IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

I just reconnected my DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit) directly to my PC with an external USB hub and do not detect any difference between the direct connection and the microrendu. I'm pretty disappointed that I don't hear any difference considering all of the high praise that this unit has received with regards to sound quality.

I'm running the microrendu on a HD-Plex 9V with Shunyata Alpha HC. The rest of my system is:

Aesthetix Calypso Signature preamp

Sanders Magtech amp

Magnepan 3.7i

Groneberg TS Premium speaker cables and interconnect between pre amp and amp

Groneberg Quattro Reference interconnect between source and pre

Groneberg Quattro Reference power cables for everything else (soon to be Cerious Technologies GE Blue for the Sanders Magtech amp)

dual Rythmik F12g

dedicated 20 amp circuit to cryo'ed Hubbells (soon to try Furutech GTX-D Rhodium)

foobar with wasapi out (event)

oyaide neo d+ USB cable from Schiit Bifrost Multibit to USB hub connected directly to PC, which is on a separate circuit

Every system and set of ears is different.

My only suggestion would be to listen with the mR for a few weeks, and then switch back and see if you notice any difference after a while. Sometimes the differences are small and we only perceive them as something like a more "relaxed" sound after long term exposure and long term lack of exposure.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have been struggling with using my MicroRendu as a NAA with HQPlayer for months. I am using a Chord Mojo and I cannot get playback at any DSD rate without dropouts through the MR. I get perfect playback using the Chord ASIO driver with the MR connected directly to my PC using USB at all rates up to DSD256. I get perfect play out at 705/768 PCM rates through the MR.

There seems to be some issue with DoP as I was able to get DSD512 working well when I was using iDSD Micro as DAC sending without DoP.

This issue has followed two computers, the latest being an i7 6500HQ system.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

I just reconnected my DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit) directly to my PC with an external USB hub and do not detect any difference between the direct connection and the microrendu. I'm pretty disappointed that I don't hear any difference considering all of the high praise that this unit has received with regards to sound quality.

Can you explain how you connected the MicroRendu and which mode, and why you use an USB hub ?

Using Roon, Tidal, HQPlayer ? Music on the same PC ?

Can you explain how you connected the MicroRendu and which mode, and why you use an USB hub ?

Using Roon, Tidal, HQPlayer ? Music on the same PC ?

Microrendu is connected to HDPlex on 9v with a Shunyata Alpha HC. Standard rj45 cable. I don't use a USB hub with the microrendu. When I connect the Bifrost directly to my PC it's connected to a USB hub that's externally powered.

I use foobar wasapi event with the Schiit Bifrost directly connected.

I use foobar wasapi event with the Schiit Bifrost directly connected.

And Foobar (2000) when you route the signal via the switch also ?

MicroRendu as UPnP ?

Not that it matters at all, but why do you USB hub between your PC and DAC, and why is it not present when your DAC is fed by the MicroRendu ?

And Foobar (2000) when you route the signal via the switch also ?

MicroRendu as UPnP ?

Not that it matters at all, but why do you USB hub between your PC and DAC, and why is it not present when your DAC is fed by the MicroRendu ?

Yes I select the microrendu UNP in foobar when using the microrendu. I only bought the USB hub because a bunch of my motherboard's USB ports stopped working. However, I have read that a USB hub is better anyway because it's externally powered.

Why would I use the USB hub between the microrendu and DAC? That doesn't make any sense to me.

On another note: I did a quick A/B with my 20-year-old nephew and he said the microrendu sounded a lot better. I'll have to do more testing.

Another annoyance with the microrendu is that there's a pop when I start a song. The pop is present with JRiver and foobar, but isn't present when I have my DAC directly connected to the PC.

I don't have much to add. Agree with firedog. Hopefully your nephew can guide you :)

And no of cause use it does make any sense to use an USB hub between the MicroRendu and DAC.

I notice others also had pops, but if they got rid of it, I don't know. I suggest you search the different treads.

i personally use Roon installed on a Qnap, and HQPlayer on a PC. (Only PCM). And a Tidal hifi subscription.

All these SW are available on trail, and maybe you find time to test some of them.

i hope you by time find the MicroRendu was worth the investment. It seems you have a lot of other nice equipment (that I'm not familiar with at all).

Maybe it can be as simple as the USB cable or the Ethernet cable. (Or no USB cable). Maybe you have other computers available. There are so many different things to try.

Have fun.

Foobar2000 is not a recommended server for the microRendu project. I tried it's DLNA/UPNP plug-in a while ago and found it awkward to use. You reported it was not working with 24 bit streams and channels were switched and that makes me concerned there might be other issues. JRiver on the other hand...we have a lot of experience with and even use it at trade shows with great success. I would use JRiver or MinimServer and follow the setup guides from this link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

In regards to clicks and pops with native DSD. What happens with Windows via ASIO drivers is not relevant on Linux. Linux has a very basic driver that streams the data as-is. It's really up to DAC to properly deal with muting the signal when necessary. My best advise with respect to DSD is to use DoP.

