IGNORED

The Who -- Who?

39 minutes ago, Moosbrugger said:

Has anyone listened to the new album?
Does anyone know if it's available for hi-res download?

Just the single, which is okay. 

Official release is Dec. 6; do you probably won't see it till then. Maybe on the 5th .

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Who's listened to it? What did you think? 

My 2 cents: it's pretty good, but nothing special. It reminds me a lot of several of Paul McCartney's recent albums: It's well done - performance, writing, production, and arrangements are all good. BUT.....it's just not memorable. You don't remember the songs after they are over. They sound fine, but ultimately are forgettable. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

25 minutes ago, blue2 said:

Sadly very pipe & slippers. There are far better new or recent releases to spend your cash on IMHO e.g. Sonic Ranch by Gregg Rolie, What Was Said by Tord Gustavsen, Means Of Escape by Danny Bryant, Live in Vienna by King Crimson.

Many thanks @blue2 - lots of new recommendations for me. It will keep me listening whole week ;-) Many thanks again.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

1 hour ago, blue2 said:

Sadly very pipe & slippers. There are far better new or recent releases to spend your cash on IMHO e.g. Sonic Ranch by Gregg Rolie, What Was Said by Tord Gustavsen, Means Of Escape by Danny Bryant, Live in Vienna by King Crimson.

Maybe one warning that Means Of Escape by Danny Bryant is awfully badly mastered, very loud, almost no room for dynamic - DR4! - at least CD version. 

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have listened this latest The Who record and I actually like it. It's not superb, but has such rock and roll taste, kinda post punk vibe. Could be better mastered of course, but overall - it is enjoyable. 

--

Krzysztof Maj

On 12/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, firedog said:

Who's listened to it? What did you think? 

My 2 cents: it's pretty good, but nothing special. It reminds me a lot of several of Paul McCartney's recent albums: It's well done - performance, writing, production, and arrangements are all good. BUT.....it's just not memorable. You don't remember the songs after they are over. They sound fine, but ultimately are forgettable. 

Very good summary and commentary. Dead on. Solid Who music, but no surprises, and nothing that stands out, or is likely to be remembered. I read interviews with both Pete and Roger seeming to indicate that they really felt this was a quality addition to the Who catalog, and I just can;t get there myself, much as I had wished for that.

JC

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, mkrzych said:

Maybe one warning that Means Of Escape by Danny Bryant is awfully badly mastered, very loud, almost no room for dynamic - DR4! - at least CD version. 

I couldn't find it in the DR database but the SQ doesn't seem as bad as DR4, although I agree it is loud. It was produced by Danny himself so blame him! I hope you tried before you buyed ;p Remember you can pick your nose but you can't pick other peoples music!

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, mkrzych said:

I have listened this latest The Who record and I actually like it. It's not superb, but has such rock and roll taste, kinda post punk vibe. Could be better mastered of course, but overall - it is enjoyable. 

Glad you liked it but for my taste this is much more like the Roger Daltrey of old and to my liking Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - Going Back Home. YMMV of course!

🎸🎶🏔️🐺