IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

• 1 month later...

@barrows can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he has issues believing there are people who subjectively prefer the sound with a preamp inserted, he is just speaking from a technical perspective, DAC direct to power amp will be technical "more transparent" which is correct.

On the subjective preference, IIRC, Jim Smith has noted in the past that he has subjectively preferred the sound when a good preamp is inserted in the chain, as compared to DAC direct and he has no financial incentive for stating that belief and Jim probably has more experience listening to more systems in more environments than perhaps anyone.  I have read lots of component reviews over the years where the reviewer subjectively preferred a preamp in the chain.  So there are plenty of examples out there.  And of course there are lots of people preferring DAC direct after experimenting.  

Also, there is no such thing as a 100% transparent system or component.  So we are talking relative degrees of  transparency here and of course there is the question of whether the reduction in transparency resulting from the insertion of the preamp is audible, and if audible, did the other subjective sonic "improvements" from inserting a given preamp outweigh any loss of transparency.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 minute ago, Kimo said:

Not according to the guys who make the most transparent electronics in the world, as I pointed out earlier.  

I might have missed that.  Which company makes the most transparent products in the world (sorry if your comment was tongue in cheek)? :)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am interested in hi fidelity playback, and not playback which is intentionally colored, or obscured.  Other's may prefer a colored system, and that is fine with me as long as they recognize that and understand that the colored sound is what they are getting.

I don't know that all preamp designers are intentionally coloring the sound, in fact I am sure that is not the case with some preamps, but of course, there are probably plenty of designs out there with intentional colorations.  But again, you are speaking from a relative point of view here, right?  Your current system for example is not 100% transparent, you are just attempting to get as close as possible to a theoretical ideal of transparency.

So... as I was typing this, we just experienced yet another earthquake aftershock here in Salt Lake City.  The house shook pretty good!  I think we are at something like 350+ aftershocks now.  Ok, worldwide pandemics (check), earthquakes (check)....   What next?! 🤕

Of course, others in more earthquake prone areas of the world would laugh at a 5.7 quake!:)