IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 3/19/2022 at 8:38 AM, R1200CL said:

Since AliExpress was suggested as PS for EtherRegen, I bought this one myself. I won’t expect it to be at the top level. But it ought to do a decent job. I replaced it with a talema transformer and  ordered LT3045 version. 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002207035576.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.1b183c00L6Ec3w&mp=1

Was wondering how did this LPS performed for you, powering which device? Considering it and the Zero Zone suggested by Martin to try on my server, on my DAC, and on the 2nd eR.

16 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Was wondering how did this LPS performed for you, powering which device? Considering it and the Zero Zone suggested by Martin to try on my server, on my DAC, and on the 2nd eR.

I’m using on my Sonictransporter i5. I would expect it to have better specifications than the Zero Zone. 
Zero Zone is quite a simple design?  I assuming it does a fair job, as Sonore is selling them as well. 

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Zero Zone is quite a simple design?  I assuming it does a fair job, as Sonore is selling them as well. 

Zero-Zone is a brand, they make several styles of LPS. The one I use on my renderer is not a simple design.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124277521954?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3De93a69a48cb645d9930d5accc0a3ad19%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D124277521954%26itm%3D124277521954%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

6 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Indeed, it is a brand, and the product you linked to is the same @MartinT had linked, I believe, and the one I'm considering as well. It's $175 + $125 shipping for me, though vs. the one @R1200CLlinked to which is usually $345 but 50% off now and no shipping cost to me...so the latter kind of looks like a bargain right now. 

13 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m using on my Sonictransporter i5. I would expect it to have better specifications than the Zero Zone. 

I see the Sonictransporter i5 is spec'd 12-19V and 4A, like my AudioPC. Did you get the 12, 15 or 19V? Do you know how much current the sonicTransporter is drawing at that voltage?

On 6/15/2022 at 11:15 PM, R1200CL said:

Sonore does not sell Zero Zone products.  Perhaps you are thinking of Small Green Computer?  They are a separate company from Sonore, although we do partner up some things...

Sonore developed, and builds their own power supplies from scratch, with ultra high performance and available in standard and custom order voltages, The Sonore Power Supply.  These power supplies are hand built right here in the US, and use high quality parts including fully discrete voltage regulation.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hey guys,

I am trying to integrate more fiber in my network and keep my Ether Regen at the same time.

Network diagram with my next steps is attached. Devices and cables in italics are planned / ordered, but not here yet.

What do you think? Especially what transceiver to use in the Mikrotik switch.

Many thanks for any advice.

fibre_next_steps.jpg

Dont know about that switch, but soundwise, these are the best sounding ones i found:  https://www.adark.co/products/afterdark-project-clayx-constellation-sfp-module-for-audiophile?_pos=3&_sid=946259486&_ss=r

________________________________________________________________________________

Finisar Mono mode Fiber > (Finisar SFPs + iFi Elite) > SOtM SNh 10g (+AD Clock + LPSU) > Melco S10 > Melco N10 > Verity Audio Monsalvat Pre 2 > MBL N15 Monoblocks > MBL 116 speakers

9 hours ago, econaut said:

Hey guys,

I am trying to integrate more fiber in my network and keep my Ether Regen at the same time.

Network diagram with my next steps is attached. Devices and cables in italics are planned / ordered, but not here yet.

fibre_next_steps.jpg

As I understand, it is necessary to use the same transceiver at each end of a fibre cable.  Or perhaps at least the same spec if different brands.

I am using CRS 305 as router, it is much better for sound quality than the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP it replaced.  Below is my post about it.  I can post instructions how I set it up as router which could work for you.  For wifi I use a wifi access point instead of the old wifi router.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:18 PM, econaut said:

Hey guys,

fibre_next_steps.jpg

I have no recommendations for concrete devices but the setup plan looks good.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Hi sir ,

pls ..,

i’ve the same diagram of u , I take my SFP module’s  FINISAR with the same heavy duty suffixe, on second hand market on eBay , u can take also Cisco or Hp. , it are same .

also , with Microtik switch , and ER. I use the same regulated ultra low noise LPS like Mr LEWINSKI Ho1 , it’s certainly the best price quality ratio of the market ,

and prefer to choose OM 4 (5) quality for our optical fiber . For finish of course u can choice an external world clock 1oMhz. For ur ER., after dark ‘ve good choice , and good price for this (not for Finisar too expensive.. ) , or if u want the very high quality for ur clock , choose Japan cybershaft.

your’s,

w ;-).

