IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

On 6/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, vortecjr said:

I had to look it up:) I found this on a quick search. BTW I’m not making any claims.

AGC Chemicals Fluorocompounds Group, Exton, Penn., has introduced fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) foam concentrates to its portfolio of FEP melt processable compounds for LAN and coaxial cable insulation. When coated with foamed insulation produced from Fluon FEP concentrates, cables reportedly demonstrate minimal distortion and signal loss, and improved high-speed data transmission.” 

It also makes for an excellent toothpaste: but it does make one sleepy and listless out of the tap......

59 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

Which model did you get?

Supra MD-06US/SP ?

Supra MD-06US ?

Thanks...

The non-surge protected one (MD-06/US). We rarely have thunder here, and/or blackouts/brownouts. I think either would be a good choice depending on your needs. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

If I got a network switch with optical and used a Sonare OpticalModule to input the optical and output to wired Ethernet to feed directly into a DAC (for example Mola Mola Tambaqui) would this be a better solution than getting any of the Rendu models to convert to USB? Let's hypothetically  assume the sound quality and features between Ethernet connection and the USB connection on the DAC are the same.

@yyz

What you’re actually is asking is if the USB input is better than the ethernet input of that DAC. 

What is highly likely is putting a opticalModule in front will help. 

As in general so will the opticalRendu be the best solution for any USB-Audio input. 

So to be safe, you should start purchasing the Sonore products 😀

As those will help you select the best DAC for you. 

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@yyz

What you’re actually is asking is if the USB input is better than the ethernet input of that DAC. 

Actually not asking that since this is a generic question I am posing.  I used the Tambaqui DAC as an example since it has a wired Ethernet input and Roon Ready.  Another DAC that could we considered with Ehternet and Roon Ready is the new Hegal 590 integrated. I am sure there are others.

I was curious if the inputs were of equal quality would getting a Rendu be redundant. 

BTW - I already have a microRendu but that is not that relevant.

3 hours ago, yyz said:

If I got a network switch with optical and used a Sonare OpticalModule to input the optical and output to wired Ethernet to feed directly into a DAC (for example Mola Mola Tambaqui) would this be a better solution than getting any of the Rendu models to convert to USB? Let's hypothetically  assume the sound quality and features between Ethernet connection and the USB connection on the DAC are the same.

It would appear that a Rendu would at least give you more flexibility in term of the applications you can use because if the various output protocols. I’m not sure what sample rates each input supports, but typically USB has an advantage here as well. It’s not clear if the Ethernet input is Gigabit and it needs to be to work with the opticalModule. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, vortecjr said:

The Sonore opticalModule is a bi-directional fiber media converter or FMC. The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver on one side and an RJ45 connector on the other side. The unit can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network or convert your existing fiber optic network to a wired network. The unit can be used with a microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu series (ethernet or optical), or any other network endpoint.

FEATURES

1. High-quality low noise linear regulator
2. External power input jack
3. RJ45 input connector
4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

Hi folks,

I am going to buy an optical module and (in a few months an opticalRendu). I am currently a happy ultraRendu user who has been running fiber with 2 TP-Link FMCs and LPSs. I am looking for opinions about where to place the new OM. Since I also have to buy the SC to LC cable - (i run SC to SC now), - I don't EXACTLY need to know in advance, - but I have surface mount panduit that hides my cables going from NAS/Switch room to Audio room. (So the LC end needs to go with the OM).

What this means is that I'm looking for advice from folks who may have deployed one OM and am wondering if it would be better on the audio rack as the receiver to the UR or better at the NAS as a sender?

Obviously I am not going to buy 2 OMs as I'm getting an OR; but am just curious. My guess is that since the OM has a special clock, - that it'd be better as a receiver.  Interested in hearing only from folks who've some experience with the OM, and fiber, - and/or from Sonore.

Thanks in advance....

39 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Hi folks,

I am going to buy an optical module and (in a few months an opticalRendu). I am currently a happy ultraRendu user who has been running fiber with 2 TP-Link FMCs and LPSs. I am looking for opinions about where to place the new OM. Since I also have to buy the SC to LC cable - (i run SC to SC now), - I don't EXACTLY need to know in advance, - but I have surface mount panduit that hides my cables going from NAS/Switch room to Audio room. (So the LC end needs to go with the OM).

What this means is that I'm looking for advice from folks who may have deployed one OM and am wondering if it would be better on the audio rack as the receiver to the UR or better at the NAS as a sender?

Obviously I am not going to buy 2 OMs as I'm getting an OR; but am just curious. My guess is that since the OM has a special clock, - that it'd be better as a receiver.  Interested in hearing only from folks who've some experience with the OM, and fiber, - and/or from Sonore.

Thanks in advance....

