IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

btw, I did not get the SotM as an upgrade, it was inteded to be used on my second setup, that is without a streamer since I sold my optical rendu several months ago to help fund other stuff. since the USB and ethernet connectors orientation is opposite to the ones found in the rendu, a direct comparisson unfortunately takes quite some effort - come on, we are talking stupid audiophile cables, the kind that is stiff enough so as to take minutes to "bend" the cables to fit on different orientations without ruining anything. Funny enough, the only cable with bad contact issues, as mentioned above, is the orientationless DC cable..

so , can't yet say which streamer is better. but I tend to think they are surprisingly different (i honetly thought I wouldnt notice any difference at all).

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

Hi @Miska I plan to boot the Holo Red using the NAA OS. Does the OS support Native 1024 DSD to a HOLO MAY using I2S?

No, the I2S interface in Red supports up to DSD512. With USB connection to Spring/May DSD1024 works though. I don't see a reason to use I2S either.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 hours ago, Miska said:

No, the I2S interface in Red supports up to DSD512. With USB connection to Spring/May DSD1024 works though. I don't see a reason to use I2S either.

Hi @Miska. Thanks for this. In May’s manual, it was mentioned that it can theoretically go up to DSD2048. Can you advise how can this be achieved through HQPlayer?  

On 8/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, lsantista said:

so , can't yet say which streamer is better. but I tend to think they are surprisingly different (i honetly thought I wouldn't notice any difference at all).

There are very few comparisons between the two company's devices on the internet. I saw one where someone replaced the SMS200 Ultra with an OptoRendu and said the latter was vastly better. But no other details. It would be great if you could detail differences in SQ with each.

I've had the SMS200 Ultra for 4 or 5 years and I've always been curious about the Rendu products in comparison.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

On 9/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, Miska said:

On 9/13/2023 at 10:04 PM, Miska said:

HQPlayer also supports DSD2048. Just suitable output hardware is missing...

Thanks @Miska. When setting up an audio core like audiolinux with HQPlayer 5, would having multiple GPUs help in the computing load of more sophisticated modulators like asdm7EC 512+fs super at DSD1024? If not, can you kindly share some hardware recommendations to cope with computing requirements pls?

5 hours ago, VRS said:

Thanks @Miska. When setting up an audio core like audiolinux with HQPlayer 5, would having multiple GPUs help in the computing load of more sophisticated modulators like asdm7EC 512+fs super at DSD1024? If not, can you kindly share some hardware recommendations to cope with computing requirements pls?

Yes, if such works on audiolinux, I don't know.

I think most doing such have something like i9-13900K plus RTX4080 or RTX4090. Putting focus on enough cooling for the CPU is also pretty critical for the performance.

3 hours ago, lsantista said:

an ok air cooler has been a big disappointment

Like driving a Porsche Turbo with thin tires .... thermal throttling kicks in rather early, if you wanna feel the horsepower, get a decent AIO cooler. 

I am doing the opposite: all passive cooled for DSD256 with super modulator and poly-sinc-shrt-mp on 15w reduced i9-12900KS resp a i9-13900T and the NAA is in both system a J6412 celeron on 4.5w (all running Server2019 core with a couple of tweaks). 

7 hours ago, lsantista said:

I hear you. My 13900k + 3070Ti with an ok air cooler has been a big disappointment, performing basically the same as my 11600k + 1030 fanless card

With CUDA offload active, there is pretty big difference between those cards though...

What have you been trying to do with these?

I have 12900K with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and it is not performance limited by that cooler. But it will need such a big cooler, otherwise it will easily get into thermal throttling.

3 hours ago, Mops911 said:

I am doing the opposite: all passive cooled for DSD256 with super modulator and poly-sinc-shrt-mp on 15w reduced i9-12900KS resp a i9-13900T and the NAA is in both system a J6412 celeron on 4.5w (all running Server2019 core with a couple of tweaks). 

I have i9-13900T with active air cooler plus RTX2080, doing DSD512. The CPU can do DSD512 also without the GPU just fine. With GPU it is very close to being able to do DSD1024 (with EC-light). Using very fast G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 RAM.

Machine is built into Fractal Design Ridge case.

• 2 weeks later...

Raspberry Pi 5 announced today with new OS from mid-October, requiring 5v / 5amp power supply. Any advantage in this over a Pi4?

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

low power SoC's with AVX2 support.

Interesting, the N97 and X7425E have 4 cores @3.4 and 3.6GHz. Seems tight from a armchair quarterback perspective to do DSD256 with EC7. But the 8 core i3-N305 with 3.8GHz and 15w seems promising ;-) 
As said I run my i9-12KS and i9-13T at 15w with EC7-super and shrt-mp.

The issue, at least for me is, that the i226-IT does not support Server2019 well. And the heatsink might be to optimistic ;-)