes to SQ (sound quality). In addition to rather simple DSP algorithms, Roon, as a data octopus, is constantly busy feeding the music library with information. Roon seems to put more emphasis on the visual representation than on the rendering quality.

I really appreciate the user interface and diversity of Roon. That's why I previously combined Roon for music management and presentation with the high-quality algorithms of the HQPlayer. The separation only became really good when I started using a 2 PC system. The Audio Server with the Roon Core and the Audio PC with the HQPlayer.

HQPlayer without Roon

The user interface of the HQPlayer has always taken getting used to. You just have to know that the library has to choosen on the left (description diagonally) under "Album view". There the albums or playlists can be selected from the NAS or newly from Qobuz. The "Transport view" is displayed on the right. The usefulness of this representation is still not apparent to me today. I haven't figured out how to turn on random playback until today. Or how I can like or dislike titles. I close the lid of my laptop and the playback end, why? The HQPlayer Core is somewhere else entirely. So much for the negative things.

The streaming via Qobuz is going well and a lot (too much?) Of meta information is displayed. Even the album covers of Qobuz are loaded.

42644276zo.png

HQPlayer with Roon

Here Roon presents a tidy surface. For good reason, DSP is deactivated in Roon and delivers the data natively to the HQPlayer. At Roon, I really appreciate the fact that there is no difference between the albums on the NAS and on Qobuz. I don't have to switch back and forth.

I can name my tags any way I want and if I don't like a title in an album, this title will be disliked. This title is no longer selected when playing the album. Very pleasant. Roon Radio just continues to play suitable tracks if I haven't reloaded an album. That always brought me new, interesting albums that I would not otherwise have come across.

42644277jv.png

Which sounds better?

It could very well have been that HQPlayer sounds better with Roon. Because if you are streaming via the HQPlayer alone, the metadata and album art must be managed by the HQPlayer. So the HQPlayer has more to do.

The good news: I don't hear any difference between the two configurations.

Anyone who has a Roon lifetime license like me can continue to use the ingenious user interface without impairing the sound. Provided the Roon Core is running on another PC.

Anyone who is annoyed about Roon or only has an annual subscription can consider using the HQPlayer alone. The user interface takes some getting used to, but it performs well.

DSD512 with ASDM7ECv2

Incidentally, I carried out the test with a very high quality, which the JCAT OPTIMO S ATX power supply and the fis Audio PC are very demanding. The CPU temperature averages around 90°C.

The right side wall of the HDPLEX H5 v3 Chassis gets very hot, which is positive. Because the heat is dissipated very well.

The JCAT OPTIMO S ATX power supply is a little warmer than hand warm. 👍

55 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Newer or faster doesn’t equal better.

This is true. Another example: I am currently not using DDR5 but DDR4 for the Z690 boards. DDR4 is more mature and definitely has significantly lower latencies combined with lower power consumption.

Example : no ECC ram, quite old chipset,…

ECC leads to an increase in latencies.This is technically unavoidable because of the error check. The question is which is better: fewer errors or faster processing? Fewer errors can maybe achieved with high-quality DDR4 RAMs, just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 6:38 AM, Asimov said:

Have you compared HQPlayer (upsampled in DSD) to Foobar2K in the native sample rate?

No

On 12/31/2021 at 6:38 AM, Asimov said:

Could you please tell me what I am missing here?

Remote diagnoses are difficult. The filters and modulators of the HQPlayer are very diverse. If you like PCM better than DSD - why not? But it is a pity that Denafrips has a very good design for DSD. 

https://www.denafrips.com/specs-pontus

DSD  DSD64 (DoP) on Coax/AES/Opt Input 
  DSD1024* On USB & I²S Input Only 
PCM  24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Input 
  1536kHz* On USB & I²S Input 

I would experiment a little bit. Leave out the Gustard and go with USB into the DAC. Then you can do PCM oversampling up to 1.536kHz. Listen to DSD again with the new ASDM7ECv2 modulators. 

With this setting, the HQPlayer cannot sound good. The digital volume control is red. You have to set at least -3dB to avoid clipping. I use -4dB.

7 minutes ago, Asimov said:

But I am curious why you are not using any DDC!

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has Signalyst NAA (Network Audio Adapter) on board. This is the best connection I have had so far.

42 minutes ago, Asimov said:

BTW, have you tried any DDC with your Terminator Plus DAC?

No. That would certainly have been an interesting experience with the GAIA DDC. I know that Denafrips recommends I²S. 

GAIA%20Sync.webp

Source: https://www.denafrips.com/terminator-plus

My sound experience with JCAT USB XE was great, so I never felt the need.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

@StreamFidelityI have slowly been working my way through the 146 pages.    There is a massive amount of talk about lowering the heat within the HDPlex H5 cases, with the higher powered CPU's  - TDP 105 and above.

I love the look of your Perspex lids.   I can't see anywhere if you have done any testing of temps from your personal Server both with the standard H5 lid on and with the 4 Hole Perspex Lid.

Any stats available please?

Regards Cazzesman

I have copied this question to my thread.  

With the old H5 V2 chassis, the CPU temperature difference between an open chassis and with acrylic lid was only 2-3°C (depending on operation and installed components). 

The new H5 V3 chassis cools the CPU much better. There is also now a solution for the Solarflare NICs via heatpipes. With that in mind, the optics (whoever likes it) outweighs the cooling effect. 😉

I think the acrylic lid will still cool a few degrees better because the air is exhausted directly above the CPU and PCIe cards. For hardcore DSD conversion it maybe make the difference. But I haven't done any measurements. 

10 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

When you say 'open chassis' I take it you mean with the metal lid completely off the H5.

Yes

11 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

If that is the case do you have data on both the approx temps with the metal lid on and with the lid off?

Not yet. Maybe I'll run a series of tests at some point. At the moment, I don't have the time.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, deanorthk said:

I have found the Asus formula, but no 9900K

Why not go straight to the latest 12th processor generation? These CPUs and Z690 motherboards are much more powerful. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...