Definitely have the opticalModule Ethernet connected to the ultraRendu, run one of the FMCs over optical to the opticalModule. This is much better sounding than the other way around. Of course this needs the SC to LC fiber cable.

When you get the opticalRendu you will need a LC to LC fiber cable.

John S.

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Definitely have the opticalModule Ethernet connected to the ultraRendu, run one of the FMCs over optical to the opticalModule. This is much better sounding than the other way around. Of course this needs the SC to LC fiber cable.

When you get the opticalRendu you will need a LC to LC fiber cable.

John S.

John, Thank you! Appreciate it. (yes, - I knew that I would need to buy a 3rd [LC to LC] fiber cable once the opticalRendu is bought).

On 7/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Definitely, the opticalModule draws significantly less than that. 5V is great for the opticalModule.

John S.

How much power is needed, is 300 or 500mA also enough?

Regards Micke

ECdesigns UPL96ETL > ECdesigns DA96ETF > Linkwitz ASP.4 > 8 x Hypex NC400 > Linkwitz LX521.4

42 minutes ago, rowli said:

How much power is needed, is 300 or 500mA also enough?

Regards Micke

I was asking about power earlier and was told the OM consumed around 500 ma. It runs cooler with lower voltages, so I'd suggest something with 5v/1a capability.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I have been getting a lot of emails requesting information about what devices can be optically isolated with an opticalModule. I have created a Google spreadsheet database to keep track of these devices that are supported. Please let me know any others you have tried.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NkmMn35dXt1n27ZYukxNLdDyZhnUdqmyDmNhoB2o4mc/edit?usp=sharing  

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I have been getting a lot of emails requesting information about what devices can be optically isolated with an opticalModule. I have created a Google spreadsheet database to keep track of these devices that are supported. Please let me know any others you have tried.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NkmMn35dXt1n27ZYukxNLdDyZhnUdqmyDmNhoB2o4mc/edit?usp=sharing  

The Rasberry PI 3B+ has a gigabit Ethernet jack, the bus the Ethernet chip is connected to is only 400Mb, but the connection speed at the jack is gigabit. The USB also shares the same bus so an Ethernet to USB configuration will probably have dropouts all over the place, but using a DAC hat should probably work.

I have a couple 3B+ boards (but no DAC hat) I can try squeezelite on one and see if it works at all.

The new 4B fixes all this so it should work great with the opticalModule.

John S.

I've used stock consumer-level Trendnet & TPLink FMCs and now a slightly modified (on-board 3.3V ADM7151-based regulator to allow a linear supply... in this case an LPS-1.2) Delock FMC with a variety of DAC hats (10-12 different types) & with / without various interface (isolators, reclockers, combination isolators/reclockers) cards (3 different isolators, 1 reclocker, 1 isolator/reclocker combo) with RPi 2B's, ripped CDs source material, and no upsampling. No hiccups whatsoever. Given the more advanced implementation of the opticalModule, I expect no hiccups up to 192 at least with RPi 2's & 3's.

AND as John mentioned, the 4B fixes the shared resources between the USB and Ethernet bottleneck and should work even better.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The Rasberry PI 3B+ has a gigabit Ethernet jack, the bus the Ethernet chip is connected to is only 400Mb, but the connection speed at the jack is gigabit. The USB also shares the same bus so an Ethernet to USB configuration will probably have dropouts all over the place, but using a DAC hat should probably work.

I have a couple 3B+ boards (but no DAC hat) I can try squeezelite on one and see if it works at all.

The new 4B fixes all this so it should work great with the opticalModule.

John S.

Good catch...I’ll update the spreadsheet.

5 hours ago, gstew said:

I've used stock consumer-level Trendnet & TPLink FMCs and now a slightly modified (on-board 3.3V ADM7151-based regulator to allow a linear supply... in this case an LPS-1.2) Delock FMC with a variety of DAC hats (10-12 different types) & with / without various interface (isolators, reclockers, combination isolators/reclockers) cards (3 different isolators, 1 reclocker, 1 isolator/reclocker combo) with RPi 2B's, ripped CDs source material, and no upsampling. No hiccups whatsoever. Given the more advanced implementation of the opticalModule, I expect no hiccups up to 192 at least with RPi 2's & 3's.

AND as John mentioned, the 4B fixes the shared resources between the USB and Ethernet bottleneck and should work even better.

Greg in Mississippi

Just keep in mind the opticalModule only works with 1000 Mb/s devices. The 4b should work as the specification states Gigabit support. John will let us know if the 3b works or not. 

Jesus,

Thanks for that info. Will be curious if the 3B works ok.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

@John769, It is on my radar to test single mode fiber at some point, but I am too busy to try it now.  If anyone is running single mode fiber cabling/SFPs with the opticalModule and/or optical/Rendu I would love to hear about it and your results.  As long as one uses 1 Gb modules it should work, but we at Sonore cannot recommend such until it is confirmed to work.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio