IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

10 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

All ethernet cables are factory built and I have no intention of opening them up.

7 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

But you can at least check with a multimeter whether the rj45 connector enclosures are connected at both ends of the same cable (should not be connected or you may lose some of the benefits of using audiophile switches).

If the cables shields are connected to ground at both ends, find a manufacturer of cables who does not do this.  It may matter more in some locations of your network than others.  In one location of my network (way upstream), I replaced a costly audiophile ethernet cable with shields connected at both ends with a well built but low cost UTP Cat 6a and gained an improvement.  However way downstream the UTP Cat 6a was inferior.

Also, @kostas6a3, I gather Roon Rock is an OS that runs the stock Linux RoonServer.  So it seems you have 2 servers.  I had a quick look thru the Melco manual and it appears there are not instructions to uninstall minimserver or TwonkyServer.  If you could, the N100 would likely have simpler processing and perhaps sound better.

4 hours ago, dbastin said:

Also, @kostas6a3, I gather Roon Rock is an OS that runs the stock Linux RoonServer.  So it seems you have 2 servers.  I had a quick look thru the Melco manual and it appears there are not instructions to uninstall minimserver or TwonkyServer.  If you could, the N100 would likely have simpler processing and perhaps sound better.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of my system so far.

Some Supra CAT8 cables I tried without the external patch cord attached degraded the SQ.

As for Roon Rock and Melco I have not understood what is meant. Roon Rock is the core and Melco is the server.

My original question is still unanswered.

Which optical fiber to use and which SFP module Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL or Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL ?

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

1 hour ago, kostas6a3 said:

Which optical fiber to use and which SFP module Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL or Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL ?

For the FTLX1465D3BTL i have used different versions of  duplex single mode, Mm62,5x125 Lc/lc.  Tried different brands and lengths and did not detect any difference.

What did make a noticeable improvement was upgrading the power supplies of the router and conversion box from a regular switching wall warts to iFi Power X.

________________________________________________________________________________

Finisar Mono mode Fiber > (Finisar SFPs + iFi Elite) > SOtM SNh 10g (+AD Clock + LPSU) > Melco S10 > Melco N10 > Verity Audio Monsalvat Pre 2 > MBL N15 Monoblocks > MBL 116 speakers

10 hours ago, dbastin said:

If the cables shields are connected to ground at both ends, find a manufacturer of cables who does not do this.  It may matter more in some locations of your network than others.  In one location of my network (way upstream), I replaced a costly audiophile ethernet cable with shields connected at both ends with a well built but low cost UTP Cat 6a and gained an improvement.  However way downstream the UTP Cat 6a was inferior.

Cables with ground connections on both ends are perfectly useable, as long as the devices on either end are properly grounded.

Also, some devices (switches, routers, etc.) have plastic ethernet ports, therefore the connected cables will not be grounded. You can check whether a device's ports are connected to ground. Simply attach two cables that you know have connected shields, and check for continuity with a meter. If no continuity, the ports are not grounded.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

38 minutes ago, audiobomber said:
11 hours ago, dbastin said:

Expand  

Cables with ground connections on both ends are perfectly useable, as long as the devices on either end are properly grounded.

I had previously said "Some cables or devices are preferable when shields are not connected to the ground or headshell at the downstream end" rather than implying we should never use cables with shields connected to ground at both ends 

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

It is not always easy to determine whether the device is properly grounded (and not everyone will be able to do this), so a universal way will be the use of ethernet cables that have only one end of the connector body connected to the screen. 😉

Is it ok to use a Farad 7 volt LPS without risking damage to the EtherRegen? Looks like the 9 volt may be better suited but have a chance for a nice deal on a used one. 
thanks,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Thanks    I know you mention the Stock supply is fine but damn this hobby :)

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

14 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

I am completely satisfied with the performance of my system so far.

Some Supra CAT8 cables I tried without the external patch cord attached degraded the SQ.

As for Roon Rock and Melco I have not understood what is meant. Roon Rock is the core and Melco is the server.

FTLF1318P3BTL is a 1gb/s transceiver

FTLX1475D3BTL is a 10gb/s transceiver

If the switch ports at both ends of your fibre cable are at the same speed it doesn't matter which one you buy. If one switch port is SFP (1gb/s) ER is this speed, and the other is 10gb/s then I would opt for the FTLF1318P3BTL 1gb/s model to save handshaking/connection issues with both ends being different default speeds.

I purchased the 10gb/s model and thought it was quite coloured in the sounds transported by it so I placed them where they least influenced the sound with their colour, feeding audio out from my NAS (the start of the audio transmission).

I use the Fiberstore (FS.COM) single-mode transceivers SFP-10GLRM-31 where it matters inside the ER SFP port. They seem very transparent (uncoloured) to my ears. As always YMMV.

18 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

N100 is the player/renderer/streamer (these are generally interchangable terms to name the thing that prepares and sends data to a DAC).

N100 is also a server if the minim server or twonky software has been installed.  Roon Rock is also a server., Maybe you could benefit form watching this ...

https://antipodes.audio/support/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/anatomy1.mp4?iframe=true

With 2 servers there could be extra processing and traffic etc that may be detrimental and unnecessary.

With 1 server and 1 separate player, the processing workload of the player is reduced and not diminished by any server functions/processing.

I am not sure of you can or want to roll back the N100 to factory settings to uninstall the server software.

I have heard SQ improvements on many occasions when roon tweaks its code in various updates.  These are small compared to separating the server from the player, but it might depend on the hardware. 