OM4 and OM5 are multimode fibre specs. The Finisars that most people here have been talking about are single-mode transceivers (I'm sure they also make multi-mode). The single/multi mode formats do not connect to each other in my experience. You must have single-mode fibre plugged into single-mode transceivers and vice versa.

You are the first person here to say that they prefer the sound of multi-mode audio transmissions over single-mode.

Regards

GG

Hi sir Guy ‘! 

sorry for this mistake and misunderstanding on my part  (see I use first price for the moment) , like ur advices, I use of course mono mode type of optical fiber , and like I can read here along this previous 111 pages  … ;-)

yours  and thx for ur focusing sir Guy 0908CC6B-0A08-4822-B53E-9C0FBDAA5334.thumb.jpeg.8c57930c09ab25812528a4e2fe70061e.jpeg ;-)…

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of trying to connect the Melco S100 to the EtherREGEN via the SFP port.

On the market today I find the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.

My question is what fiber optic should I use? I would prefer a glass one but I can't find it on the market.

I will appreciate any reply for help.

The combination that gave me the best result was:

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco S100>Neotech NEET-3008 cooper>UpTone EtherREGEN>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>Melco N100 H20

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

5 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of trying to connect the Melco S100 to the EtherREGEN via the SFP port.

On the market today I find the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.

My question is what fiber optic should I use? I would prefer a glass one but I can't find it on the market.

I will appreciate any reply for help.

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco S100>Neotech NEET-3008 cooper>UpTone EtherREGEN>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>Melco N100 H20

I used 10Gtek's fibre cable, i am testing Cablesandkits Corning fibre patch cable.

Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL or Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL ?

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

7 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

I can't comment on the type of fibre cable, I assume you are aware of the basic specs/compatability for each of ER and S100.

I just thought I'd make some observations about your network, in case they have not ocurred to you..

You may have duplicate processing if both the NUC and N100 are performing server duties, and perhaps there would be benefit from disabling the server functions for the N100 so it benefits from having less load.

Take care with the shields of ethernet cables.  Some cables or devices are preferable when shields are not connected to the ground or headshell at the downstream end.

I hope you are powering the S100, ER and N100 from seperate power supplies.

Cheers

3 hours ago, dbastin said:

I can't comment on the type of fibre cable, I assume you are aware of the basic specs/compatability for each of ER and S100.

I just thought I'd make some observations about your network, in case they have not ocurred to you..

You may have duplicate processing if both the NUC and N100 are performing server duties, and perhaps there would be benefit from disabling the server functions for the N100 so it benefits from having less load.

Take care with the shields of ethernet cables.  Some cables or devices are preferable when shields are not connected to the ground or headshell at the downstream end.

I hope you are powering the S100, ER and N100 from seperate power supplies.

Cheers

Thanks for your comments.

Roon Rock is installed on the NUC and the N100 has the role of server.

All ethernet cables are factory built and I have no intention of opening them up. Y

es they are all powered by the same power supply, a 300Ω HDplex which has separate rails for each output and the manufacturer states:

"True Separate Rail Design. No shared Ground. Guarantee No Cross RFI/EMI Interference. This is a must for multi-rail Linear Power Supply. All output can work at the same time with no loss of performance and no cross-talk with each other."

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-300w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

Take care with the shields of ethernet cables. 

I agree.

2 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

All ethernet cables are factory built and I have no intention of opening them up.

But you can at least check with a multimeter whether the rj45 connector enclosures are connected at both ends of the same cable (should not be connected or you may lose some of the benefits of using audiophile switches).