IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

Post COP26 prognosis by Climate Action Tracker

Research from world’s top climate analyst: World on track for disastrous heating of more than 2.4C

Let me get radical for a moment. Gotta at least try to deserve my 'Über-extremist' rank..

Some use the term 'ecocide'. It's not new, it was first used back in the 70's and since then (the author of the first initiative was the Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme) there were many attempts to make ecocide an international crime.

But do we really need that.?

Right now the number of environmental factors related deaths is estimated most often at between 8 and 12 million per year worldwide. 

If some through their either actions or inaction allow this number to get even higher in the future,

shouldn't it be actually simply called 'genocide', making not only given companies but also some of our bright politicians responsible in the light of international law.? 

2 hours ago, semente said:

Mining the Planet to DeathThe Dirty Truth About Clean Technologies

The poor South is being exploited so that the rich North can transition to environmental sustainability. Entire swaths of land are being destroyed to secure the resources needed to produce wind turbines and solar cells. Are there alternatives?

https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/mining-the-planet-to-death-the-dirty-truth-about-clean-technologies-a-696d7adf-35db-4844-80be-dbd1ab698fa3

Glad that world population is mentioned since it is obviously a huge factor.  I was lucky to have been part of an audience Q&A with the author of "How Many People Can the Earth Support?" in 1996 (my joke at the time was that I expected a one-page book with the numerical answer).  Like so many other issues related to climate, we seem incapable of connecting the dots - of population/arable land and use of land for production/the true environmental cost of production.  Hope Elon has some room for my family on Mars!

https://www.amazon.com/How-Many-People-Earth-Support-dp-0393038629/dp/0393038629/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

What climate change looks like from space:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/11/opinion/environment/climate-change-space.html

Note that data started to be gathered in the 1970s, when the forward thinking folks who put into place already knew the future was not bright for the earth.   Now having the data, our leaders are focusing on staying in power rather than making the changes needed.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

42 minutes ago, PYP said:

Note that data started to be gathered in the 1970s, when the forward thinking folks who put into place already knew the future was not bright for the earth.

True, the turning point should have been Hansen's congressional testimony in 1988 (G. Bush's words on greenhouse effect vs White House effect came after it).

42 minutes ago, PYP said:

Now having the data, our leaders are focusing on staying in power rather than making the changes needed.

Inertia. Status quo for 30+ years. Let's hope that the above article I linked to and the data are right, comrade and we don't need the democratic majority of 50% + 1, but only 25% of people with deep conviction. This research actually has really proved to be a nutritious food for my thought, fas42 would probably say pushed me into the zone but I don't want to reveal too much of my uber-extremist reflections on the topic..;)

10 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

A good read indeed.

I do wish, however, that people would stop looking at Norway as an example. Norway is very different from much of the world, getting almost all its own power from hydro-electric sources. It's also one of the largest oil exporters in the world, so overall not as 'green' as it is often made out to be.

6 hours ago, GregWormald said:

A good read indeed.

I do wish, however, that people would stop looking at Norway as an example. Norway is very different from much of the world, getting almost all its own power from hydro-electric sources. It's also one of the largest oil exporters in the world, so overall not as 'green' as it is often made out to be.

Yes Norway is best in class if we are talking about their own energy use and also has the largest fleet of electric vehicles per capita

Norway is big on oil exporters and even bigger on natural gas. This is IMO a bit like a drug dealer that doesn't use its own stuff but have no problem selling it to others.

OTOH natural gas is much better than coal, so maybe not as bad in the grand scheme of things after all! ?

7 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Norway is very different from much of the world, getting almost all its own power from hydro-electric sources.

Just like Iceland.

7 hours ago, GregWormald said:

It's also one of the largest oil exporters in the world, so overall not as 'green' as it is often made out to be.

Right!

54 minutes ago, Summit said:

This is IMO a bit like a drug dealer that doesn't use its own stuff but have no problem selling it to others.

A good one!

54 minutes ago, Summit said:

OTOH natural gas is much better than coal, so maybe not as bad in the grand scheme of things after all! ?

I'm afraid that 'in the grand scheme of things' ultimately all sources of carbon in the atmosphere are 'bad'. Even cows farts 9_9

Some usual c'n'p. This is also IMO very interesting.

"When it comes to climate finance, the gap between what is needed and what is on the table is dizzying. The talk at the conference was all about the annual $100bn (£75bn) that rich countries had promised to poorer nations back in 2009. The rich countries have now apologised for falling short. The new resolution is to make up the difference by 2022 and then negotiate a new framework. It is symbolically important and of some practical help. But, as everyone knows, it falls laughably short of what is necessary. John Kerry, America’s chief negotiator, said so himself in a speech to the CBI. It isn’t billions we need, it is trillions. Somewhere between $2.6tn and $4.6tn every year in funding for low-income countries to mitigate and adapt to the crisis. Those are figures, Kerry went on to say, no government in the world is going to match. Not America. Not China."

The Cop26 message? We are trusting big business, not states, to fix the climate crisis

And quite surprisingly the money is here, $130tn to be exact.

U.N. climate envoy Mark Carney, who assembled the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ), put the figure at $100 trillion over the next three decades, and said the finance industry must find ways to raise private money to take the effort far beyond what states alone can do.  "The money is here - but that money needs net zero-aligned projects and (then) there's a way to turn this into a very, very powerful virtuous circle - and that's the challenge," the former Bank of England governor told the summit. Carney's comments reflect a problem often cited by investors who, in the face of a myriad of climate-related risks, need to be sure that they are being accounted for in a transparent and preferably standardised way globally.

• 5 weeks later...

"A number of the world’s biggest record labels have united to commit to action on their environmental impact.

The three major labels – Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group – plus independents such as the Beggars and Secretly groups of labels, Warp, Ninja Tune and more, have signed the Music Climate Pact which will see them pledge “actionable climate targets”."

Music industry unites to pledge net-zero emissions by 2050

One more thing - also from this article:

"In October, Coldplay became one of the highest-profile acts to commit to a reduction in emissions, promising a 50% cut for their forthcoming world tour in comparison with their previous one."

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

mQa tried to get in on this environmental push by saying its product was more environmentally friendly. As usual, zero evidence provided.

I actually wanted to make a joke about the possibility of MQA being more environmental friendly than lossless while posting the above, seems I wasn't that far from (kinda, as usual in this case) truth..

x-Dx-Dx-D

But let's think about it for a second - aren't folded files with lower bit rate transmission numbers supposed to be more energy saving.?

9_9

Hmmmm.. maybe this time they don't lie (?) 

Maybe MQA is our only chance to save the world..

9_9

What do you think, guys.?