18 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

I suggest you use FTLF1421P1BCL instead of 1318. Also probably no need spending money on the 1475. 

You shall look for a yellow cable with blue connectors. (Single mode fiber). 

13 hours ago, dbastin said:

So in summary, three cables in different locations/situations with different shield arrangements.

It seems to me that your comparisons are not entirely correct precisely because of the use of three different cables - to identify the effect of connecting the screen on the sound quality in the system, you need to use the same cable, changing the way the screen is connected to the rj45 connector. Otherwise, you hear not only the influence of the way the screen is connected, but also the influence of the cable itself of different brands (i.e. its material, design, etc.).
So often it is not possible to change the way the cable connectors are connected to the screen on the same cable without interfering with the cable itself, it causes difficulties in determining which cable (with which way to connect the screen) to use. That is why a cable with a screen connection from one end will be universal. And in the process of listening, you can turn the cable over to choose the direction of the best sound . (the direction of the cable is also possibly caused by the peculiarities of the cable material, but changes after the cable burned up).

11 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I suggest you use FTLF1421P1BCL instead of 1318. Also probably no need spending money on the 1475. 

You shall look for a yellow cable with blue connectors. (Single mode fiber). 

Is it possible that you might be able to describe the subjective qualitative sound differences which you hear between these two SFPs?  I am curious.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

I have a newish EtherREGEN that I unboxed last night for a special project.

I run a dante audio system here for recording and general audio distribution. In simplistic terms dante is just ethernet with timing protocols and targetted broadcast messages on top to make sure data arrives in time to who its meant to be sent to.

I was having trouble getting the PC to communicate well over this new network extension. My existing network is mostly fibre but in this instance I had to use copper-only. Anyway in the traditional sense of input or network side being ER side "A" and the PC on "B", the timing protocol was reporting 46-48 millisecond latency (response time) when it should be a maximum of 6 milliseconds. Swapped the cable on the "A" side between the copper ports on the "A" side and nada. No difference. Still 46-48 milliseconds.

Then I had an idea and swapped so that the input or network side was side "B" and PC was now on the "A" side copper ports. 2-3 millisecond response time and now well within the 6 millisecond limit for good audio.

So who knew that "B" to "A" seems to have a faster path than "A" to "B"?

Just sayin'. No complaints.

Regards

GG

10 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

It seems to me that your comparisons are not entirely correct precisely because of the use of three different cables - to identify the effect of connecting the screen on the sound quality in the system, you need to use the same cable, changing the way the screen is connected to the rj45 connector. Otherwise, you hear not only the influence of the way the screen is connected, but also the influence of the cable itself of different brands (i.e. its material, design, etc.).
So often it is not possible to change the way the cable connectors are connected to the screen on the same cable without interfering with the cable itself, it causes difficulties in determining which cable (with which way to connect the screen) to use. That is why a cable with a screen connection from one end will be universal. And in the process of listening, you can turn the cable over to choose the direction of the best sound . (the direction of the cable is also possibly caused by the peculiarities of the cable material, but changes after the cable burned up).

It was not scientific, just observations and some presumptions/speculation about the influence of the shields in each situation.  Really what I was hoping to convey is:

• a given cable can have a different effect when used in different locations in the network
  • be careful not to assume that if a cable provides an outcome in one situation that it will have the same outcome in every situation
  • it can help to pay attention to how each cable design deals with the shield

Let's say we have 3 cables with shield connected at both ends (Group 1), and 3 cables with shields connected at one end (Group 2). 

• When used to connect devices A and B, it could be that Group 2 cables give the best sound and have more similarities than differences because devices A and B give the best sound with shield connected at one end. 
  • But when used to connect devices A and C, it could be that Group 1 cables give the best sound and have more similarities than differences because devices A and C give the best sound with shield connected at both ends. 

I suppose the way to work out what sounds best between any two devices is to directly compare say 3 cables that are identical (including same manufacturer, dielectric etc) except:

• 1 has no shield (UTP)
  • 1 has shield connected and one end
  • 1 has shield connected at both ends.

I suspect it would be necessary to make them, or have them made, and would be general rather than 'audiophile' cable materials/construction.

This would not take into account how some 'audiophile' cables include dielectrics or sheaths etc that could attenuate or absorb noise from the shield.  For instance, It could be possible that the Shunyata CMODE Modules actually attenuate noise not only from the twisted pairs and cable shield but also from the device it is connected to (like Akiko tuning sticks do), and this could be why the designers decided it sounds best with shield connected at both ends.

Shield connected at one end is a safe bet, but there are so many other possibilities.  There are too many variables to methodically test, and the expense would be mind boggling.  We can only patiently trial and error the cable we can get our hands on. 

13 hours ago, barrows said:

Is it possible that you might be able to describe the subjective qualitative sound differences which you hear between these two SFPs?  I am curious.

Absolutely no 😂

However the technically differences is my reason to suggest this. As I’ve been writing about before. Just search with my name and 1421. (Or white rabbit).

8 hours ago, dbastin said:

directly compare say 3 cables that are identical (including same manufacturer, dielectric etc) except:

• 1 has no shield (UTP)
  • 1 has shield connected and one end
  • 1 has shield connected at both ends.

My guess is that the same manufacturer connects the screen the same way for all of its erhernet cables. At least Audio Quest is the name of it – all of their cables have a connection to the screen from only one end of the cable.