IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Hey, opticalModule users, here is the set-up we will use at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest to feed the optical signal to our Signature Rendu SEoptical.  This is the opticalModule with a prototype power supply (5 VDC 1A), Sonore AC cable, and custom (short) star quad, single crystal, copper DC cable.  Production versions of this power supply are in development, expected availability, 4-6 weeks after RMAF....

opticalM.jpeg

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Nice power cord from Sonore - which for me needing two meters would be 1.5X the price of the UltraSupply and 3X the price of the opticalModule! It had better sound good! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

18 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Nice power cord from Sonore - which for me needing two meters would be 1.5X the price of the UltraSupply and 3X the price of the opticalModule! It had better sound good! 

Indeed:) We are actually looking at offering a power supply cable just for the ultraSupply product line. 

8 hours ago, barrows said:

Hey, opticalModule users, here is the set-up we will use at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest to feed the optical signal to our Signature Rendu SEoptical.  This is the opticalModule with a prototype power supply (5 VDC 1A), Sonore AC cable, and custom (short) star quad, single crystal, copper DC cable.  Production versions of this power supply are in development, expected availability, 4-6 weeks after RMAF....

opticalM.jpeg

Can I use UltraSupply to power OM? What is the advantage of this power supply over UltraSupply to power OM?

I am looking for a PS for OM. If this new PS is better than UltraSupply, I rather wait.

5 minutes ago, Adyc said:

Can I use UltraSupply to power OM? What is the advantage of this power supply over UltraSupply to power OM?

I am looking for a PS for OM. If this new PS is better than UltraSupply, I rather wait.

IMO, 7 VDC is not ideal for the oM.  The power supply design for the oM is specifically designed for its requirements.  That is not to say that one could not use the ultraSupply for the oM, but the oM will run rather warm with 7 VDC input.

These two power supplies have different designs, but both are excellent, the new supply is just more suitable for the different power needs of the oM.  Price is unknown at this time, but will be similar to that of the ultraSupply 7.0 VDC.

SONORE computer audio

19 hours ago, barrows said:

IMO, 7 VDC is not ideal for the oM.  The power supply design for the oM is specifically designed for its requirements.  That is not to say that one could not use the ultraSupply for the oM, but the oM will run rather warm with 7 VDC input.

These two power supplies have different designs, but both are excellent, the new supply is just more suitable for the different power needs of the oM.  Price is unknown at this time, but will be similar to that of the ultraSupply 7.0 VDC.

Are you saying that the uptone ultra cap LPS-1 at 5V isn't well matched with the oM?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

39 minutes ago, dminches said:

Are you saying that the uptone ultra cap LPS-1 at 5V isn't well matched with the oM?

LPS 1.2 at 5 VDC is good for the opticalModule.  Sonore does not recommend the LPS 1 for any of our products.

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, barrows said:

LPS 1.2 at 5 VDC is good for the opticalModule.  Sonore does not recommend the LPS 1 for any of our products.

@barrows Are you sure about your statement that the LPS-1 is not recommended for ANY of the Sonore products ? I own 2 mrendus, for which the LPS-1 was highly praised when they both the LPS-1 and mrendu came out. Same for the ultrarendus. I think the LPS-1/LPS-2 are not recommended only for the optical rendu. Please clarify. 

I repeat:  Sonore does not recommend the LPS 1.0 for any of our products.  Indeed it will work for the microRendu, ultraRendu, and opticalModule, but it will not provide the best performance.  We do recommend the LPS 1.2 for those products (but not for the opticalRendu).

SONORE computer audio

Is the 5V Channel Islands Audio power supply ok to use with the oM?  I am asking because I already have one of those and would like to start there is it is acceptable.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Purchased one OM and got it hooked up today.  It replaced my Trendnet TFC-1000MGA.  Basically just replaced the Trendnet (plug n play) with the OM.

All I get is studdering (won't play for .5 sec) see sig for my gear/setup.  I'm using two identical FMC's = Cisco glc-sx-mm

OM is powered by Jameco reliapro 5W, 5V, 1 Amp from the Trendnet.

