IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

5 hours ago, kostas6a3 said:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/the-uptone-audio-etherregen-audiophile-switch.29106/page-4  post68.

Alex must have said that.

I'm thinking of still powering a Melco N100 (12V/2.3A), a NAS (12V/4A) and maybe a NUC  or A Roon Nucleus.

If all these are on A side, you can add the EtherRegen as well. 

Did you understand my answer. If not draw a simple sketch. Or tell me what’s on B side. And how items receiving Ethernet B side is powered. 

But they shouldn’t have the same power supply. 

Wow! 

Just moved my LPS1.2 over to the EtherRegen instead of using the standard ps and what a great improvement. Mostly to the sound stage, wider and much deeper, but also a much more relaxed presentation.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

If all these are on A side, you can add the EtherRegen as well. 

Did you understand my answer. If not draw a simple sketch. Or tell me what’s on B side. And how items receiving Ethernet B side is powered. 

But they shouldn’t have the same power supply. 

I hope I let you know how I think about connecting them. Thank you.

IMG_0463.jpg

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

6 minutes ago, kostas6a3 said:

I hope I let you know how I think about connecting them. Thank you.

IMG_0463.jpg

If the different outputs of the HDPlex power supply here are not completely isolated from each other, this connection scheme defeats the isolation of the EtherRegen.  With an ohmmeter setting on a Multimeter, one can measure if the HDPlexes outputs are isolated.  Simply measure the resistance in ohms between the 0V connections (AKA Ground) of the various outputs.  An isolated output would measure at an infinite resistance, or nearly so.  Or one could ask HDPlex for details: "Are the various outputs of the HDPlex 300W power supply completely isolated from each other, with completely separate power and ground rails?"

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

51 minutes ago, kostas6a3 said:

I hope I let you know how I think about connecting them.

Assuming the HDPlex isn’t a isolated supply, that Melco isn't having the best placement.
Also you should try to have the B as close to your DAC/streamer as possible. And nothing on A side should share power with equipment that is connected to the B side. 

This is the theory. You may not hear any difference, so feel free to experiment. Also test with and without that ground wire to EtherRegen. Nice sketch. 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Or one could ask HDPlex for details: "Are the various outputs of the HDPlex 300W power supply completely isolated from each other, with completely separate power and ground rails?"

The HDplex mentions in the technical  specifications of the power supply "Separated Ground for Each Output Rail 

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-300w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

Has anyone used two EtherREGEN in series and if so with what results?

I could not find anything about the above question in the 107 pages

1 minute ago, kostas6a3 said:

Has anyone used two EtherREGEN in series and if so with what results?

I could not find anything about the above question in the 107 pages

I have an SOtM switch in series with an EtherRegen with great results.  The combination elevates que sound quality without a doubt.

Which one goes first depends on the synergy with the rest of the components.  Some people prefer EtherRegen > SOtM,  while in my system the better sound comes fron SOtM > EtherRegen. 

If you want two EtherRegens in series will not be easy, as the model is discontinued, probably would have to source it fron the used market.  I have not read about this combination either. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Finisar Mono mode Fiber > (Finisar SFPs + iFi Elite) > SOtM SNh 10g (+AD Clock + LPSU) > Melco S10 > Melco N10 > Verity Audio Monsalvat Pre 2 > MBL N15 Monoblocks > MBL 116 speakers

58 minutes ago, Billy_SP said:

I have an SOtM switch in series with an EtherRegen with great results.  The combination elevates que sound quality without a doubt.

Thanks Billy, which SOTM is the simple one or with the sCLK-EX ?

I have found a used one and I am thinking of getting it. I tried a Melco S100 with excellent results but it is out of my budget.

Its the fully upgraded with sclk, silver wire snd upraded capd

________________________________________________________________________________

Finisar Mono mode Fiber > (Finisar SFPs + iFi Elite) > SOtM SNh 10g (+AD Clock + LPSU) > Melco S10 > Melco N10 > Verity Audio Monsalvat Pre 2 > MBL N15 Monoblocks > MBL 116 speakers

11 hours ago, dbastin said:

my last connection to endpoint is via wifi which in my case trumps all these toys put together.

My exaSound PlayPoint has wi-fi capability, but ethernet connection sounds much better, even without the EtherREGEN in the circuit.

A Furutech LAN-8 CNF cable on the B-Side brought great results for me.

On another note, I tried replacing the ER SMPS with an iPower X (grounded) and a Zero-Zone 50W LPS. The original PSU trumps both. The iPower had some good qualities but treble was a bit hot and sibilant. The Z-Z lacked dynamic swing and sounded a bit dirty.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

My exaSound PlayPoint has wi-fi capability, but ethernet connection sounds much better, even without the EtherREGEN in the circuit.

A Furutech LAN-8 CNF cable on the B-Side brought great results for me.

Just like any other interface, not all wifi is equal.  I have Devialet Pro and prefer it to using wifi to Auralic Aries G1 as streamer connected to the Devialet.

What did the Furutech replace for you to consider it giving great results?  Do you know what Furutech does about grounding the S/FTP shield?

21 hours ago, dbastin said:

Replace your router with a SFP+ capable router.

If people considder that route, I highly recommend to install iPfire on hardware similar to this

The you can create separate physical networks if you believe is such. And you can also have a very nice VPN solution for Roon. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

If people considder that route, I highly recommend to install iPfire on hardware similar to this

The you can create separate physical networks if you believe is such. And you can also have a very nice VPN solution for Roon. 

To clarify in case it was too subtle, the SFP '+' is 10Gbe and apparently that spec is superior.  I can certainly say in my case the CRS 305 is significantly better for SQ than the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP (1Gbe) it replaced.

I'm not sure if there is hardware like you suggested that is SFP+.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, dbastin said:

Just like any other interface, not all wifi is equal.  I have Devialet Pro and prefer it to using wifi to Auralic Aries G1 as streamer connected to the Devialet.

I should have mentioned that I do use wi-fi in my network:

NAS -> Netgear switch -> Router -> wi-fi bridge -> EtherRegen -> Playpoint

The Netgear switch, router, bridge and Playpoint all have linear power supplies.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, dbastin said:

What did the Furutech replace for you to consider it giving great results? 

Do you know what Furutech does about grounding the S/FTP shield?

I believe to meet spec, a CAT8 cable must have the connectors grounded at both ends. I haven't tested but as far as I know, the Furutech cable is a conventional CAT8 design. 

I have tried generic CAT6, 6a, 7 and CAT8 cables. I like the inexpensive Yauhody CAT8 from Amazon and use it everywhere in my main system except for the connection between the ER and PlayPoint. I also use a LAN Filter on the A-side feed to the ER.

I own four Supra CAT8 cables, but I don't use them in my main system. Supra has some good qualities, and I do use one Supra cable in each of my secondary systems. The other cables I have tried are a Supra+ (Supra CAT8, cryogenically treated, with Telegartner connectors) and Audio Sensibility Signature. Furutech LAN-8 suits my taste and system perfectly and the price is very reasonable.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

PS The linear power supply on my Netgear switch is a trial only. I have not had success with LPS on a switch. Hans B said the same thing in his review of the EtherREGEN.

I will leave this one in place for a few days to make sure break-in is done, then put an iPower in its place to compare. 

On 4/19/2022 at 5:27 PM, Encore said:

The next thing to experiment with is to try bypassing the EoP by attaching the first eR directly to the router downstairs . My wife should be away for some days in May, so I'll give it a try there. If it rocks, I'll see if I can have my electrician make it a permanent installation.

I have now tried this, and as expected, things improved once again. Perhaps not quite as much as I had expected but definitely enough to make it worthwhile to see if my electrician can find a way to install a permanent fiber-optic cable.

BTW, I haven't seen any single-mode fiberoptic cables longer than 15 meters (about 45 ft). Is there a limit to how long these can be?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

3 hours ago, Encore said:

I have now tried this, and as expected, things improved once again. Perhaps not quite as much as I had expected but definitely enough to make it worthwhile to see if my electrician can find a way to install a permanent fiber-optic cable.

BTW, I haven't seen any single-mode fiberoptic cables longer than 15 meters (about 45 ft). Is there a limit to how long these can be?

The limit of the fiber itself is at least 10 kilometers. But I think you are asking about a set with connectors on each end and two fibers. That is an economic question for the companies that make the sets: how many 100ft sets they think they can sell in a year? Is it worth it making any?

Monoprice sells up to 50M cables, just make sure you get ones that match the wavelength of the SFP modules you want to use..

John S.

I bought two Finisar FTLF1421P1BTL-NN to place in each of my eRs to replace the current CAT6 connection between them. Now I need to get the fiber patch cord: Yellow duplex single mode terminated with LC/PC on both ends is what I took away from prior posts.

Do I need to request fiber specifically for 1310nm laser wavelength, or the above would do?

No issues with length as short as 1m, right?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

I went ahead and have added fiber between the two eRs, and it's a significant improvement over CAT connection.

Same experience as me 👍 Do you know if the DXE ISO-Plus filters still make a difference now that you have the two eR's connected with fiber?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

On 5/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, Encore said:

Same experience as me 👍 Do you know if the DXE ISO-Plus filters still make a difference now that you have the two eR's connected with fiber?

Haven't yet tried, and will be away from home for a while. But theoretically they should as the DXEs are supposed to block high frequencies induced on ethernet cables and fiber should block DC leakage from smps upstream in the chain (my router). At least this is what I understood from John's posts.

• 2 weeks later...

So far the two EtherREGENs in the series have not performed as expected.

The sound became softer, lost in sharpness and the bass looser. Everything is powered by the power supplies that come with them. The power supply of HDPLEX 300W is expected, which will power the two EtherREGEN, the Melco N100 and the NUCK for the final hearings.