Foobar2000 is not a recommended server for the microRendu project. I tried it's DLNA/UPNP plug-in a while ago and found it awkward to use. You reported it was not working with 24 bit streams and channels were switched and that makes me concerned there might be other issues. JRiver on the other hand...we have a lot of experience with and even use it at trade shows with great success. I would use JRiver or MinimServer and follow the setup guides from this link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

In regards to clicks and pops with native DSD. What happens with Windows via ASIO drivers is not relevant on Linux. Linux has a very basic driver that streams the data as-is. It's really up to DAC to properly deal with muting the signal when necessary. My best advise with respect to DSD is to use DoP.

I don't have any DSD files. It's happening with FLAC.

I have been struggling with using my MicroRendu as a NAA with HQPlayer for months. I am using a Chord Mojo and I cannot get playback at any DSD rate without dropouts through the MR. I get perfect playback using the Chord ASIO driver with the MR connected directly to my PC using USB at all rates up to DSD256. I get perfect play out at 705/768 PCM rates through the MR.

There seems to be some issue with DoP as I was able to get DSD512 working well when I was using iDSD Micro as DAC sending without DoP.

This issue has followed two computers, the latest being an i7 6500HQ system.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Had lots of dropout issues with the mR until I added a good quality unmanaged switch to the system. All the components are plugged into the switch, and there's one cable connecting the router to the switch, so the router can do it's job. Don't know why it works, it just does.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm running the microrendu on a HD-Plex 9V with Shunyata Alpha HC. The rest of my system is:

Aesthetix Calypso Signature preamp

Sanders Magtech amp

Magnepan 3.7i

Groneberg TS Premium speaker cables and interconnect between pre amp and amp

Groneberg Quattro Reference interconnect between source and pre

Groneberg Quattro Reference power cables for everything else (soon to be Cerious Technologies GE Blue for the Sanders Magtech amp)

dual Rythmik F12g

dedicated 20 amp circuit to cryo'ed Hubbells (soon to try Furutech GTX-D Rhodium)

foobar with wasapi out (event)

oyaide neo d+ USB cable from Schiit Bifrost Multibit to USB hub connected directly to PC, which is on a separate circuit

I was hoping I wouldn't be reading any such comments that would, once again, dampen my upgrade fever.

Will drop you a line - maybe you can remote in and have a look?

What did you discover when Jesus looked at your micro rendu? What did you do to resolve the problem?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'm not a Mac user so I don't know much about A+, but I did a quick perusal of the A+ FAQ and it says you can output to airplay, the microRendu can be setup as an airplay device so you should be able to use it directly with A+. I have no idea if there are any limitations to this, others that are more Mac knowledgeable than me will have to answer that.

John S.

Limitation is sampling rate max of 48khz iirc.

I would recommend Roon which is a breeze to set up as well as hqplayer.

Also the airport express will work perfectly.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

If you read more carefully, you should conclude differently :)

So hurry up, and get rid of your fever !

I had already been convinced that my SB Touch couldn't compete with the newer offerings and ordered ''the other'' less expensive streamer. As it turns out it's back ordered and if it doesn't become available soon I'll probably order the mR.

BTW My initial decision was based primarily on budget restrictions.

I had already been convinced that my SB Touch couldn't compete with the newer offerings and ordered ''the other'' less expensive streamer. As it turns out it's back ordered and if it doesn't become available soon I'll probably order the mR.

BTW My initial decision was based primarily on budget restrictions.

You may be wrong about the SBT.

How about feed it with the LPS-1 ? You may also add FMC's (use a 10/100 version) and let the LPS-1 power one of them. Most likely there is enough juice left in the LPS-1...

Then later you can order the MicroRendu, which in any case would need the LPS-1 in order to perform at its best. Also if you haven't tried Roon and HQPlayer yet, there most likely be something there to lift your SQ.

In general I think good power (read power conditioner) can almost lift any gear to new heights. So also with the LPS-1, where you should be fine with the offered MeanWell to $15.

You may be wrong about the SBT.

How about feed it with the LPS-1 ? You may also add FMC's (use a 10/100 version) and let the LPS-1 power one of them. Most likely there is enough juice left in the LPS-1...

Then later you can order the MicroRendu, which in any case would need the LPS-1 in order to perform at its best. Also if you haven't tried Roon and HQPlayer yet, there most likely be something there to lift your SQ.

In general I think good power (read power conditioner) can almost lift any gear to new heights. So also with the LPS-1, where you should be fine with the offered MeanWell to $15.

If I'm wrong about the SBT it's because a bunch of people have convinced me that the mR is much better. I already have a CIAudio PSU powering the Touch. While it may not be at the same level as the LPS-1 I'm sure it's better than the stock switcher.

In any case the LPS-1 is also B/O and won't be available for another month.

If I'm wrong about the SBT it's because a bunch of people have convinced me that the mR is much better. I already have a CIAudio PSU powering the Touch. While it may not be at the same level as the LPS-1 I'm sure it's better than the stock switcher.

In any case the LPS-1 is also B/O and won't be available for another month.

No, you're not wrong. I switched from SBT to mR myself. But it was after adding the LPS-1, it revealed it's full potential.

I use the microRendu with the Yggdrasil. No problems here.

I have a Yggy with both the microRendu and and USB attached hard drive (via a sonicTransporter). I have been unable to get the signal to the Yggy. Andrew, at SmallGreenComputer has helped, and he recommended that I try a DDC (USB to SPDIF). This still did not help. Suggestions are welcome.

SSH