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG2216 (flow control enabled on ports) => Fiber comes from TL-SG2216 switch (laundry room) to listening room and the OM gets the fiber and then a short 8" Ethernet cable to mU in audio rack

If this is the same issue with the TP-Link FMC's => mU / endpoints wouldn't run very well using GB optical speed or something like that and Chris/Jabbor recommended using a dumb 10/100 switch, which solved the issue for many.  Thus the Trendnet FMC which is a 10/100/1000 FMC and has worked beautifully without issue since adopting that.  Not one issue.

Was seriously considering a OR after getting a OM going and not sure if this is a mU issue, but if one has to use an additional dumb switch in between OM and mU (in audio rack in my instance) I would be against that for obvious reasons.  I did however do that exact thing as a test => Prosafe GS105 5 port GB dumb switch.  Solved the issue. 

Ideas?

My rig

14 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Purchased one OM and got it hooked up today.  It replaced my Trendnet TFC-1000MGA.  Basically just replaced the Trendnet (plug n play) with the OM.

All I get is studdering (won't play for .5 sec) see sig for my gear/setup.  I'm using two identical FMC's = Cisco glc-sx-mm

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG2216 (flow control enabled on ports) => Fiber comes from TL-SG2216 switch (laundry room) to listening room and the OM gets the fiber and then a short 8" Ethernet cable to mU in audio rack

If this is the same issue with the TP-Link FMC's => mU / endpoints wouldn't run very well using GB optical speed or something like that and Chris/Jabbor recommended using a dumb 10/100 switch, which solved the issue for many.  Thus the Trendnet FMC which is a 10/100/1000 FMC and has worked beautifully without issue since adopting that.  Not one issue.

Was seriously considering a OR after getting a OM going and not sure if this is a mU issue, but if one has to use an additional dumb switch in between OM and mU (in audio rack in my instance) I would be against that for obvious reasons.  I did however do that exact thing as a test => Prosafe GS105 5 port GB dumb switch.  Solved the issue. 

Ideas?

Hiya

Do I understand correctly that you're feeding the OM directly from the TL-SG2216 switch in the laundry room? If so, - did you try rebooting the OM and then immediately after rebooting the TL-SG2216? Then, - restart that MRendu? This has been my process, - and almost always fixes either no connectivity, - or spitting....

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Ideas?

What output mode are you using? What version of Sonic Orbiter are you on and when was the last update?

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Hiya

Do I understand correctly that you're feeding the OM directly from the TL-SG2216 switch in the laundry room? If so, - did you try rebooting the OM and then immediately after rebooting the TL-SG2216? Then, - restart that MRendu? This has been my process, - and almost always fixes either no connectivity, - or spitting....

Cheers,

Yes correct.  I did turn off everything but the SG2216 switch (feeding house network) but certainly can try that.  I doubt that will resolve it but will try.  

Although there are no connectivity issues in so far as everything in the chain can see the mU.

ill restart everything (after the game !)

My rig

On 9/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, Foggie said:

Ideas?

Yes. The opticalModule didn't work with HQP for me using SDM output and higher Bit rate.

My solution was that my fantastic swedish distributor bought back my ultraRendu and I bought a opticalRendu that works and sounds amazing with any settings on the HQPlayer.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:00 AM, sgb said:

Yes. The opticalModule dosn't work with HQP if you are using SDM output and higher Bit rate. I had the same problem. It worked when I put a switch between the OM and the DAC. But that's not a good solution.

My solution was that my fantastic swedish distributor bought back my ultraRendu and I bought a opticalRendu that works and sounds amazing with any settings on the HQPlayer.

The opticalModule and opticalRendu combination will always works well with HQ Player and NAA because the opticalRendu has built in flow control capabilities. When you use a microRendu or ultraRendu with an opticalModule the flow control is requested but your switch or router has to handle the request which can be hit or mis on some systems.